British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Qualification points (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/qualification-points-793937/)

prickles Apr 14th 2013 2:29 pm

Qualification points

When calculating points, do they count more than one degree if they are at different levels.

OK, I'll explain myself a bit better; my job is on the long term skills shortage list and I have over 10 years experience in my job...(so that's looking good on my application, yey)

I have a BA ( Hons), a Post Graduate Diploma and a Masters degree but not sure if they just count the highest one.

I Just need to get 'the points' as don't have a partner or relatives in NZ. Though I have friends there.

Am I the only single parent who is brave enough to make the move ??

You see i'm confused not sure whether to apply to be picked of the 'top points list', to apply for a job first or to just come over on a visitors visa for six months and apply for jobs/visa when I get there.

That's a lot of questions isn't it :confused:

MrsFychan Apr 14th 2013 7:59 pm

Re: Qualification points

believe you can only count one so use the one that gives you the most points.

Persephone Apr 15th 2013 6:19 pm

Yep, you can only claim points for one qualification. In general you would claim the one that gave you most points.
BUT your work experience and job is on the LTSSL so your qualification has to match that in column 4 on the list to claim the bonus points. You may have to claim a lower qualification in order to get the bonus points for work experience and also a qualification in an area of skills shortage.

So best plan is to work out your points total and assess how likely you are to be selected without a job offer in place. Currently only those with over 140pts and those with >100 and a job offer are being selected [though the last draw did include those with 15pts for experience in an area of skills shortage which presumably includes you!] history of selection points
This could be a temporary blip or the start of a trend, too early to tell but it does indicate that you need to make sure you can claim those points [check the necessary quals]

As to what to do: well it depends on how risk averse you are and how soon you want to move. You may be able to gain residency without a job offer though it will take months to be issued. Also it all depends on what you do, some professions are willing to offer jobs to overseas applicants.

As a single parent you will need to consider whether you need permission from your child's father/mother [not sure what sex you are;)] This may or may not be easy-just look at the main forum:(

Hope this helps
P:)

prickles Apr 15th 2013 7:00 pm

Thank you,

I am certainly willing to take a risk.....maybe I just need to get on with applying for jobs.:)

Persephone Apr 15th 2013 7:20 pm

Start applying for jobs and fill out an EOI [save for later reference]

The EOI will give you a better indication of how many points you can claim for as opposed to the points indicator.

Coming over as a visitor for 6m to job hunt may be more of a problem if you have a child in tow so maybe best to start by considering whether you can get residency in advance and trying for a job offer:)