Question regarding work experience, SMC

Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future
Default Question regarding work experience, SMC

Hi,

Starting to write the detailed parts of the EOI now and I need advice for one section.

Basically I had a career change in September 2004 and have been working in this new career ever since. My total work experience is therefore just over six years. However, during the first 8 months or so I spent the majority of my time (Between October 2004 to May 2005) at University studying for an MSc. During this time I spent at least one day per week at work being trained, and five days per week in-between terms. I was being paid a full salary by my employer and the MSc was funded by them.

So I guess the crux of my question is that should I state my work experience as starting in September 2004 or May 2005?

I hope thats clear
Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:52 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question regarding work experience, SMC

Strictly speaking it should be from May 2005.

Originally Posted by NZIS
SM 11.15.1 Part-time work
  1. Calculation of levels of work experience must be for complete weeks based on a 30-hour week.
  2. Credit is given for 30-hour weeks only, even though a principal applicant has worked more than 30 hours in any week.Example: Fifty-two 60-hour weeks are equal to one years work experience.
  3. Credit for part-time work experience may be given on a proportional basis.Example: Four years work experience for 15 hours per week is equal to 2 years work experience for a 30-hour week, and therefore qualifies for 10 points.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future

Yep think you're right... shall make sure thats corrected.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Its dropped my points a bit, since my experience has now dropped to just below 6 yrs at the time of application (although will be >6yrs by the time we're planning to leave!).

Still on 195 so should be ok

Thanks for your advice Bevs.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

MissMarple is a jewel in the roughMissMarple is a jewel in the roughMissMarple is a jewel in the roughMissMarple is a jewel in the rough

Hi Rick,

Sounds like you have more than enough points anyway and with a job offer suspect that you will be like a flying fish out of the selection pool!

Do you mind us asking what your job is please?

Jules and Ron
Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks MM

I'm a Medical Physicist... just trying to write the "detailed description" of why its a skilled occupation in section E4 of the EOI... although since its already listed as such in the various appendicies of the operations manual I'm just quoting what they already know.

I do have a job description which I'm trying to include, but they state I should compare the JD to the occupational tasks in ANZCO... not much info on that site though to be honest!

Back to the form... going crazy now
Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

MissMarple is a jewel in the roughMissMarple is a jewel in the roughMissMarple is a jewel in the roughMissMarple is a jewel in the rough

What can i say Rick but good luck. We're at the point where we need to get blue stickers and I never want to see another form again!

As prime applicant the form filling fell to me, there's no doubting it's hard work.

Have a cold one and dig deep to complete it!

Jules
Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:25 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rick78 View Post

I'm a Medical Physicist.
Is that similar to plumbing and gasfitting
Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Is that similar to plumbing and gasfitting
Not far off to be honest!