Reconsidering 8 years on

Old Jun 1st 2018, 7:29 am
Just Joined

Curlu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Reconsidering 8 years on

Hi everyone
My husband and I last looked at NZ as an immigration option in around 2011 when he was 51 and applied for a job which he then did not get. Moving on 7 years, he is now 58 and has an employer very interested in getting him to apply for a role, he is a neuropsychologist with considerable experience, a profession that is on the long term skills shortage list from what I can tell. Given that he is now 58, am I right in thinking that he can get an essential skills work visa despite his age if he has a job offer?

The role he is considering is in Dunedin....I know this is the Immigration thread but cant see any specific area related threads so wondered if anyone had any helpful links about living in Dunedin?

Thanks
Pam
Old Jun 1st 2018, 10:24 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reconsidering 8 years on

my understanding is you have to be under 55 to apply for any visa's. so I would say even with a job offer he would not get passed the initial review
Old Jun 1st 2018, 10:28 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Reconsidering 8 years on

just checked and yes you have to be under 55 to apply.
Unfortunately a job offer is not a shoe in to a visa
Old Jun 1st 2018, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, its a bit confusing as the recruitment consultant has told him he has placed people in their 60's as long as they are temporary visas and not for residence?
Old Jun 1st 2018, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

Me again...when I run through the visa options tool and put in my husbands credentials it comes up with an Essential skills work visa option which does not state an age criteria?
Old Jun 1st 2018, 9:07 pm

ahh sorry I checked out the Long Term as it is on that as well, You are right it does appear to have no age limit on the temp visa but you need to be aware this will not lead you to stay in NZ any longer than 5 years.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 10:19 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Curlu
Moving on 7 years, he is now 58 and has an employer very interested in getting him to apply for a role, he is a neuropsychologist with considerable experience, a profession that is on the long term skills shortage list from what I can tell. Given that he is now 58, am I right in thinking that he can get an essential skills work visa despite his age if he has a job offer?

Thanks
Pam
Yes.

Would you be looking to try and stay permanently?

Are you yourself under 55 and with a skillset that NZ might want.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

Yes I am Bev, but I have a terminally ill family member in the UK so wouldn't be able to be the main applicant, but that could come later.