British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Read This - Dont Get Ripped Off by INZ (Like We Did) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/read-dont-get-ripped-off-inz-like-we-did-569058/)

rusty100 Oct 24th 2008 1:10 pm

Read This - Dont Get Ripped Off by INZ (Like We Did)

Firstly, and before anyone else says so, let me.

Yes, I'm mad as hell.

Yes, I'm now very bitter.

BUT no, I'm not intent on throwing cold water on anyone else's hopes for a future in NZ.

What I do genuinely want to do is warn potential immigrants about quite a nasty, cynical little scenario which I feel has been played out on us by INZ. I wouldn't want anyone else to have the same experience.

I have just heard that our application for permanent residence has been refused. Why?

Lack of points? No, we had 145 points, verified.
Lack of funding? No, we are fortunate enough to be sufficiently funded.
Wrong professions? No, both myself and my wife are in occupations on the desirable list, both with very extensive experience.
Qualifications problems? No, I have acceptable Level 8 qualifications - verified by NZQA.
Convictions? No, not so much as a parking ticket.
Told lies on the application or expression of interest? Absolutely not!
Some unknown problem turned up by the medical? No.
Something we hadn't told them then surely? No.

The reason given for our refusal was something which we HAD told them, and in the clearest possible way, right at the start of the whole tortuous process back in February, when we filled in our Expression of Interest form.

That would be the form that, as we all know, we pay them to check. (My wife has a medical condition which, so I have now been told by their medical branch, means an automatic refusal (although that very useful information is not anywhere in the guidance available to applicants)).

After we completed our Expression of Interest, and they supposedly check it remember, they then invited us to apply - and spend 7 months and approximately another £2000 on fees, certificates, medicals - only to refuse us for the very matter which we had told them about on day 1.

Now, we are not stupid. We were well aware that this particular health issue might be viewed as a problem. That's why we were so careful to declare it fully on the Expression of Interest. It states on the INZ website that the EOS is checked for acceptability and, if they then decide on the basis of what you have told them to invite you to apply, and you can verify the claims you have made, you will be successful (barring any unforseen problem, which this one wasn't).

I am not angry at the refusal of residence (they are after all entitled to do that). What I am angry about is that they could and should have done this at the EOS stage and saved us a fortune and months of stress- they had all the information. It wouldn't have taken a medical report either, not in cases where certain condition are automatic refusals, as we now know this one is.

I feel cheated. A cynical person might say that a large part of the INZ agenda is the maximisation of fee income. You will have noticed - they do seem VERY keen on charging mercilessly for everything.

Just be aware of this.

weejie Oct 24th 2008 3:20 pm

Re: Read This - Dont Get Ripped Off by INZ (Like We Did)

Rusty I am so sorry to hear this. Is there any way you can appeal or even write to someone stating most of what you have just said above? You know what,I bet you're not the first this has happened to and will certainly not be the last. I can only imagine how you both must be feeling but if I were in your shoes I would be furious. I sometimes think that NZIS and others have a license to print money and rip us off and no-one seems to bother or notice. Sorry,starting to rant and this is your rant,not mine. Anyway,sorry about your application and subsequent problems.

Phyllis

squiddley Oct 24th 2008 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by rusty100 (Post 6905901)

Yes, I'm mad as hell.

BUT no, I'm not intent on throwing cold water on anyone else's hopes for a future in NZ.

What I do genuinely want to do is warn potential immigrants about quite a nasty, cynical little scenario which I feel has been played out on us by INZ. I wouldn't want anyone else to have the same experience.

I have just heard that our application for permanent residence has been refused. Why?

Wrong professions? No, both myself and my wife are in occupations on the desirable list, both with very extensive experience.
Qualifications problems? No, I have acceptable Level 8 qualifications - verified by NZQA.

The reason given for our refusal was something which we HAD told them, and in the clearest possible way, right at the start of the whole tortuous process back in February, when we filled in our Expression of Interest form.

That would be the form that, as we all know, we pay them to check. (My wife has a medical condition which, so I have now been told by their medical branch, means an automatic refusal (although that very useful information is not anywhere in the guidance available to applicants)).

