REFUSED PR - Visa for plumber

Old Dec 12th 2009, 8:16 am
Just Joined

philheather is an unknown quantity at this point
Default REFUSED PR - Visa for plumber

TOLD TODAY THAT PR REFUSED WE WILL ONLY BE OFFERED WTR VISA AS I HAVE YET TO GET JOB OFFER
AS WE HAVE TO SELL HOUSE AND ORGANISE EVERYTHING WITH TWO CHILDREN AT SCHOOL IT SEEMS THAT WE ARE NOT WANTED, ALTHOUGH WE ARE BOTH SKILLED I AM A PLUMBER, AND MY WIFE IS A BANK CLERK AND ALSO QUALIFIED FLORIST
HAS THIS HAPPENED TO ANYONE ELSE AS READING ON THIS SITE PEOPLE SEEM TO GET PR WITHOUT JOB OFFER

THANKS
Old Dec 12th 2009, 8:27 am
appreciate life

willand tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: REFUSED PR

Originally Posted by philheather
TOLD TODAY THAT PR REFUSED WE WILL ONLY BE OFFERED WTR VISA AS I HAVE YET TO GET JOB OFFER
AS WE HAVE TO SELL HOUSE AND ORGANISE EVERYTHING WITH TWO CHILDREN AT SCHOOL IT SEEMS THAT WE ARE NOT WANTED, ALTHOUGH WE ARE BOTH SKILLED I AM A PLUMBER, AND MY WIFE IS A BANK CLERK AND ALSO QUALIFIED FLORIST
HAS THIS HAPPENED TO ANYONE ELSE AS READING ON THIS SITE PEOPLE SEEM TO GET PR WITHOUT JOB OFFER

THANKS
Gutted for you. Are either of your jobs on the skilled shortage list? How many points do you have? hope you can work something out, keep us posted.

Tina and Will.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 8:58 am
Just Joined

philheather is an unknown quantity at this point

HI
MY JOB IS ON SKILLED SHORTAGE LIST AND WE HAVE OVER 130 POINTS FOR MY SKILL AND EXPERIENCE
I SEE THAT YOU HAVE PR DO YOU HAVE JOB TO GO TO

PHIL
Old Dec 12th 2009, 9:09 am
appreciate life

willand tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of light

HI
MY JOB IS ON SKILLED SHORTAGE LIST AND WE HAVE OVER 130 POINTS FOR MY SKILL AND EXPERIENCE

PHIL
Yeah, I am a nurse. I cannot understand how they can refuse you without leaving you in the poole for a while

Tina
Old Dec 12th 2009, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Mudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really nice

THANKS
Really sorry to hear your news, is there any chance of going to appeal? did they give you any reason?
Old Dec 12th 2009, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

This isn't unheard of. I'd be happy with WTR, as least it lets you in to NZ to look for a job. As a plumber you'll still have to sit the NZ board exams,eh? (BEVS?) It doesn't mean they don't want you and it doesn't mean you've been refused entry. Sometimes it's because they worry about your ability to settle or your chance of getting a job - thinking along the current job climate.
Don't be disheartened, I'd grab it and get over there to start looking for employment
Old Dec 12th 2009, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

alchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of light

HI

PHIL
hi Phil I think what it means is with certain skilled proffessions eg plumber, electrician because you need registration in order to get a job in NZ they will ONLY grant WTR. It's not so bad once offered WTR you then have 3 months to apply then you have 9 months in which to be in and working in NZ. After you have worked in your proffesion for 3 months you will be granted PR. I can understand your concerns as we too were given WTR last year, but like you had the house to sell. We unfortunately despite dropping a considerable amount could not do so the visa ended up expiring. So this time around we have sold- now in a rented property and have recently submitted our ITA. Good luck.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

THANKS
Hey honey, sorry to hear the news - thats pants - but YOU SHALL OVERCOME

If its any help we were in this situation (although slightly different) earlier this year.

My Oh is in IT
He has over 10 years experience
Has a qualification relevant which was graded at level 8 by NZQA
and has an occupation on skill shortage list

NOT ENOUGH

Turns out the qualification - whilst in e-commerce - didnt have IT in the title so the immigration wouldnt consider it relevant - without the recognition of the qualification they wouldnt look at the work experience - right back down to 100 points

He had to go and get the job - which he did in May - in order to get any further than the EOI

It happens to the best of us - keep trying - we fly with PR on the 5 jan - tis the season of good will, peace, love and understanding - i wish you all the very best in your quest

At the end of the day YOU could be the best thing that hasnt happened to NZ yet

Psycho xx
Old Dec 12th 2009, 5:23 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

WTR is not a refusal. I'm with you it doesn't feel as good as getting PR but it's still better than nothing. We're afraid of getting WTR instead of PR too as our application is going through the Shanghai branch which seems to give out WTR far more than it does PR. The problem with WTR is that you have 9 months (I think) to get a job, which can be a tad stressful. Hopefully you'll get through it all. Wishing you the very best in what you decide to do
Old Dec 12th 2009, 5:35 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Since the recession, things are done differently. I gained PR over 18 months ago, without a job offer.

