Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Residence granted - help pls to understand conditions

Residence granted - help pls to understand conditions

Old Aug 12th 2011, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

MissMarple is a jewel in the roughMissMarple is a jewel in the roughMissMarple is a jewel in the roughMissMarple is a jewel in the rough
Default Residence granted - help pls to understand conditions

Hello.

We are delighted that we have been awarded residence under the skilled migrant category, which has been given as residence a condition. I'd like to check we understand it so we don't mess things up and seek wise advice from the BE community.

The visa says that "It is valid for further travel for 24 months from first arrival. Initial stay subject to grant of entry permission.Visa is invalid if holder is outside NZ with expired travel conditions".

Would this enable to to go on a job seeking trip before my via expires and would I be permitted to come back to the UK to serve notice on my job and pack up my affairs here without messing up my visa? I'm confused about travel variation visas and if I need one of those.

Also, are all skilled migrants granted residence, rather than permanent residence?

Thank you all, for your help.

Jules

Last edited by MissMarple; Aug 12th 2011 at 4:50 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

johnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nice
Default Re: Residence granted - help pls to understand conditions

I have a residence visa under the family (partnership) stream but it sounds like the wording is similar, though I'd suggest you double check. I had 12 months to enter NZ after my visa was issued and then after I enter my visa is valid for travel (which as I understand it at its most basic means that they will let me back in if I leave temporarily) for 24 months. If I am in NZ when that 24 months is up then I can apply for a further visa, maybe a permanent residence visa if I satisfy the various conditions about time spent in the country etc. If I happened to be out of the country then it would be more difficult to reapply.
A few weeks ago I went on a recce having been granted my visa earlier this year, now I'm back in the UK and my passport has a 'ENTRY' stamp in it which as I understand it is the start of the 24 months bit. The most bemusing bit was filling out the departure card at Auckland airport on the way back to the UK, the immigration officer had to look at it 2 or 3 times because I'm intending to live in NZ but at the time was leaving after a visit(as I had no permanent NZ address). I'll be back in NZ for good in a few weeks if everything goes to plan.
John.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

MissMarple is a jewel in the roughMissMarple is a jewel in the roughMissMarple is a jewel in the roughMissMarple is a jewel in the rough

Hi John,

Thanks so much for your reply; it sounds exactly how I would plan to go first to try to get a job. Unless you are in something that is a straight transfer, i.e. nursing it's not easy to be considered whilst sat here in blighty.

I probably need to present myself in person and get some interviews under my belt.

May I ask what your trade/profession is please?

Best of luck by the way!

Jules
Old Aug 13th 2011, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

johnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nice

Originally Posted by MissMarple
Hi John,

May I ask what your trade/profession is please?

Best of luck by the way!

Jules
I'm a redundant structural design engineer, looking at buying a camp site (or in NZ-speak a holiday park). I spent the end of June/beginning of July dodging Chilean ash clouds on my travels the length of NZ looking at ones for sale.

John.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Hi John,

Best of luck with your new venture. We met some fab people last year in Twizel, who had done the same thing.

Jules
Old Aug 14th 2011, 7:00 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I'm not sure I understand. You were granted NZ Residency last December without a job offer?

Also nursing is one occupation where a job offer could ensue whilst still overseas .
Old Aug 14th 2011, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Bev,

I'll try to explain further - maybe I was as clear as mud in the earlier request for help.

We were granted residency in Dec, got our blue stamps in April 11 and are in the 12 month period in which we have to enter NZ by April 12.

My query is that we want to go on a job hunting trip, with my profession in Procurement I need to meet potential employers to get a job. It's not so easy to be considered from over here.

I wanted to check if we could enter, have a recce for job hunting and then come back to the UK to sort our affairs out. It seems that we can.

I hope that helps make things clearer. Thanks for your help.

Jules
Old Aug 15th 2011, 3:16 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Ah! With your residency visa you are able to leave and return to NZ.

On gaining residency you are issued with a 'Resident Visa with travel conditions' This allows you to enter NZ as a resident for the 1st time, to return to NZ as a resident if you go overseas and also acts as a residence permit. This visa lasts for 2 years. In effect there is little change from what happens now but the terminology is different
Old Aug 15th 2011, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Bevs