Recognised qualificqtions SMC

Old Jan 25th 2011, 6:47 pm
  #1  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
rick78's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 436
rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future
Default Recognised qualificqtions SMC

Hi... me again... nearly there, honest

I have a PhD, MSc and BSc... the MSc is directly relevant to all my work experience and my current job. All these qualifications were obtained in the UK and so I have been looking at Appendix 3 of the Operations Manual to look what "level" they are relative to the NZQA (they are exempt from assessment). I've also been looking at what levels they are listed at with ANZCO.

The PhD is easy, its a level 10 on both sources of information. The problem is with the MSc and BSc.

In Appendix 3 the MSc is listed as "At least 8*" with the asterisk stating it may be more but would have to be assessed. In the ANZSCO list it is listed as level 9.

Similarly, in appendix 3 the BSc (with honours) is listed as "level 7" but in the ANZSCO it is listed as level 8.

Its not going to make any difference to my EOI, but I want to ensure I put the correct levels on the application.

Thanks in advance for any help.
rick78 is offline  
Old Feb 1st 2011, 7:46 am
  #2  
Banned
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 183
robbyarg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Recognised qualificqtions SMC

Understandly you are exempt from getting the IQA, and it can be a bit strange why one would leave UK for NZ. However, many still make that choice.

In any case, just to be completely certain, you can do a preliminary assessment who costs about NZ 135. This should be about 70-80 pounds. They will confirm all your qualification levels so there will be no mistake there.

Originally Posted by rick78 View Post
Hi... me again... nearly there, honest

I have a PhD, MSc and BSc... the MSc is directly relevant to all my work experience and my current job. All these qualifications were obtained in the UK and so I have been looking at Appendix 3 of the Operations Manual to look what "level" they are relative to the NZQA (they are exempt from assessment). I've also been looking at what levels they are listed at with ANZCO.

The PhD is easy, its a level 10 on both sources of information. The problem is with the MSc and BSc.

In Appendix 3 the MSc is listed as "At least 8*" with the asterisk stating it may be more but would have to be assessed. In the ANZSCO list it is listed as level 9.

Similarly, in appendix 3 the BSc (with honours) is listed as "level 7" but in the ANZSCO it is listed as level 8.

Its not going to make any difference to my EOI, but I want to ensure I put the correct levels on the application.

Thanks in advance for any help.
robbyarg is offline  
Old Feb 1st 2011, 8:47 am
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
rick78's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 436
rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Recognised qualificqtions SMC

Originally Posted by robbyarg View Post
it can be a bit strange why one would leave UK for NZ. However, many still make that choice.
that makes a lot of us strange then!

Originally Posted by robbyarg View Post
In any case, just to be completely certain, you can do a preliminary assessment who costs about NZ 135. This should be about 70-80 pounds. They will confirm all your qualification levels so there will be no mistake there.
I'm not worrying whether they will be recognised, but only want to fill in the correct information regarding their "level".

I will put 7,8 and 10 instead of 8,9 and 10. It won't make any difference anyway!
rick78 is offline  
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 12:47 am
  #4  
BE Site Lead & Admin
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 33,085
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recognised qualificqtions SMC

Sorry to be late to the party you strange person you

I see what you mean . A touch confusing .

I know your EOI is already in & that you went with the NZIS register levels.

If you had wanted to claim a higher level it would have meant an NZQA assessment which would be a waste of money in your case really unless a job offer was tied into the application and you wanted to prove you were a great 'plumber'
BEVS is offline  
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 5:42 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Hanging
Posts: 205
FriendForEver is a glorious beacon of lightFriendForEver is a glorious beacon of lightFriendForEver is a glorious beacon of lightFriendForEver is a glorious beacon of lightFriendForEver is a glorious beacon of lightFriendForEver is a glorious beacon of lightFriendForEver is a glorious beacon of lightFriendForEver is a glorious beacon of lightFriendForEver is a glorious beacon of lightFriendForEver is a glorious beacon of lightFriendForEver is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Recognised qualificqtions SMC

Originally Posted by robbyarg View Post
you can do a preliminary assessment who costs about NZ 135. This should be about 70-80 pounds. They will confirm all your qualification levels so there will be no mistake there.
In my case they assessed my OH Degree as Level 5 in PAR, But when i get full IQA they given it Level 7, my own Masters of Computer Science was Level 7 in PAR and Level 8 in IQA.
FriendForEver is offline  
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 8:18 pm
  #6  
BE Site Lead & Admin
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 33,085
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recognised qualificqtions SMC

Originally Posted by FriendForEver View Post
In my case they assessed my OH Degree as Level 5 in PAR, But when i get full IQA they given it Level 7, my own Masters of Computer Science was Level 7 in PAR and Level 8 in IQA.
The OP ,who is UK qualfied, is talking about ANZSCO and NZIS. Not NZQA.
BEVS is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.