British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Question on ITA - Partnership Status (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/question-ita-partnership-status-683440/)

celeliza Aug 31st 2010 3:26 am

Question on ITA - Partnership Status

Hi,

I am just about to submit my ITA for permanent residency – have all the docs and am just double checking everything is there :-)

I went through my application form and I need to clarify one thing…

At the time I submitted my EOI, I was in the "early stages" relationship with my kiwi boyfriend. Now I have recently moved in with him and we are making plans for the future. On the form for question A15 it says:

“What is your current partnership status? PLEASE NOTE: It is important to declare if you have a partner whether or not they are to be included in this application for residence.”
At that time, I put down “Never Married”. Do I now need to amend it to “Partner”? Why does the Immigration need to know this?

Then the next question (A16) says:

“If you selected Married, De facto or Civil Union, do you meet the minimum requirements for recognition of partnerships, as defined in the guide?”
Is that really for people who both want to apply for residence together? I will be applying for a new work permit under Partnership policy soon while the residency application is in progress.

For question A17:

"Will your partner be included in this application for residence?"
I put down "No" as he is a NZ Citizen.

Has anyone come across with this before?

Cheers,
Claire

simonsi Aug 31st 2010 4:26 am

Re: Question on ITA - Partnership Status

The questions are to protect NZIS from "sudden" appearences of partners claiming partner status once you had had residency approved. It obviously doesn´t apply in that way to you and I think you´ve answered appropriately :thumbsup:

Persephone Sep 1st 2010 1:20 am

Hi
From what I remember, I answered the questions the same as you. I put down 'Never married' which meant I did not need to answer A16. I then put down 'no' for A17.

I was in a similar situation, couldn't apply for PR under the partnership category so I was applying as a skilled migrant in my own right. Mr S was not relevant as far as my application was concerned!
I mentioned him in my covering letter, just a brief sentence saying that my partner was a NZ citizen and so was not included in my application. I would write something similar to that as you are also applying for a work permit under partnership and so they will know he exists anyway.
I had no job offer and got PR no problem. Good luck:thumbup:

celeliza Sep 1st 2010 3:10 am

Thanks for the responses... I will stick to what I put down on my EOI and will mention my partner on the covering letter.