British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   question about WHV (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/question-about-whv-740895/)

naomaccia Dec 4th 2011 11:11 am

question about WHV

Hello,

my husband and I are considering applying for a WHV in a year or so (saving time!) and I am getting way too excited already, however I have a couple of questions for previous adventurers who succeeded in obtaining one...

1- how long in advance did you apply for it?? We were thinking of applying in November 12 to leave around late Dec 12 (the world better not end on 21st December...) or January 13.

2- did they check your bank account?

3- did you have to have a return flight already booked?

Sorry if the questions look silly, I just need to make sure we start planning properly!

Thank you in advance! :nod:

RobDon Dec 4th 2011 10:17 pm

Re: question about WHV

Originally Posted by naomaccia (Post 9769271)
Hello,

my husband and I are considering applying for a WHV in a year or so (saving time!) and I am getting way too excited already, however I have a couple of questions for previous adventurers who succeeded in obtaining one...

1- how long in advance did you apply for it?? We were thinking of applying in November 12 to leave around late Dec 12 (the world better not end on 21st December...) or January 13.

2- did they check your bank account?

3- did you have to have a return flight already booked?

Sorry if the questions look silly, I just need to make sure we start planning properly!

Thank you in advance! :nod:

Are you applying for a 12 or 23 month WHV? (need medicals & police checks for 23 month stay)

Have a look here:
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...idayscheme.htm

Providing you have all the correct documentation they are usually granted within about a week. You then have 12 months to enter NZ. A work visa granted under a working holiday scheme is valid for 12 months. This means that you will have 12 months from the date your application is approved to arrive in New Zealand. Your visa will allow you to leave and return to New Zealand multiple times, for up to 12 months from your first date of arrival in New Zealand. ;)
You do not need and onward ticket, (this is documented on the visa, it usually states `onward passage wavered`) just the funds to buy one theoretically. :thumbup:
Neither of my sons had their bank accounts checked.
If you come over on a 12 month visa it is pretty straightforward to extend it to 23 months, you still have to have a police check and medicals done but over here. HTH

naomaccia Dec 6th 2011 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by RobDon (Post 9769976)
Are you applying for a 12 or 23 month WHV? (need medicals & police checks for 23 month stay)

Have a look here:
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...idayscheme.htm

Providing you have all the correct documentation they are usually granted within about a week. You then have 12 months to enter NZ. A work visa granted under a working holiday scheme is valid for 12 months. This means that you will have 12 months from the date your application is approved to arrive in New Zealand. Your visa will allow you to leave and return to New Zealand multiple times, for up to 12 months from your first date of arrival in New Zealand. ;)
You do not need and onward ticket, (this is documented on the visa, it usually states `onward passage wavered`) just the funds to buy one theoretically. :thumbup:
Neither of my sons had their bank accounts checked.
If you come over on a 12 month visa it is pretty straightforward to extend it to 23 months, you still have to have a police check and medicals done but over here. HTH

Thank you so much, exactly what I was looking for!! I am going to apply for a 12 month WHV.

Now just a further silly question... Am I correct in assuming that my 12 month VISA would start from the day I land in NZ or the 12 months:confused: start from the day the visa is approved....????

naomaccia Dec 7th 2011 12:41 pm

Thank you soo much! We are going to apply for a 12 month Visa.

Just one more silly question...once my 12 month visa is approved I will have 12 months to use it. Would my 12 months visa start from the day I land in New Zealand or from the day it's approved?

For example...If I was to be approved on 1 January 12 and I was to land in NZ on 1 July 12, would my Visa expire on 1 January 13 or 1 July 13???? :confused:

naomaccia Dec 7th 2011 12:42 pm

oh I just noticed you had already responded to that one in your previous message...!!!!! :D

RobDon Dec 7th 2011 9:45 pm

Glad to have been of help! :thumbsup: