Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Questions about points assessment for work experience and AASS

Questions about points assessment for work experience and AASS

Old Jul 25th 2013, 11:45 am
Just Joined

zonfishy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions about points assessment for work experience and AASS

Hi all,

My husband is a software engineer with more than 17 years of experience in software engineering field. He has the Professional Graduate Diploma (BCS PGD) which is equal to a British Honour Degree by the British Computer Society (The Chartered Institute for IT) which is a Royal Charter body. He has got his ACS skills assessment assessed suitably under ANZSCO code Software Engineer 261313 for Australian skilled migration. They've assessed his qualification as equal to a Bachelor's Degree with major in IT under AQF.

We have sent all my husband's qualifications to NZQA and now waiting for its results. but my concern is, in the LTSSL it is required to have a Bachelor degree to cliam points for work experience and AASS. They have not mentioned Graduate Diplomas although Bachelor degrees in IT and BCS Professional Graduate Diploma satisfy the same requirements. Will my husband be able to get points for work experience and AASS if NZQA assesses his qualifications suitably or will it be the opposite because of the title of the qualification, Professional Graduate Diploma instead of Bachelor Degree.

We are so confused and need any helpful information.

Thank you all in advance!

Last edited by Sue; Jul 25th 2013 at 2:20 pm. Reason: Post moved to new thread so it didn't get lost. Oh and welcome to BE :)
Old Jul 25th 2013, 7:21 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about points assessment for work experience and AASS

Welcome!

There is a difference between points for work experience and work experience in an AASS, so:
If NZQA assess his qualification as being equivalent to the NZ qualifications on the LTSSL then he will be able to claim bonus points in an AASS. These include bonus points for a qualification and also work experience in an area of skills shortage.

If not, then he can still claim points for his work experience, just not the above bonus points. This is as long as the experience was in a comparable labour market or he worked for a multinational company.

Make sense?
Old Aug 4th 2013, 5:17 am
Just Joined

zonfishy is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Questions about points assessment for work experience and AASS

Thank you Persephone. Yes this makes sense. Thank you very much for your prompt reply and sorry for my late reply.