British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Question about birth certificates (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/question-about-birth-certificates-838423/)

lipgloss1968 Jul 10th 2014 6:38 am

Question about birth certificates

I have bought a book about emigrating to NZ and they state that the all the birth certificates must be the A4 type.
Is this correct as mine is the smaller version and going of what my mother has told me it is the only one she got when I was born.
Any help on this matter would be appreciated

MrsFychan Jul 10th 2014 6:50 am

Re: Question about birth certificates

as far as I'm aware it has to be the full certificate. you can order them on line https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-...ge-certificate

Snap Shot Jul 10th 2014 6:54 am

Don't get hung up on the shape of your birth certificate ! There's plenty of other things to do with emigrating that will do your head in.

I don't mean to be rude but, 'bought a book' sorry, what does that mean ? A birth certificate is a birth certificate end of story. If it's legitimate and relevant to you, then, what's the problem ?

sam_79 Jul 10th 2014 8:07 am

Originally Posted by lipgloss1968 (Post 11331959)
I have bought a book about emigrating to NZ and they state that the all the birth certificates must be the A4 type.
Is this correct as mine is the smaller version and going of what my mother has told me it is the only one she got when I was born.
Any help on this matter would be appreciated

Hi there,

Ours were smaller in size and our CO had not commented on them! so I believe there should be no problem with that, as long as your certificate shows all the required relative information.

Good luck :)

sam_79 Jul 10th 2014 8:09 am

Originally Posted by sam_79 (Post 11332018)
Hi there,

Ours were smaller in size and our CO had not commented on them! so I believe there should be no problem with that, as long as your certificate shows all the required relative information.

Good luck :)

sorry, I meant relevant information. just typographic mistake :o

lipgloss1968 Jul 10th 2014 8:39 am

Thanks for the comments.
What I was concerned about was that mine doesn't have the detail on like my partner's does such as address and parents name.
Thanks again

MrsFychan Jul 10th 2014 9:39 am

think you have to have the parents names on them. I've just checked our ITA file and it looks like we sent both in, the small one which just shows babies name and the bigger one which showed babies name and birth parents. I know we had to send off for the Certified (larger) copies and it didn't take to long for them to come back.

ellenarosemary Jul 11th 2014 1:25 am

Birth certificates changed shape and size etc depending upon when you were born, mine is the long oblong type, my children however had the option of the A4 size or a smaller version (summary one).

We got one of these for our second daughter at the time, and then realised that basically this was a waste of money and should have got the full one with names, addresses etc on it.

This is the type they want, with all the information on it, regardless of shape or size.

Persephone Jul 11th 2014 3:07 pm

I had a short/small one but got the long version for my visa application as NZIS request that parents' names be on it.
Cost around £7.50 I think but it's probably gone up now.
Providing full birth certificates with applications - Immigration NZ Knowledgebase

kiwi wanna be Jul 12th 2014 9:21 am

Both my partner and I had to get full birth certificates for our application, as Mrs F states they don't take long!

BritInParis Jul 12th 2014 4:50 pm

You'll need the full birth certificates. The short ones are given out free to your parents when your birth is registered but they are essentially useless as they only contain your name, date of birth and registration district. The full length certificates contain your place of birth and all your parents' details.

If you don't have your full birth certificate and you were born in England or Wales you can order a certified copy from the General Register Office for £9.25.

Kentishgirl Jul 12th 2014 9:44 pm

It depends how old you are! I had a 'full' one but it was long and thin, my son had a small summary one which we had to replace with a 'full' one showing both parents names, that was A4. My long one was fine as it showed everything it should!