With WTR at least you can come over and start your new life, then apply for PR, once you are both employed and contributing to New Zealand.

Good luck on your decision but having got this far, it wouldn't make a lot of sense not to carry on through with it all.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

I am waiting for my PR decision....I was told next week sometime.....not really sure if we will go as things have changed a lot since we first applied. No job offer and not even close to one.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j19fmm
This isn't unheard of. I'd be happy with WTR, as least it lets you in to NZ to look for a job. As a plumber you'll still have to sit the NZ board exams,eh? (BEVS?) It doesn't mean they don't want you and it doesn't mean you've been refused entry. Sometimes it's because they worry about your ability to settle or your chance of getting a job - thinking along the current job climate.
Don't be disheartened, I'd grab it and get over there to start looking for employment
Ditto the above
Old Dec 13th 2009, 4:41 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be disappointed. Many come out on WTR. When you submit your ITA there's 3 outcomes, either PR or WTR is granted or you get declied. Why would you think your not wanted when you've been offered a chance to come to NZ?
Old Dec 13th 2009, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
Don't be disappointed. Many come out on WTR. When you submit your ITA there's 3 outcomes, either PR or WTR is granted or you get declied. Why would you think your not wanted when you've been offered a chance to come to NZ?
Ditto
Old Dec 13th 2009, 8:13 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

You were not refused PR . You have been given a WTR visa as NZIS feel there is a need to demonstrate the ability to settle and find work on a practical level.

I'll quote that part of the residency policy in a seperate post below for you and anyone else looking in.

For a plumber to be granted PR , they need to have PGDB registration per the NZIS policy about registration.
Unfortunately an overseas plumber cannot gain PGDB registration without taking the 4 days of assessments and exams and these are only held in Wellington NZ. I'm not even sure how often they are held. Maybe just twice a year for instance..
It's a catch 22 and an impossibility for the overseas plumber not yet in NZ. So, no PR.
It wasn't always like this. At one time if you had the letter from the PGDB stating you were eligible to take registration, then that , alongside the PGDB assessment of your overseas quals was enough to satisfy NZIS. There again there was a shortage of plumbers then. There isn't now.

What you were probably able to show was the letter from the PGDB which stated they considered you eligible to sit their assessments and exams. This would have been as part of yuor quals assessment or it should have been at least.
As you know the PGDB does not fully recognise any overseas qualifications.
In order to pass the registration exam one does need a good working knowledge of the rules, regs and working practices here + some algebra and geometry. The only way to do that is to study the NZ/OZ standards & codes ., the plumbing act etc.as there will be questions that relate to these. The exam , IMHO, is incredibly old-fashioned so one also needs to practice the exam techniques for the paper.

Another reason you will have been given the WTR , in my opinion only of course, is that plumbers are no longer in shortage here in New Zealand. They were removed from the shortages lists a few months ago at the last review. In fact, many plumbers and tradespeople have found themselves short of work or out of work during this past year. My husband has been on short hours for the best part of the year now. Trade firms in their efforts to keep their tradesmen employed have been known to operate a rota scheme of 4 / 3 day weeks. Apprentices, which cost a firm virtually nothing, have been set down in some case. This may have picked up a little. It may not have. There is always a rush and flurry of activity before the Christmas and New Year shiut down. In any case, this is recession so as a word of caution I will say to you that trade jobs have been very thin on the ground.

As plumbing has been removed from the shortages lists , this means that any NZ employer that wants to offer you a job will need to prove that there is no suitable NZ resident or citizen that could take that job. PGDB registered or otherwise. The employer would need to show proof of advertising, training policies, apprenticeship placements etc.

I'd hazard a guess that if you had had a job offer in place during your application ( and that application was with NZIS before the bi-annual review) then you would have possibly gained PR even without the PGDB registration. This would have been because you and the NZ employer would have demonstrated the ability for you to practically settle ( income ) .
You would have applied for and gain the PGDB limited license thereby putting you on the first rung, so to speak, towards the required PGDB registration in this country. NZIS would have covered themselves in that all your work , under a limited license, would be directly supervised and signed off by a fully qualified PGDB plumber.

I hope this goes some way towards maybe explaing why you have been offered a WTR rather than a PR in this instance.

As for not being wanted. It's not personal. I'd say the terminology should read - my trade skill is no longer needed as there is no shortage to fill.

Most all of the trade skills were removed from the shortages lists at the last review. There is just not enough work to go around at the moment.

you find a job and work.

Good luck !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.