Quick query on Talent Work Visa

Old Nov 18th 2017, 8:48 am
Just Joined

tigerstyle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quick query on Talent Work Visa

I'm currently in NZ and working on an IEP Visa, I came here with the intention of finding long term employment and moving out here permanently with my wife.

I might have got lucky and soon may get a job offer from an Accredited Employer.

From what I gather it is a very simple visa with only a few caveats, you must earn more than $55k, you must work with them for 2 years before you can apply for PR (so you are sort of prisoner to them?!) But can it really be for any job? For example they could employ me as a cleaner and I'd still get the visa? Seems to good to be true?

Just wanted to check what else in that Visa rules I was missing.
One thing was that my wife would not be covered under it, she would have to apply for her own visa, but not completely separately, it is linked to mine somehow, I'm from the UK my wife is from South Korea, so wondering if there are any language hurdles for her work or visitor visa.

If a Talent visa does have something obvious I've missed that makes it less appealing, I'm an electrician so could go the points route through Long Term Skilled Shortage, or normal work visa route, I just have to tidy up some qualifications from the UK to make e registering with the EWRB easy before i did that though. I can see this visa type gives more freedom to move around or change jobs as I wish though.
Old Nov 18th 2017, 11:33 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick query on Talent Work Visa

Hi and welcome to BE.

No the visa can not be for any job, the salary threshold will stop lower skilled jobs being offered visas. As English isn't probably your wifes first language she will have to take IELTS. https://www.ielts.org/what-is-ielts/...on/new-zealand.

I think the visa you need to go for will come down to the salary. So with a job offer what are your points?
Old Nov 18th 2017, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

tigerstyle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Quick query on Talent Work Visa

Thank you for the post.
Where is the job list for jobs that are allowed under Talent Visa? It seems to me like you could be offered a job as a cleaner if your employer paid you over $55k? Would be crazy granted but could be done, I'm using a cleaner as an extreme example and no disrespect to cleaners at all here, I've been there and done that job before...

I could get 180+ points if I went that route, but would take another 6-12 months probably to get my UK qualifications fully up to date then approved over here. As I am going to be in NZ another 9 months too (have that left on my current visa) it might take even longer to sort the UK stuff out (could be 9 Months +6-12) and would prefer to just stay here rather than have a period of time out of the country, as semi setup here and loving life etc.

I read on another thread the risk with a Talent Visa (in terms of waiting for PR) is that the government might change the rules in that time, which is seeming ever more likely, and 24 months is a long wait.