Qualification Points?

Old May 4th 2017, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

smudge310 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Qualification Points?

Hi All,

My wife and I have been looking at a move for years, like most people... but have always found excuses (we just had kids, cant take them from their grandparents etc..) but what with age creeping up we have have started to look at each other saying..'why not now..??' (Im 47, shes 45). We still have young kids and older parents but the baby years have now gone and if we dont look at it soon the window will be closed (i think the opening is still quite small for us!)

I have seen other posts from people asking advice regarding agents and most of the replies are 'Dont bother, just ask us' so I have a general query about jobs and qualifications.. please be gentle as this is our first 'real' look into it..

My current position (for the past 10 years) is a Design/Technical Manager in Construction. Prior to this I have been both Civil and Architectural Technicians (yes Im a mixed bag but thats from my Army trade training where we did all of the designs). My qualifications are:
PGCert - Design Management
HipHE (HND) - Civil Engineering
HNC - Building Studies
Eng Tech - Engineering Council

I have used a points system but only get 40 points form my HNC.. would the others count?

My wife has been in Law Enforcement for approx 20 years (now the NCA) and has worked in the Finance side of things and is now a qualified Change Manager where she looks at new working solutions to the company.
Qualifications:
BA - Business Studies
Change Management (sorry dont know it at the moment - will find out and revise)

My question is, with the new system coming in (already in?) we dont stand a chance of a Visa or even getting out of the pool without a job offer do we?

Do any one know of some good construction recruitment agencies I could contact??

Many thanks in advance.

Rich
Old May 4th 2017, 8:06 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qualification Points?

Hi Rich

regarding qualifications it depends on the skill that you would be applying under which one if any would count. The qualification needs to fit the description on the skills list. You can get points (or you could back in 2012, so may now of changed) for non required qualifications but that would replace the required one, so in summary you can only use one qualification each, it has to relate to the job/skill description requirement or if not then it could possibly gain less points.

Also if not gained from an approved institution you would need to get it accessed to NZ level and that level would need to reach the requirement on the skills list and obviously that assessment will cost.

Couldn't find the skill as you put it on the skills list but a Construction Manager is on all lists so if your occupation is covered in the description then you have lots of choices of visa's, obviously if you can get the points.

Last edited by MrsFychan; May 4th 2017 at 8:11 pm. Reason: skills list