British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Qualifications to emigrate as Chef to NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/qualifications-emigrate-chef-nz-839996/)

cook2nz Aug 1st 2014 2:10 pm

Qualifications to emigrate as Chef to NZ

Hello all,

I'm having a bit of a hard & stressful time trying to figure out if I have the necessary qualifications to move to NZ under the SMC or with my occupation being on the LTSSL.

I have an SVQ level 3 professional cookery (Same as NVQ level 3 in England) and know that this equates to a level 4 with NZQF. However according to the immi website United Kingdom - Trade and Craft Qualifications the occupation also has to be on LIST B of list of skilled occupations appendix 6.

After looking I see that 'Chef' is on LIST A.

How much is this a factor? I'm hoping my qualifications will be acceptable as they are equivalent to NZQF level 4 but fear of how this list classification views my profession.

Any help or advice greatly welcome.

cook2nz Aug 7th 2014 11:59 am

Re: Qualifications to emigrate as Chef to NZ

Okay, going to try rephrase this to see if I get any luck.

Does anybody know how much experience one has to have as a chef in order to move to new Zealand as a skilled migrant?
I know under the ltssl it is 5 years but I can't find any information on experience requirements with ANZSCO if i were to move as a skilled migrant.

Any advice or insight would be hugely welcome. Thank you

MrsFychan Aug 8th 2014 12:28 am

when did you last check the skills list on the Immigration site.

they seemed to have updated recently and it is now outlining the visa's you can apply for and the requirements.

I'm sorry I can't help with your query but from what I can see you need 5 years experience on both visa options. Or one you need a recognised qualification or 5 years on the other you need both. thats my interpretation of it :huh:

Persephone Aug 11th 2014 1:18 pm

This is from ANZSCO and also the LTSSL. They are separate lists, the former is what is required for a job to be classed as skilled and the latter what is needed to be classed under the LTSSL. So if is possible to be skilled as a chef as ANZSCO will accept 5 years of experience in lieu of a formal qualification but not be classed as coming under the LTSSL.

Requirements to claim points for skilled employment (Category A)

A relevant recognised qualification which is at, or above, the qualification level on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework. The qualification must correspond to the skill level indicated for that occupation in the Australian New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO)
OR
The relevant work experience that the ANZSCO indicates may substitute the required qualification
OR
The relevant requirements specified in the Long Term Skill Shortage List (LTSSL) for your occupation (if your occupation is included in the LTSSL)
OR
Five years of relevant work experience.

Requirements to claim bonus points this is the LTSSL bit

One of the following qualifications:
- New Zealand Certificate in Cookery (NZQF Level 4)
- National Certificate in Hospitality (Cookery) (NZQF Level 4)
- New Zealand Diploma in Cookery (Advanced) (NZQF Level 5)
- Diploma in Professional Cookery (NZQF Level 5)
AND
a minimum of five years' combined experience in establishments offering a la carte/banqueting or commercial catering, with a minimum of two years at Chef de Partie (Section Leader level or higher)
The above is from the NZIS website. Interesting though ANZSCO say only 3 years experience is enough when you search for chefs on there. I probably wouldn't worry too much about the classification-maybe check with NZIS just to be certain as I've never really understood the purpose of the A, B and C lists. As long as your qualification is equivalent to the above and you have enough experience then you should be ok.

The other point is how many points do you have, having over 100 does not necessarily mean you have a good chance of success. You need 140 for automatic selection UNLESS you have a job offer.

Hope this helps
P:)