Rejected :(

Old Jan 5th 2010, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

Biz-R is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rejected :(

Hi guys, long time lurker-reader and making a post I hoped I would never have to make. I submitted the EOI in early December which was selected but has sadly since been rejected.

I'm an IT Professional, been in the industry 12 years and have never needed a degree, yet I've just received confirmation from confirmation from NZQA that my apprenticeship/NVQs in IT don't count and that none of my accreditations will be assessed to NZ standards, leaving me with a dismal 60 points on my application.

I'm completely at a loss as what to do now, I don't want to give up on my dream but all they have been able to suggest is that a job offer would ensure my application is accepted. I'm sure I don't need to tell you how unlikely that is
Old Jan 5th 2010, 5:38 pm

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rejected :(

Sorry to hear your rejection news Biz, they really are very picky.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong but I dont think you need to submit an EOI to get a working holiday visa? Perhaps you could get this visa and then try to convert it to a more permanent one once your employed in NZ?

Just an idea, not sure its viable!
Old Jan 5th 2010, 5:47 pm

george toni is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi really sorry to hear that.

This might suck but how about getting on a degree course and just ploding on untill you get that important bit of paper?

might seem like a long route but might be the only way as finding a job at the moment will be hard down to the climate.

Spend time now gaining the degree and then in 2-3 years time im sure things will pick up just in time for you to make that degree work for you.

not sure on your economic status needs but other way would be to pay international fees and do the degree here in NZ.

you could get a part time job with a student visa but not for much work. However doing it here might open a few doors/contacts and who is to say that while you are doing it that you cant apply for jobs.

If you managed to land one you could put in the EOI.Im sure most employers would then let you carry on with the degree part time?

all crap ideas as im sure as with most you need an income.However if you do get a student visa I think if youre partner came she could get a work permit.

I dont have a clue on that sort of stuff so dont take my advice call NZIS direct here in NZ they can advise you.

good luck

george
Old Jan 5th 2010, 8:16 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Oh dear . Sorry to read this.

Perhaps start a thread in the main NZ forum about IT job opportunities in NZ & what exp. is required. You never know someone might come along with a few suggestions.

If you are young enough , you could perhaps think of a working holiday visa, as suggested & then if you find a job offer which is acceptable to NZIS, you could apply for a temporary work permit . Boots on the NZ ground is always better when it comes to finding a job. After a year or two , you could try for PR with the points for the job and also for NZ work experience.

Just suggestions though.

Have you been in contact with the Unlimited Potential website. It's for IT profs.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

Hijacking the thread somewhat.
BEVS, thanks for that UP link!

Actually thinking about it, you still have skills in a growth area plus they are in a skills shortage.
There would be other means to live and work in the country, not just via EOI as people of mentioned.

Don't let it knock you back, if it was easy everyone would be doing it.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

Biz-R is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions all.

To fill you in somewhat I am 30 in February, and must confess to knowing nothing of the Working Holiday Visa as I was concentrating on PR but I shall have to have a look into it.

I had resigned myself to looking at what courses would have given me a comparable qualification but other than degrees (which I didn't really want the expense or delay of) I would be nervous doing anything else in the worry that it would again be knocked back!

Sadly I could not afford to be out of work for the length of time to study anything substantial in NZ so it looks like that option is out. Thanks for the website BEVS, I shall certainly check it out.

Keeping my chin up, but it's certainly been a big blow. Incredibly frustrating to find out that NZQA don't seem to believe Windows is the same in every country!
Old Jan 6th 2010, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

jjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Biz-R
Hi guys, long time lurker-reader and making a post I hoped I would never have to make. I submitted the EOI in early December which was selected but has sadly since been rejected.

I'm an IT Professional, been in the industry 12 years and have never needed a degree, yet I've just received confirmation from confirmation from NZQA that my apprenticeship/NVQs in IT don't count and that none of my accreditations will be assessed to NZ standards, leaving me with a dismal 60 points on my application.

I'm completely at a loss as what to do now, I don't want to give up on my dream but all they have been able to suggest is that a job offer would ensure my application is accepted. I'm sure I don't need to tell you how unlikely that is
Hi,

i'm a refrigeration engineer, my jobs been removed from skills shortage list, so in the same boat, but its a case that got a good job in uk, well paid, so just carry on regardless, but fell sorry for you but thats nz goverment for you.

j.j.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 12:17 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Australia is somewhat more open to "qualified by experience" IT practitioners but it depends on circumstances.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

maccaronda is an unknown quantity at this point

Keep trying, I really think they need to sort this mess out!!