British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   IT related help needed please! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/related-help-needed-please-479879/)

palvanie Sep 8th 2007 4:20 pm

IT related help needed please!

hello everyone

i am sure somebody here would toss up an advise. I am IT professional, mainly working with ip based voice technologies and platforms. I also have to undertake software deveopment tasks. My over all experience in the industry is around 6 years.

What route should be pursued, should a consultant be hired from kiwi land, who can restassure that we get a vlaid job offer from nz, or should we travel to nz and live there for a few weeks and get the job offer ourselves. Either ways we are pursuing a work visa, can we perhaps become permanent residents while being on a work permit?

Are there any nzis approved/authentic consultants who can procure a job offer for their clients? I think the costs of travelling to nz from south asia, then living there for a few weeks would be as much as hiring a consultant and have him procure a job offer, isnt it?

Please advise.

Best regards.

happynz Sep 8th 2007 8:42 pm

Re: IT related help needed please!

Originally Posted by palvanie (Post 5288862)
hello everyone

Hello palvanie.

i am sure somebody here would toss up some advice. I am IT professional, mainly working with ip based voice technologies and platforms. I also have to undertake software development tasks. My overall experience in the industry is around 6 years.

That should be worth a few points. Do you have a degree in Computer Science? If you don't have this particular degree you will find immigration to New Zealand not as straightforward.

What route should be pursued, should a consultant be hired from kiwi land, who can be rest assured that we get a valid job offer from nz,

I think a consultant should be hired to write up your CV.

...or should we travel to nz and live there for a few weeks and get the job offer ourselves. Either way we are pursuing a work visa, can we perhaps become permanent residents while being on a work permit?

If you come here as a visitor and you find an employer who can sponsor you, you can apply for a temporary work permit. Once you have your work permit you can submit your EOI as the first step in securing permanent residency.

Are there any nzis approved/authentic consultants who can procure a job offer for their clients?

I believe that immigration agents have to be approved by NZIS. This is a rather recent development. Before anyone who wanted to call themselves an immigration consultant could do so without any sort of qualifications. At any rate, personally I'd be leery of any immigration consultant who promises work and PR for a fee. There have been many cases here where immigration consultants have been busted for running shady operations that promise jobs and PR. If you decide to go this route, be careful and get references.

I think the costs of travelling to nz from south asia,

Contact the New Zealand embassy in your South Asian nation and request the materials for immigrating as a skilled migrant.

...then living there for a few weeks would be as much as hiring a consultant and have him procure a job offer, isnt it?

Mate, if you are worried about the costs now, wait till you start adding up the fees that the New Zealand government is going to ask for.

Please advise.

I think I just did.

Best regards.

Regards to you and good luck.

palvanie Sep 9th 2007 5:06 am

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5289462)
Hello palvanie.

That should be worth a few points. Do you have a degree in Computer Science? If you don't have this particular degree you will find immigration to New Zealand not as straightforward.
I think a consultant should be hired to write up your CV.
If you come here as a visitor and you find an employer who can sponsor you, you can apply for a temporary work permit. Once you have your work permit you can submit your EOI as the first step in securing permanent residency.
I believe that immigration agents have to be approved by NZIS. This is a rather recent development. Before anyone who wanted to call themselves an immigration consultant could do so without any sort of qualifications. At any rate, personally I'd be leery of any immigration consultant who promises work and PR for a fee. There have been many cases here where immigration consultants have been busted for running shady operations that promise jobs and PR. If you decide to go this route, be careful and get references.
Contact the New Zealand embassy in your South Asian nation and request the materials for immigrating as a skilled migrant.
Mate, if you are worried about the costs now, wait till you start adding up the fees that the New Zealand government is going to ask for.

I think I just did.

Regards to you and good luck.

Thanks heaps happynz. What you have suggested does make a lot of sense, speacialy being vigilent of those consultants who promise a valid job etc...

I actually have a diploma in computer science, as well as a degree in the said discipline (a bachelors degree that is). Is it important, if so why?

Should i decide to pop over for a couple of weeks, what sort of expense should i plan for. Would 3 grands (nz $) for a couple of weeks be alright?
What sort of temporary boarding and lodging facilities do we have there in nz?
Any budget hotels for travellers? Any suggestions? Any specific time of the year, you might recommend for travelling to nz? i might be travelling to malaysia in jan 08 to see my old man, would that be a good time to visit the employers right after the Xmas break?

regards and best wishes again.

happynz Sep 9th 2007 7:34 am

Originally Posted by palvanie (Post 5290230)
Thanks heaps happynz. What you have suggested does make a lot of sense, speacialy (especially) being vigilent (vigilant) of those consultants who promise a valid job etc...

