British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Residency after 55? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/residency-after-55-a-573376/)

ramlmmjem Nov 16th 2008 6:01 am

Residency after 55?

I'm talking to an organisation about a possible job and am interested in knowing whether it is possible to get residency if you first get a work permit after the age of 55. (I am 58). If possible, I'd like to have the option of moving to NZ permanently after the job finished/retirement eventually comes along. If its not possible, it wouldn't negate my desire to work/live in NZ for a time.

Any thoughts/advice welcome.

Thanks

Alistair

jennifer45 Nov 16th 2008 10:28 am

Re: Residency after 55?

Originally Posted by ramlmmjem (Post 6977480)
I'm talking to an organisation about a possible job and am interested in knowing whether it is possible to get residency if you first get a work permit after the age of 55. (I am 58). If possible, I'd like to have the option of moving to NZ permanently after the job finished/retirement eventually comes along. If its not possible, it wouldn't negate my desire to work/live in NZ for a time.

Any thoughts/advice welcome.

Thanks

Alistair

Hi Alistair,
it's difficult to find on the NZIS site but I hope the following extracts are of help.

Long Term Skill Shortage List Work Policy requirements
Requirements you must meet
In addition to meeting our requirements for health and good character you will need to show us that:

you have an offer of employment which meets our requirements (see below)
you are suitably qualified through either training or experience to do the job
you are either fully or provisionally registered – if your occupation requires registration in New Zealand.

You should be under 53 years of age when you apply for the work visa or permit. This is because you have to be under 56 years to be eligible for residence after two years.

Talent (Accredited Employers) Work Policy requirements
Requirements you must meet
In addition to meeting our requirements for health and character you need to be aged 55 years or under.

Talent (Arts, Culture and Sports) Work Policy requirements
Requirements
In addition to meeting our requirements for health and character you need to:

be aged 55 years or under
have exceptional talent in your field
be sponsored by a New Zealand organisation of national repute.

Even if you have a couple of million to invest- you can't buy the residency if you are over 55 before it's granted.
What happens if I reach age 55 while my EOI is still in the Pool?
You cannot apply for residence under the General (Active) Investor Category if you are aged 55 or over at the time of your application. In that situation your EOI would be removed from the Pool.

Guess that sums up the enormous value NZ attaches to its residency and why it is so well protected but why they use 55 as a cut off defeats me.( I was at my 'professional peak' at that age)

I suppose we could be considered as sneaking in the back door on our son's coat-tail, but the length of time they're taking may well result in funeral costs as opposed to 'care' costs.
Joke-;)

gyroman Nov 18th 2008 7:58 pm

Alistair.
You may have to rely on the Lottery! If you have $10 million and and some business experience you may qualify under the Professional Investor category.
Age limit there is 64.
Regards
Chris

jennifer45 Nov 18th 2008 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by gyroman (Post 6986533)
Alistair.
You may have to rely on the Lottery! If you have $10 million and and some business experience you may qualify under the Professional Investor category.
Age limit there is 64.
Regards
Chris

Fantastic!:D
Hubby is only 62 (my toy boy)
Where is that great info inscribed?
Any particular business?::profession?:o
Might get things moving quicker!

gyroman Nov 18th 2008 10:29 pm

On the NZIS site under Business. Investor Migration.
If you have 20 mil to invest there is no age limit.:)

jennifer45 Nov 19th 2008 10:10 am

Originally Posted by gyroman (Post 6987096)
On the NZIS site under Business. Investor Migration.
If you have 20 mil to invest there is no age limit.:)

Oh!:(
It's gone up to 20 mill now.:frown:
Ah well, just have to stay out later:D
Now where did I put 'Crowns' number?

becky667 Nov 19th 2008 10:37 am

Doesn't this only apply for the principal applicant?

If your sponsored, then does it have an upper age limit?

jennifer45 Nov 19th 2008 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by becky667 (Post 6988680)
Doesn't this only apply for the principal applicant?

If your sponsored, then does it have an upper age limit?

If your sponsored then there is no upper age limit.:D

Just like that wonderful gentleman who sailed to NZ last year with his second wife (a Kiwi) who sponsored him. If my memory serves me right , he was 102, as sharp as a button and displayed a wonderful sense of humour. He's living somewhere in Nelson. Bev's will know more.
They can take their time with parents (family category) because we're the bottom of the barrel, the sludge, the pits. Oh I know they state they have a positive policy toward family unification, but the number of hoops placed along the path when seeking PR makes you question the validity of that 'policy'. That's looking at it from a purely selfish viewpoint. When all's said and done NZ has a small population of which a large percentage is like the rest of the developed world OLD-no longer earning- therefore no longer paying, therefore likely to become a burden on the state.
Poppycott!!!:mad:
I challenge that perception.
Many seniors have worked hard/saved hard/ invested/and paid into the system in order to support themselves in old age.
The sponsoring child has to prove he has a good enough salary to support parents for the first 2 years. (laughable as we're always subbing them!)
I asked once if it were possible for us to sign a waiver to any medical help from the NZ health authority or any financial assistance from the Government. The reply- "No".:p
We accept that patience is a virtue and whatever NZIS says or decides, is for a reason. A very good reason.:) And all the officers who work in the London Office and may be given our case to decide are quite awesome.:)
And we thank you from the bottom of our hearts.
(I hope they don't rush us through. Nothings selling round here apart from Xmas Lights!)

ramlmmjem Nov 20th 2008 10:12 pm

Re: Residency after 55? and random thoughts on Auckland

Thanks a lot to everyone.Helpful and raised a smile!

Now just got to get a job as the lottery coordinator...that should do it!!

Any random thoughts on Auckland?

Alistair

jennifer45 Nov 20th 2008 10:35 pm

Re: Residency after 55? and random thoughts on Auckland

Originally Posted by ramlmmjem (Post 6994520)
Thanks a lot to everyone.Helpful and raised a smile!

Now just got to get a job as the lottery coordinator...that should do it!!

Any random thoughts on Auckland?

Alistair

It's big, busy, expensive, crowded and sticky but there are some beautiful places and the people are for the most part friendly and helpful.
I fly into it and out of it and once did a U turn near the top of a very steep hill when I passed the turn off for the motor-way.
Yes-I know you folk who live there have done it numerous times.
I was driving a 4 ton 6 berth motor home:o
Amazing how quiet my husband became as it settled back onto 4 wheels.;)
Happy days! :rolleyes: