British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Questions on the Points system (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/questions-points-system-578344/)

Jhonnywalker Dec 13th 2008 11:56 am

Questions on the Points system

Hello there,

My sister is planning to immigrate to NZ and she has a question. I am posting on behalf of her.
---------------------------------------------
I am an IT professional and have been working in the industry since 4 years. I am planning to immigrate to NZ (should I say "beautiful NZ"). I was looking through the Immigration website and came across couple of questions that have raised few doubts...

1. Are you now in ongoing skilled employment in New Zealand and have been so for 12 months or longer? - What exactly does this mean? I inferred it in this way - "Is my occupation in skills shortage list in NZ, and have I been working in NZ in that occupation for 12 or more months?". Is that correct?
Can someone please clarify?
Your help is much appreciated!

Cheers,
JW

BEVS Dec 14th 2008 5:27 am

Re: Questions on the Points system

That is one of the questions that appears on the NZIS Points Indicator.

If a person has been working in New Zealand for more than one year in an occupation that is deemed skilled by NZIS , then that is worth 60 points.

The occupation needs to be deemed skilled. It does not necessarily relate to the skill shortages list.

Someone can take up work in a skilled occupation which is not on the shortages list if the NZ employer can show that there is no permanent resident or citizen suitable or available for that vacancy.

umabala77 Jan 4th 2009 9:09 am

Re: Questions on the Points system

QUESTION 1. Are you now in ongoing skilled employment in New Zealand and have been so for 12 months or longer? - What exactly does this mean? I inferred it in this way - "Is my occupation in skills shortage list in NZ, and have I been working in NZ in that occupation for 12 or more months?". Is that correct?

To be able to migrate to nz under Skilled migrant catagory, simply SMC, the various steps are
1. lodge EXPRESSION OF INTEREST- any one with 100 points score will be able to lodge eoi.
2.if point score is 140 and more , one will get selected in elections taking place in every 140 days.if one has skilled offer or skilled employment in nz , minimum 50 points one will get.if one has skilled employment for more than 12 months, the point score on this account is 60. offer or skilled employment increases the point score for automatic selection in fortnightly election.If ones skilled employment is in either of the skill shortage lists( ISSL OR LTSL IMMEDIATE SKILL SHORTAGE LIST FOR TEMPORARY PERMITS, LONG TERM SKILL SHORTAGE LIST FOR DIRECT LINK TO PR ) , immigration nz will take this to mean that no nz persons are available to take up the job and no need of doing any lobour market test by immigration, which may entail time delay.
3.IT jobs, most of it, comes under long term shortage list.
4.for lodging EOI skilled offer is not a must.any one with 100 points can lodge eoi.

umabala