Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Qualification recognized my NZQA in exempted list but in not an exact match in LTSS

Qualification recognized my NZQA in exempted list but in not an exact match in LTSS

Old Oct 30th 2014, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

Sandeepthi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Qualification recognized my NZQA in exempted list but in not an exact match in LTSS

Hi,

I am Sandeep from India and I have around 8+ yrs of exp working as Software Engineer in India which is not a comparable market to New Zealand market.

I have around 145 points in my EOI but one query which is boggling in my mind is I have claimed points for my work experience as my Skilled experience is in absolute skill shortage list but the qualification listed there is Bachelor of Engineering technology but I have Bachelor of Technology in Computer Science Engineering which is recognized and of NZ level 7.

Will my points be ripped off bcoz there is not a exact match in LTSS list but the below point says
LTSS Note 1: Overseas qualifications must be comparable to the standard of the New Zealand qualification listed or a qualification listed in the NZSCED category.

Please advise.

Thanks
Sandeep.K
Old Nov 4th 2014, 2:56 am
Just Joined

vitajaj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Qualification recognized my NZQA in exempted list but in not an exact match in LT

Hi sandeep,

For the Long Term Skill Shortage List Requirements - You need a level 7 or more from NZQA. What is your PAR result ?

For the Bonus point requirements - You also need to have a level 7 from NZQA.

Let me tell about my case, my EOI got selected cos I got 145 points and later processed in shangai office and they have reduced 25 points since I did not meet certain requirements for the EOI. These are listed below for your information.

1. "Recognised work experience" - Make sure you have the relevant experience from the list of countries (comparable labour markets) they have mentioned in the website. India is not a comparable labour market.
2. "Recognised qualification in area of absolute skills shortage" -
To qualify for bonus points, if a principal applicant does not have skilled employment in New Zealand in an area of absolute skills shortage, they will be assessed as being qualified in an area of absolute skills shortage if they meet the specifications in Column 4 of the Long Term Skill Shortage List (LTSSL) or that was listed on the date their Expression of Interest was selected. Please refer to instructions SM16.20(a).
3. "
Work experience in area of absolute skills shortage" -
Please note that recognised work experience is assessed as being in an area of absolute skills shortage if it was undertaken in an occupation included on the LTSSL or that was on the LTSSL at the time the principal applicant’s Expression of Interest was selected; and it meets the specifications for that occupation; and the principal applicant is suitably qualified by training and/or experience to undertake that work (including any specific requirements set out in column 3 of the LTSSL or that were listed on the date their Expression of Interest was selected). Please refer to instructions SM13.20.

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Qualification recognized my NZQA in exempted list but in not an exact match in LT

Hi,

Thanks for the information provided but I have gone through the process and please let me know if I can claim the points.

1. Recognised work experience : Though India is not a comparable market to New Zealand market. We are eligible to claim points for work experience only and only if it's in absolute skills shortage area and as software engineer and having my qualifications in B-Tech in computer science engineering which is from a recognized (level 7) by NZQA list.

2. LTSS list : as discussed above my skills and qualifications are present in the list but the only problem is its given as Bachelor of Science(Technology) or (Computer science) where as my qualification is Bachelor of Technology in Computers science engineering. But both of them are at level 7 as per the list.

It would be really helpful if you can give the reason why they have reduced your points and some suggestion on my scenario.

Just out of curiosity. Did your EOI get selected.

Regards
Sandeep
Old Nov 4th 2014, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

Hi Sandeep,

1. Recognised work experience - Your work experience should be on the list of countries list in the NZ website. Otherwise you are unable to claim for the bonus points.

2. For the LSST: Make sure you are done with your pre-assessment and have achieved a level of 7 and above. Cos you need to specify the Pre-assessment receipt number in the EOI form.

Make sure you follow all the process mentioned in the EOI website and if you get 145 points, then you can pay the 510 NZD. Otherwise, don't.

I am a mechanical engineer and waiting for the assessment result from IPENZ in order to process as my case officer from Shangai requested me to get the letter from IPENZ.

Cheers
Old Nov 5th 2014, 2:47 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandeepthi
Hi,

Thanks for the information provided but I have gone through the process and please let me know if I can claim the points.

1. Recognised work experience : Though India is not a comparable market to New Zealand market. We are eligible to claim points for work experience only and only if it's in absolute skills shortage area and as software engineer and having my qualifications in B-Tech in computer science engineering which is from a recognized (level 7) by NZQA list.

2. LTSS list : as discussed above my skills and qualifications are present in the list but the only problem is its given as Bachelor of Science(Technology) or (Computer science) where as my qualification is Bachelor of Technology in Computers science engineering. But both of them are at level 7 as per the list.

It would be really helpful if you can give the reason why they have reduced your points and some suggestion on my scenario.

Just out of curiosity. Did your EOI get selected.

Regards
Sandeep
You are correct about the work experience points. Another way of claiming them is if you worked for a multinational company domiciled in a Comparable Labour Market.
As to whether your degree will be assessed as comparable to one on the LTSSL, I do not know, sorry. It all depends on whether it is basically the same degree.
P
Old Nov 5th 2014, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have work experience in a multi national company domiciled in India.
As per the qualifications. My B-Tech degree is at same level 7 as per the LTSS list.

but the only problem is its given as Bachelor of Science(Technology) or (Computer science) where as my qualification is Bachelor of Technology in Computers science engineering.

Regards
SANDEEP

Last edited by Persephone; Nov 18th 2014 at 3:27 pm. Reason: Remove personal info
Old Nov 5th 2014, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

If you are perplexed about the degree, better go for a NZQA full assessment.
Also I don't think NZQA will consider work experience based in India, correct me if I am wrong.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

Yes it won't until it's in absolute skills shortage list and with the qualifications listed against the skills.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 6:20 am
Just Joined

Hi,

I found out something interesting today in terms of LTSS list, they have modified some of the qualifications for the skill i selected and it would come into effect from 17th November 2014.

Previously the qulaification was listed was

Bachelor of Science (Technology) or (Computer science)

now in the revised list

Bachelor of Science -Technology (Computer science)

and there is one more new entry :- Bachelor of Technology (Information Technology)

My qualification is : Bachelor of Technology (Computer science)

Still don't know whether they would accept my course as part of Software Engineer Skill which i selected.

I have submitted my EOI last week and it was "selected" on 12th Novemeber and I am waiting for the verification call, so that i can explian my case.

regards
Sandeep.K
Old Nov 13th 2014, 6:51 am
Just Joined

Good luck Sandeep. You will be receiving notification from immigration officer if the points you have claimed is correct. EOI will changed to "successful" from "selected" thereafter.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 8:21 am
Just Joined

Hi,

Thanks for the information, hope they consider the points I claimed.

In case, will I have any phone/email conversation with the immigration, if they need to verify it with me.

Regards
Sandeep.K
Old Nov 25th 2014, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

Hi all,

My eoi got selected from the pool in the last selection that took place on 12th November and as I claimed 145 points my EOI got selected automatically.

Finally my ITA arrived today after a long wait of 13 days and the EOI Status changed to Decision Successful from Selected.

So, picking up all the documents and check list provided by them and trying to submit by December 1st week.

Thanks for all the support
Old Nov 26th 2014, 2:00 am
Just Joined

Good news sandeep!!
Can you plz let me know what all documents you need to submit in the ITA process?
Are they asking you to undergo IQA process??
Thanks,