put my mind to rest........please

Old Sep 8th 2010, 2:32 am
Just Joined

ern_UTB is an unknown quantity at this point
Question put my mind to rest........please

Thanks for all the advice I have seen on various threads, if I could get some more tailored to my needs it would be a great help.

I am currently using the worldwide supply of ink in my applications (I'm sure we've all been there!) for residency through the family/partner option and would like a little reassurance.

Plus side:
I have been with my kiwi partner for over 3 years (with plenty of evidence).
I have a excellent relationship with her family (currently living in their CHCH home).
Spent 6 months in NZ on a WHV 2 years ago.
Have passed medical, X-ray, blood, checks already.

Negative side:
I have a UK police caution for possession with intent to supply cannabis from 5 years ago (never intended to supply) since then I've been a good boy.
No recognized work qualifications (an original jack of all trades!)

With an educated guess how successful should I be?

Thanks in advance & I hope the ground stops wobbling soon

ern

Last edited by ern_UTB; Sep 8th 2010 at 2:57 am. Reason: I thought I should add the question of success
Old Sep 8th 2010, 5:56 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: put my mind to rest........please

Originally Posted by ern_UTB
Negative side:
I have a UK police caution for possession with intent to supply cannabis from 5 years ago (never intended to supply)
May be a small point or not but my understanding is that you will have chosen to accept a caution and as such accepted at the time that you DID have an intent to supply so don´t be surprised if that is NZIS´s reading of it. Whether they choose to make an issue or if it will affect you application I have no idea.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

You will have to apply for a character waiver. Given that it is a drugs offence/caution, I personally would advise that you seek professional help with doing this, as there are "ways" of writing the case best left to those with experience. Perhaps an immigration lawyer in NZ would be your best bet.

Jan
Old Sep 9th 2010, 11:56 am
Just Joined

ern_UTB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
You will have to apply for a character waiver. Given that it is a drugs offence/caution, I personally would advise that you seek professional help with doing this, as there are "ways" of writing the case best left to those with experience. Perhaps an immigration lawyer in NZ would be your best bet.

Jan
so it would seem my best bet would be to apply for a character waiver, having done some quick research into solicitors I could use one has got back to me quoting $2000+GST I know time is money in the law game but this still seems very expensive?

Has anyone else out there had success applying for such a waiver without professional help?

Last edited by ern_UTB; Sep 9th 2010 at 12:16 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

the bad news (about money) as that you can't submit a character waiver until they request one, so you have to pay all the application fees first. And your medical fees etc, everything. The waiver requests comne right at the end of the process.

Another hint: if you don't put it on the Expression of Interest in the hope of getting pulled from the pool, and then it comes up on your police check, you will be denied entry for being dishonest and you will never get to NZ.

I have heard of people applying for medical waivers without expert help, and not succeeding. Also, you only get one chance at a waiver, there is no right of appeal: it really IS worth getting a lawyer in this case to get it right first time. If you have already had to cough up all application fees this has to just be viewed as part of your emigration costs in my opinion. BUT - only if you get asked by NZIS.

Which you "may" not, though I doubt it.

Good Luck