Question about permanent residency

Old Oct 19th 2019, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

Shanegt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about permanent residency

Hi guys

My wifes family moved out to NZ 10 years ago and she went with and got permanent residency. She came back and has been here since with various 4 months stays in NZ.

I know i can apply for permanent resident status using her status to sponsor me (and paying $2000!) but my question is, does she need to be in NZ for me to apply using her?

One of the criteria is to be living together for at least 12 months which obviously would be impossible without a visa if we had to do it in NZ.

Thanks for any advice. I dont want to jeopardise her visa!
Old Oct 19th 2019, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about permanent residency

First of all it is not "sponsorship". Your wife would be supporting your application, not sponsoring.
Second, I'd check that your wife is actually eligible to support your application as the supporter has to have held PR at least 2 or 3 years maybe ? If she hasn't spent much time in NZ since she gained NZ PR she may not qualify to support your application.
Next......your wife would have to support your visa application for Partnership Residency and in that support application she will have to declare that she is or intends to be living permanently in New Zealand. You would also have to do the same on your application. There ain't no point approving you for a Partnership Resident Visa or Partnership Permanent Residency if you are not intending to live in NZ immediately. INZ will not approve just so you can come to NZ whenever you wish. Also along the same lines and to answer your next question, NO your wife doesn't have to be in NZ for you to apply, BUT she needs to declare that she is intending to live in NZ (with you) as soon as practicable after visa approved.
Old Oct 19th 2019, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

Shanegt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
First of all it is not "sponsorship". Your wife would be supporting your application, not sponsoring.
Second, I'd check that your wife is actually eligible to support your application as the supporter has to have held PR at least 2 or 3 years maybe ? If she hasn't spent much time in NZ since she gained NZ PR she may not qualify to support your application.
Next......your wife would have to support your visa application for Partnership Residency and in that support application she will have to declare that she is or intends to be living permanently in New Zealand. You would also have to do the same on your application. There ain't no point approving you for a Partnership Resident Visa or Partnership Permanent Residency if you are not intending to live in NZ immediately. INZ will not approve just so you can come to NZ whenever you wish. Also along the same lines and to answer your next question, NO your wife doesn't have to be in NZ for you to apply, BUT she needs to declare that she is intending to live in NZ (with you) as soon as practicable after visa approved.
Thanks for the quick reply. You are right - supporting.

Our intention is to live permanently in NZ as soon as I am able to move there so that part isn’t an issue.

She has had permanent resident status for 9 years now.

We are waiting to make sure we can get my application done properly so we can get the house on the market and join the rest of our family in NZ.
Old Oct 19th 2019, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shanegt

Thanks for the quick reply. You are right - supporting.

Our intention is to live permanently in NZ as soon as I am able to move there so that part isn’t an issue.

She has had permanent resident status for 9 years now.

We are waiting to make sure we can get my application done properly so we can get the house on the market and join the rest of our family in NZ.
Should be all good then.
Your wife will have to meet the requirements and complete this as part of the process : https://www.immigration.govt.nz/docu...es/inz1178.pdf
There doesn't seem to be a minimum time of holding PR anymore, just that they have the PR Visa.
Old Oct 20th 2019, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
There doesn't seem to be a minimum time of holding PR anymore, just that they have the PR Visa.
So my sons who left in 2009 and 2013 will still have PR. they just have to do get a new sicker in their new UK passports ??

​​​​​
Old Oct 20th 2019, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Justcol
So my sons who left in 2009 and 2013 will still have PR. they just have to do get a new sicker in their new UK passports ??

​​​​​
Yup. PR doesn't expire as far as I know but to utilise it you have to have it stickered in a current overseas passport or electronically linked to a current overseas passport.
They may be questioned as to why they haven't kept it up to date in their current overseas passports ?
Must be PR though. Doesn't work with RV as that had conditions which would have now expired.