I actually have a diploma in computer science, as well as a degree in the said discipline (a bachelors degree that is). Is it important, if so why?

With your computer science degree and verifiable work experience together with a job offer should see you have a very good chance of having a successful outcome in acquiring permanent residency.

Should i decide to pop over for a couple of weeks, what sort of expense should i plan for. Would 3 grands (nz $) for a couple of weeks be alright?

That amount should be OK.

What sort of temporary boarding and lodging facilities do we have there in nz?
Any budget hotels for travellers? Any suggestions? Any specific time of the year, you might recommend for travelling to nz? i might be travelling to malaysia in jan 08 to see my old man, would that be a good time to visit the employers right after the Xmas break?

regards and best wishes again.

January will still see many offices on holiday mode. February may be a better time as more people will be back from their holidays.

Backpackers (hostel style accommodations) are less expensive options. You can also check out such sites as www.wotif.com for motel options.

Good luck.

palvanie Sep 13th 2007 2:32 am

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5290382)
With your computer science degree and verifiable work experience together with a job offer should see you have a very good chance of having a successful outcome in acquiring permanent residency.
That amount should be OK.
January will still see many offices on holiday mode. February may be a better time as more people will be back from their holidays.

Backpackers (hostel style accommodations) are less expensive options. You can also check out such sites as www.wotif.com for motel options.

Good luck.

Thanks again mate. Happnz would you perhaps share an insight into the nz it&t job market? mainly my field of work deals with the enterprise infrastructure part of the business(data networks, voip networks, predictive dialers, crms ets). Does that have a positive trend as far as employability goes in the nz it&t market? is there an info source on those trends.

best regards.

happynz Sep 13th 2007 2:43 am

Originally Posted by palvanie (Post 5304900)
Thanks again mate. Happnz would you perhaps share an insight into the nz it&t job market? mainly my field of work deals with the enterprise infrastructure part of the business(data networks, voip networks, predictive dialers, crms ets). Does that have a positive trend as far as employability goes in the nz it&t market? is there an info source on those trends.

best regards.

:lol:

Mate, now you're speaking a foreign language. I'm not in the IT business. Sorry, I have no idea what a VOIP network is nor what a predictive dialer does. Perhaps you'd be better off contacting IT industries here in New Zealand directly and finding out what they are up to.

palvanie Sep 14th 2007 2:22 am

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5304919)
:lol:

Mate, now you're speaking a foreign language. I'm not in the IT business. Sorry, I have no idea what a VOIP network is nor what a predictive dialer does. Perhaps you'd be better off contacting IT industries here in New Zealand directly and finding out what they are up to.

:D

No worries mate! You had been very helpful regardless. I d see if i can contact some of the recruiting companies.

(voip is essentially sending voice data over the a packet based network e.g internet from one network to another, prdictive dialer is a computer telephony and telecommunication application mainly used in contact centers to enhance productivity, crm is a software to manage customer relations and front office functions etc)

cheers.

Maz Sep 14th 2007 7:24 pm

These two agencies have been very helpful to me:

http://www.absoluteit.co.nz/absolute.../home?openform

http://www.searchworks.co.nz/

Best of luck with your search! Belinda Lally at the former and Paul Siimpson at the latter have been my contacts - great people!!!

palvanie Sep 16th 2007 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 5312493)
These two agencies have been very helpful to me:

http://www.absoluteit.co.nz/absolute.../home?openform

http://www.searchworks.co.nz/

Best of luck with your search! Belinda Lally at the former and Paul Siimpson at the latter have been my contacts - great people!!!

Maz;

Much appriciated. Thank you very much for extending help. I shall get in touch with them at the earliest.

Are you perhaps a voice engineer/ professional as well?

best regards.

Maz Sep 16th 2007 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by palvanie (Post 5317043)
Maz;

Much appriciated. Thank you very much for extending help. I shall get in touch with them at the earliest.

Are you perhaps a voice engineer/ professional as well?

best regards.

Not in the VoIP area myself, but I am in IT. I have managed to secure a full-time, permanent job offer with an accredited employer. I didn't use an agency for this, I found their careers site myself and registered. I'll PM you a little info on that, please keep it between you and me, thanks. :)

palvanie Sep 16th 2007 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 5318221)
Not in the VoIP area myself, but I am in IT. I have managed to secure a full-time, permanent job offer with an accredited employer. I didn't use an agency for this, I found their careers site myself and registered. I'll PM you a little info on that, please keep it between you and me, thanks. :)

Maz;

Thanks for replying again. I just pmed you as well.

All the best and well done.

best regards.