Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Putting the feelers out - just considering NZ

Putting the feelers out - just considering NZ

Old Aug 8th 2011, 6:15 pm
  #1  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,746
Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Putting the feelers out - just considering NZ

Hi everyone

My hubby and I ideally want to emigrate to Canada but have also considered NZ. Canada would be our first choice because it's closer to the UK and family.

I am just wondering how hard NZ is to get into as Canada seems like a huge, huge mountain to climb... We want to move to Calgary.

Background - husband Senior IT Manager in Infrastructure - degree then 16 years work experience. I am a Counsellor (therapeutic kind not govt) - also got a degree. They have a list where they have 29 professions they want into the country and he's not on that list which makes it much much harder.

Any one give me any sort of indication as to whether we would be eligible to start the process? I don't even know the first thing about emigrating to NZ. I've only just got my head around Canadian Immigration and that took a while.

We really want to emigrate - we've had enough of the UK.

What are the timescales like for getting into NZ?

Sorry for so many questions

Thanks
Geordie Lass is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2011, 5:12 am
  #2  
BE Site Lead & Admin
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 33,082
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Putting the feelers out - just considering NZ

That's OK. Take it slowly otherwise you'll end up with head boil.
The majority of people emigrate to New Zealand under the Skilled Migrant Policy. This is a points based system.

100 points is the minimum required but that's actually no good if you want your application to be selected.

140 is an automatic selection for the application to be considered.

Applications with NZ job offers are prioritised over those without job offers as you would expect.

Please have a look at the Points Indicator & see how many points you think you would be eligible for.

Try to find your occupation on ANZSCO and then see if it is in shortage by searching on THIS LIST

That should start you off.
BEVS is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2011, 10:03 am
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,746
Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Putting the feelers out - just considering NZ

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
That's OK. Take it slowly otherwise you'll end up with head boil.
The majority of people emigrate to New Zealand under the Skilled Migrant Policy. This is a points based system.

100 points is the minimum required but that's actually no good if you want your application to be selected.

140 is an automatic selection for the application to be considered.

Applications with NZ job offers are prioritised over those without job offers as you would expect.

Please have a look at the Points Indicator & see how many points you think you would be eligible for.

Try to find your occupation on ANZSCO and then see if it is in shortage by searching on THIS LIST

That should start you off.
Thanks Bev - that gives me a great starting point. And yes you are right about the Head Boil... total info overload!
Geordie Lass is offline  
Old Aug 17th 2011, 3:19 am
  #4  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Somerfield, Christchurch
Posts: 28
geordielasstoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Putting the feelers out - just considering NZ

Why don't you try contacting an agent who should be able to give you a good idea how many points you may have and if it's worth pursuing. They're dealing with it every day so should know the way INZ are thinking. We used one and have been here 4.5 mths now and it all happened so quickly. We've now got our residency and we only thought about coming here at the beginning of this year.
geordielasstoo is offline  
Old Aug 17th 2011, 5:53 am
  #5  
BE Site Lead & Admin
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 33,082
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Putting the feelers out - just considering NZ

Um. I did link to the NZIS points indicator. That tells you what points you could possibly claim.

A Quantity Surveyor is on the NZIS long term shortage list & your husband also had a job so you were onto a dead cert to be honest unless there was a medical prob or a dodgy past.

The OP might be better to start a new thread in the main forum to find out about work availability in IT and infrastructure.
BEVS is offline  
Old Aug 17th 2011, 7:00 am
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,746
Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Putting the feelers out - just considering NZ

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Um. I did link to the NZIS points indicator. That tells you what points you could possibly claim.

A Quantity Surveyor is on the NZIS long term shortage list & your husband also had a job so you were onto a dead cert to be honest unless there was a medical prob or a dodgy past.

The OP might be better to start a new thread in the main forum to find out about work availability in IT and infrastructure.
Thanks for all the help guys

We are off to Canada this week where he has a couple of interviews so will be making a decision from there. NZ is also floating around as an idea.

Not sure what you mean about quantity surveyor? Was that aimed at the other poster?

Once we get back we will know more -might be posting a lot mo after the trip!
Geordie Lass is offline  
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 12:53 am
  #7  
BE Site Lead & Admin
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 33,082
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Putting the feelers out - just considering NZ

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass View Post
Thanks for all the help guys

We are off to Canada this week where he has a couple of interviews so will be making a decision from there. NZ is also floating around as an idea.

Not sure what you mean about quantity surveyor? Was that aimed at the other poster?

Once we get back we will know more -might be posting a lot mo after the trip!
Yes. That was reference to the other poster.
BEVS is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.