After we completed our Expression of Interest, and they supposedly check it remember, they then invited us to apply - and spend 7 months and approximately another £2000 on fees, certificates, medicals - only to refuse us for the very matter which we had told them about on day 1.

Now, we are not stupid. We were well aware that this particular health issue might be viewed as a problem. That's why we were so careful to declare it fully on the Expression of Interest. It states on the INZ website that the EOS is checked for acceptability and, if they then decide on the basis of what you have told them to invite you to apply, and you can verify the claims you have made, you will be successful (barring any unforseen problem, which this one wasn't).

I am not angry at the refusal of residence (they are after all entitled to do that). What I am angry about is that they could and should have done this at the EOS stage and saved us a fortune and months of stress- they had all the information. It wouldn't have taken a medical report either, not in cases where certain condition are automatic refusals, as we now know this one is.

I feel cheated. A cynical person might say that a large part of the INZ agenda is the maximisation of fee income. You will have noticed - they do seem VERY keen on charging mercilessly for everything.

Just be aware of this.

Shit... sorry to hear your bad news...

There is a Resident Review Board,may be you could go down that route???
But guess what ...they charge for that too...
Anyway all the best in what ever you do...

Regards
Squidd...

CCGM.IN.NZ Oct 27th 2008 7:00 am

So sorry to hear your news, I bet you're mad, and rightly so:mad:. We are about to go through the permanent residence application process, and yes they do take money from you left, right and centre. I know it won't be much consolation having been through all the stress but I do hope you can at least get back all the money you have wasted unnecessarily.

newkiwi Oct 27th 2008 11:15 am

Yes, I'm mad as hell.

Just be aware of this.

Sorry to hear about this, it is so frustrating and dissapointing for you. I can understand you being angry and upset. Have you considered writing to the press? I think a letter in the tone of your post may get some interest...Try writing to the NZ Herald, stories of (potential) immigrants being ripped off be the Government always makes good reading. Oh and did I mention there is an election soon, why surely it would be inapporpriate to suggest a government department is being less than perfect so close to an election :p

Or write to the Minister for Immigration or a head/ director at NZIS, explaining your situation nd asking why you were not told at an early stage you were going to be refused, and why they invited you to apply when it should have been apparent you were going to be refused. You may get an aplology at the least, maybe some of your money back which although does nothing for getting you into NZ at least might give you some closure and a sense of relief.

Sorry about your situation..

cally49 Oct 28th 2008 2:38 am

Yes, I'm mad as hell.

Just be aware of this.

I would write to the Member of Parliment in NZ that deals with Immigration and ask them if they can look into it ask them why do they make it so difficult for people to get in here..... reason being there are so many kiwis leaving NZ there will soon be a huge brain drain and they need people like yourselves...Election coming up soon someone might be wanting to get some extra brownie points lol
All the best
Cally:)

Genesis Nov 3rd 2008 4:36 am

Originally Posted by cally49 (Post 6916407)
I would write to the Member of Parliment in NZ that deals with Immigration and ask them if they can look into it ask them why do they make it so difficult for people to get in here..... reason being there are so many kiwis leaving NZ there will soon be a huge brain drain and they need people like yourselves...Election coming up soon someone might be wanting to get some extra brownie points lol
All the best
Cally:)

So sorry to hear of this tale. Take issue with the powers to be. Point out your honesty and their mistake. You never know aye?? If they don't let you in you should atleast be offered all your monies spent regarding the admin that was done AFTER this issue should have been picked up.

Android Nov 3rd 2008 4:45 am

so sorry for you! It must be so disappointing, Hope everything goes ok!
Good luck...

bourbon-biscuit Nov 3rd 2008 5:53 pm

It sounds like you've every reason to be angry :mad:

I would certainly be writing to *someone* with some power to try to get your money refunded. If you were honest from the start I really can't see how they can justify taking all that money from you if they had clear procedures that meant you'd be automatically refused.

Is there any avenue for appeal for you?