Question about UK degree in New Zealand?

Old Jun 25th 2011, 3:54 am
Just Joined

kelpic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about UK degree in New Zealand?

Is a UK Masters of Social Work recognised as an equivalent to the New Zealand Graduate Diploma of Social Work for immigration purposes?
I know that they're both at the same level but I want to know if it's actually recognised by the immigrations people as an equivalent.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about UK degree in New Zealand?

Probably best to contact NZQA (the NZ Qualifications Agency) and find out.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

neit is an unknown quantity at this point

You might want to checkout your qualification here:

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/i35171.htm

to see what level it is.

Then checkout what qualification you require for the job you are looking for.
Which can be found here:

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ls.htm?level=2

Then have a read of my second post here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=721811

especially the response from NZIS
Old Jun 28th 2011, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

Scousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kelpic
Is a UK Masters of Social Work recognised as an equivalent to the New Zealand Graduate Diploma of Social Work for immigration purposes?
I know that they're both at the same level but I want to know if it's actually recognised by the immigrations people as an equivalent.
Ive a post graduate dipsw which isnt although Im in cahoots with NZIS over this. If you have the degree you would be fine but you will need an NZQA assessment either way to evidence this which is not cheap. The social work reg board in NZ are currently trying to bring about changes due to the qualification issue but this will take some time as legislation needs to change.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

killercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud of

I have the bachelors degree and it was classed as an equivalent, i didn't need mine assessed either. One thing to keep in mind when applying for jobs thou is the registration over here. Originally it wasnt mandatory to be registered immediately, however we have just been told that CYF and Health are now requesting all staff are registered prior to taken up employment. GSCC reg isnt recognised here.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Scousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to all

Originally Posted by killercat
I have the bachelors degree and it was classed as an equivalent, i didn't need mine assessed either. One thing to keep in mind when applying for jobs thou is the registration over here. Originally it wasnt mandatory to be registered immediately, however we have just been told that CYF and Health are now requesting all staff are registered prior to taken up employment. GSCC reg isnt recognised here.
Being compulsory registered will get around immigration issues as a its a major point when going for SMC is that registration is not compulsory so you cant get the extra points. As long as its legislated! I would be surprised if you wouldnt need a NZQA without a job offer but every case appears to be on an individual basis! But my understanding is the newer social work quals are comparable.