British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   proof of previous employers.. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/proof-previous-employers-486425/)

Wessa Oct 10th 2007 1:00 pm

proof of previous employers..

How fussy do you need to be when subiting info about ya previous jobs?. Ive no problem with approx dates but finding evidence may be slightly harder. 2 are no longer contactable etc. i never thought to keep contracts of employment.. Will this go against me?. Any suggestions as to what to provide please guys. ;)

happynz Oct 10th 2007 3:52 pm

Re: proof of previous employers..

Originally Posted by Wessa (Post 5408838)
How fussy do you need to be when subiting info about ya previous jobs?. Ive no problem with approx dates but finding evidence may be slightly harder. 2 are no longer contactable etc. i never thought to keep contracts of employment.. Will this go against me?. Any suggestions as to what to provide please guys. ;)

You will need some sort of evidence of employment if you are making claims of experience. You might want to contact your tax authorities and see if they have any records of you paying tax into the system. This would probably suffice as evidence of being employed in a certain capacity.
It can be hard, I know. I have about seven years of work experience in Asia that I couldn't claim as there is no evidence that I could get from my former employers.

BEVS Oct 10th 2007 11:10 pm

You can apply to the Inland Revenue for a list which will show the companies you have worked for . It will also show start and finish dates.

Apply for a 'Data Protection Printout'

The Address is:

Data Protection Unit
Room BP4302
Inland Revenue
Long Benton
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE98 1ZZ

As far as I know this address is still current.

P2L Oct 11th 2007 12:48 am

We claimed for 10 years work experience, but could only prove 7, one employer was no longer trading, and the other had moved offices and restructered twice!!!

We provided as much evidence as we could and then made a statement in our covering letter explaining our dilemna. No problems and no points deducted :thumbup:

Wessa Oct 11th 2007 11:22 am

Ta guys, i think i will try the tax people aswell. Helpful replies, :thumbup:

KIRSTIE Oct 12th 2007 8:22 am

hi bev

that address is certainly useful, i dont think as we will need it as found an old SC60 for a company that paul worked for that closed, i am hoping that is sufficient.
the tax office is opposite where i work did not realise they did that there. i learn something new every day, at least if i do need the info i can pop over in much lunch hour

with regards

kirstie

Wessa Oct 12th 2007 8:25 am

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 5410895)
You can apply to the Inland Revenue for a list which will show the companies you have worked for . It will also show start and finish dates.

I got in contact with my tax office and was told they can only go back 6 years, seems a bit lame to me tbh.. Bloody tax people eh. ;)

KIRSTIE Oct 12th 2007 8:45 am

hi wessa

on one of them for paul it was about 14 years ago and he had his apprenticeship certificate, so we are hoping that is enough, but i agree you dont think of keeping contracts of employement etc.

can you contact anyone that you used to work with that can sign something, as immigration must be able to look back at your working career through your national insurance number.

good luck with getting all your paperwork together :)
i will send you some karma

with regards

kirstie

Wessa Oct 19th 2007 8:32 am

Are they still fussy if i have a job offer and im not applying for points? ;)

happynz Oct 19th 2007 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Wessa (Post 5443107)

If you already have enough points based on your job offer and documented experience then you probably don't have to worry too much. I had about six years of related employment history that I couldn't claim because I couldn't supply any letters or tax records (these jobs were in Taiwan, Korea and Thailand). Nonetheless, I already had enough points based on evidence that I could produce so basically it was no drama.

BEVS Oct 20th 2007 1:21 am

Originally Posted by Wessa (Post 5416125)
I got in contact with my tax office and was told they can only go back 6 years, seems a bit lame to me tbh.. Bloody tax people eh. ;)

It's no good contacting your own tax office Wessa. They can't give you your employment history print-out. They can only provide taxation history for the past 6 years as they correctly stated.

You need to contact the Data Protection Unit at the office address I gave you.
They will send you a printout of your employment history. It will state the employers name & start/finish dates.

BEVS Oct 20th 2007 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Wessa (Post 5443107)

They will want you to provide proof of relevant work experience, so yes, you still need to show evidence.

Wessa Oct 21st 2007 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 5445925)
You need to contact the Data Protection Unit at the office address I gave you.
They will send you a printout of your employment history. It will state the employers name & start/finish dates.

Ok, i probably asked for the wrong thing. I'l give them another try.
Thanks all. :thumbup:

Here comes the sun Oct 30th 2007 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 5410895)

The Address is:

Data Protection Unit
Room BP4302
Inland Revenue
Long Benton
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE98 1ZZ

As far as I know this address is still current.

I need to do this so I had a look on their website, the address was slightly different just wondered if im looking at the wrong section but this is the address i found:

HM revenue & customs
Data protection Subject Access Unit
Room BP5001
Benton Park view
Long Benton
Newcastle upon tyne
NE98 1ZZ

Is this right?

BEVS Oct 30th 2007 11:45 pm

You may well have the correct and current address there. Looks like they have moved rooms.

Thanks for that Herecomesthesun:thumbup:

have some Karma