British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Question Re medical (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/question-re-medical-545499/)

welshman213 Jun 27th 2008 8:30 am

Question Re medical

Hi guys,

Quick question, We have not put in our EOI yet, and reccie is not until April. But what is concerning me is the medical.
Currently I would be classed as Obese, but have time to try to rectify this before going for medicals. Is this something that would be picked up and a reason for being turned down?

Thanks

John

Kags1694 Jun 27th 2008 9:21 am

Re: Question Re medical

Originally Posted by welshman213 (Post 6508859)
Hi guys,

Quick question, We have not put in our EOI yet, and reccie is not until April. But what is concerning me is the medical.
Currently I would be classed as Obese, but have time to try to rectify this before going for medicals. Is this something that would be picked up and a reason for being turned down?

Thanks

John

Good morning John,

My story.

We had our medicals back in Feb this year, sent in our ITA in March, just before we went on our recci to NZ. OH got a job offer while we where out there, sent that in as soon as we got back. We got assigned a CO, and then the problems started, got an email stating that my medical had been sent to MA for assessment. Received the following email 3 weeks later.

Medicals back from our Consultant Physician today. Unfortunately, there has been an adverse opinion about your wife's medical. Please find below a copy of our latest letter to you, which is self-explanatory.

APPLICATION FOR A RESIDENCE VISA, INCLUDING;
We are writing with regard to your application for a Residence Visa which was accepted for consideration on March, 2008.
You will recall that you submitted medical and x-ray certificates as a part of this residence application.
On the April 2008 we referred your wife’s medical to our Consultant Physician for comment.
The Consultant Physician advised that they have an adverse opinion regarding your wife's medical condition. Specifically, the Consultant Physician stated that "there is a relatively high probability that the applicant's acute medical condition(s) will require health services in New Zealand costing more than $25,000 within the next 4 year period or the applicant's chronic recurring condition(s) will require health services in New Zealand costing more than $25,000 over the predicted course of the condition".
The Consultant Physician went on to make the following comments: "Morbid obesity with BMI > **. Increased risk of premature death, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, osteoarthritis, cancer, gout etc. It therefore appears that your wife is not of an acceptable standard of health for residence.

We have until June to get back to them

Sent in a letter appealing, letter from GP saying that I have no medical problems, last time went doctors was Jan 07 with an ear infection, letter from Gym, letter from Personal Trainer and finally a letter from my employer with details of number of sick days over the last 7 years. I have lost a further 1.1/2 stone since medical.

Still waiting for reply.

Good Luck

TeamEmbo Jun 27th 2008 9:23 am

seem to remember something about waist size and a BMI over 30 being of concern. I think they'd ask you for an extra blood test. But you have plenty of time and to be honest, and please don't think I'm being rude, if you were way over that for a BMI you might be more comfortable on such a long flight if you lost a bit of weight beforehand anyway :o And you have plenty of time to do something, diet and exercise, if you so wish.

welshman213 Jun 27th 2008 9:27 am

Thanks for the replys.

Kags, Fingers crossed they accept your appeal, Luckily for me, I dont have too mcuh to lose to get into the normal category, and this is more motivation to hit the gym harder and longer.

Thanks for your words, I cant imagine how hard a blow this could become.

John

lizard Jun 27th 2008 2:16 pm

I think you will find when you get here you will feel quite slim compared to some of the horrors here.

howden40 Jun 27th 2008 9:45 pm

We were not set back on our weight although we did require fasting bloods due to waiste measurement. Eldest son was set back due to slightly raised cholesterol level. Our GP couldn't believe it due to the notoriously high cholesterol levels of NZ residents. Anyway GP sent a letter stating impact on health recommended diet changes and hey presto had our Visa's 2 days later.

You could consider having fasting bloods and Cholesterol levels done through GP, or your local chemist usually offer this free service. If it is raised you can make the changes now before medicals.

Hope this helps

Pauline

welshman213 Jun 28th 2008 9:11 am

Thanks Pauline.

Changes are being made, now Living much healthier and in the gym 5 days a week, so fingers crossed I can be into the medical "normal" by the time we need our medicals.

Thanks again.

John