Recognised Qualification dilemma!

Old Mar 28th 2012, 3:30 am
Just Joined

emmaml is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Recognised Qualification dilemma!

Hi,

I need some advice! I am trying to do the whole Skilled Migrant residency application myself and its all a bit stressful. Did look into having an advisor do it for me but CAN NOT afford that so any help you lovely people could give me would be appreciated!

So i have an EOI recognised qualification question. My highest qualification is a GCE A Level English closely followed by two AS Levels. It goes by my highest qualification but it doesnt seem to be on the list. Not sure if i have just missed it so have done some digging and on a page on the NZQA website it says the GCE A Level is equivolent to a level 3 NZ qualification. I have mentioned this to Immigration NZ and they say if its not on the list i need to get it pre-assessed (then it will need to be assessed if i get an invite to apply which altogether will cost around $1k in assessment fees!)

It would work out around 40 points i think so i would need to do it but its just a bit annoying that its there on NZQA's website in black and white yet i need to pay to get them to tell immigration what i already know! Grrrr!

Anyone else had this problem at all?

Thanks!

Emma
Old Mar 28th 2012, 3:52 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recognised Qualification dilemma!

what skilled job are you applying under?
Old Mar 28th 2012, 8:37 am
Just Joined

Legal Secretary. I have approx 4 years experience and the $45k salary.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 9:43 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

is that occupation in the shortage list ?
Old Mar 29th 2012, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

Its in the skilled occupation list yes.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by emmaml View Post
Its in the skilled occupation list yes.
Oh ok I couldn't find it when I looked.

As for the two differing advise to you, you may have to take the cost for assessment if you can't get them to agree what you have found. May sending them the link you found and ask them if they can then explain why they are saying it needs assessment.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 12:22 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Legal Secretary is seen as a skilled occupation - ANZSCO 521212. 3 yrs experience might substitute for formal qualification and training.

Your A and AS levels are equivalent to NCEA level 3. These are the school certificates for secondary students.

Originally Posted by NZQA
NCEA Level 3 is recognised as broadly equivalent to General
Certificate of Education (GCE) A-Level.
NZIS wouldn't be looking for school qualifications. They would be looking for what qualification or work experience you have to be a legal secretary. Were these AS certs. specific training to be a legal secretary ?

Originally Posted by NZIS Skilled employment
The occupation is included in part C of the List of Skilled Occupations held at Appendix 6 and the principal applicant can demonstrate that their offer of employment or current employment substantially matches the description for that occupation (including core tasks) as set out in the ANZSCO and has either:
  1. at least three years of relevant recognised work experience and a relevant recognised qualification which is at, or above, level four on the NZQF (see SM14.5) (a qualification at level four on the NZQF must be a National Certificate or a New Zealand Certificate); or
  2. at least three years of relevant recognised work experience and that current employment or the position in which the employment is offered, has an annual base salary of at least NZ$45,000.Note: For the avoidance of doubt, the annual base salary excludes employment related allowances (for example overtime, tool or uniform allowances, medical insurance, accommodation) and must be calculated on the basis of 40 hours' work per week.
NZIS peg Legal Secretary as skill level 4.