Problem wth LFT's

Old Jun 24th 2010, 7:01 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
BevK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Auckland NZ
Posts: 146
BevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to all
Default Problem wth LFT's

Hi,

I had my medical just over two weeks ago-doctor was happy with everything and would just await the results of my blood tests. Unfortunately for me I had been off work the previous ten days and had treated myself to a few drinks of wine/cider each night. Wish I had known beforehand that this would affect my LFts but alas, the following day I was told they were abnormal, everything else was fine. Went back two days ago for a repeat having completely abstained for two weeks and my GGT had come down from 104 to 88(< 35) and bilirubin was 26 (<17), but its still quite high. The doctor is going to pass it, but I need to go to my GP, which I've made an appointment today. I'm hoping it is just the alcohol intake and nothing serious as I'm quite active, not overweight, BMI 21, and eat healthy, and apart from giving birth, never had any problems medically. I did have blood test done 6 years ago, and they were normal. I dont think my GP will act on these results because I had some bloods done with the practice nurse 5 days after the original blood tests and I haven't heard from my GP. Can anyone advise if immigration will accept these or will they want further investigations? I'm applying for PR under the partnership catergory as my partner is kiwi. Any advice would be great. Thanks, Bev
BevK is offline  
Old Jun 24th 2010, 7:12 am
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
nukiwi's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: in a perfect location.
Posts: 366
nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problem wth LFT's

Originally Posted by BevK View Post
Hi,

I had my medical just over two weeks ago-doctor was happy with everything and would just await the results of my blood tests. Unfortunately for me I had been off work the previous ten days and had treated myself to a few drinks of wine/cider each night. Wish I had known beforehand that this would affect my LFts but alas, the following day I was told they were abnormal, everything else was fine. Went back two days ago for a repeat having completely abstained for two weeks and my GGT had come down from 104 to 88(< 35) and bilirubin was 26 (<17), but its still quite high. The doctor is going to pass it, but I need to go to my GP, which I've made an appointment today. I'm hoping it is just the alcohol intake and nothing serious as I'm quite active, not overweight, BMI 21, and eat healthy, and apart from giving birth, never had any problems medically. I did have blood test done 6 years ago, and they were normal. I dont think my GP will act on these results because I had some bloods done with the practice nurse 5 days after the original blood tests and I haven't heard from my GP. Can anyone advise if immigration will accept these or will they want further investigations? I'm applying for PR under the partnership catergory as my partner is kiwi. Any advice would be great. Thanks, Bev
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I'm sure Immigration will want further tests... When I had my blood tests done for PR my white blood cells we slightly lower than normal. My doctor assured me that this was quite normal and she was not worried about it. The reason for this was due to me having the Flu a week before having my bloods done. However Immigration sent my medical to the MA who then requested a re-test and this took 10 wks for them to finally come back and tell me that everything was okay :curse:

Although I knew my second tests were clear....it was a very anxious wait just to get the all clear from Immigration.

Good luck and for a speedy good result.
nukiwi is offline  
Old Jun 24th 2010, 6:12 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
BevK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Auckland NZ
Posts: 146
BevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to all
Default Re: Problem wth LFT's

Thanks Nukiwi, went to see my GP today and he's referred me for an ultrasound scan. Seems to think it probably is the alcohol, however he understands its better to have it done due to the likelihood of immigration requesting one anyway. Just got to wait for a date for the scan. Fingers crossed there's nothing untoward.
BevK is offline  
Old Jun 24th 2010, 11:52 pm
  #4  
BE Enthusiast
 
nukiwi's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: in a perfect location.
Posts: 366
nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problem wth LFT's

Originally Posted by BevK View Post
Thanks Nukiwi, went to see my GP today and he's referred me for an ultrasound scan. Seems to think it probably is the alcohol, however he understands its better to have it done due to the likelihood of immigration requesting one anyway. Just got to wait for a date for the scan. Fingers crossed there's nothing untoward.
Just an idea but we recently did a detox programme which only took a week and this gets rid of all the nasty toxins in the body. You can get it from any health shop and it involves taking different capsules during the day and cutting out all dairy foods, tea, coffee, alcohol etc. We felt great after it. It may have a better effect on your bloods.

I'm sure everything is fine but best get it checked out. Immigration have put me through it twice now. We came out here on a Temporary Work Visa and the doctor who examined me thought he could feel a lump so of course Immigration wanted a mamogram which came back clear but its the waiting thats the worse.

Good luck and keep us informed of how it goes
nukiwi is offline  
Old Jun 25th 2010, 6:40 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
BevK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Auckland NZ
Posts: 146
BevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to all
Default Re: Problem wth LFT's

Thanks again Nukiwi . I will check it out. I'm going back to my GP in 3 weeks to get my bloods checked again. I hope if its showing a downward trend it will help to convince immigration its caused by the alcohol. I will keep you informed. By the way, can I ask where abouts in Auckland you are living?
BevK is offline  
Old Jun 25th 2010, 6:54 am
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
 
nukiwi's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: in a perfect location.
Posts: 366
nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problem wth LFT's

Originally Posted by BevK View Post
Thanks again Nukiwi . I will check it out. I'm going back to my GP in 3 weeks to get my bloods checked again. I hope if its showing a downward trend it will help to convince immigration its caused by the alcohol. I will keep you informed. By the way, can I ask where abouts in Auckland you are living?
I'm keeping everything crossed for you

We are currently in Eastern Beach but moving to Pukekohe next week. We love NZ and can't wait to buy our own home. Still have a house in the UK which is being rented. As soon as it reaches an affordable price, we will put it on the market...

Where are you hoping to head for?
nukiwi is offline  
Old Jun 26th 2010, 9:34 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
BevK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Auckland NZ
Posts: 146
BevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to all
Default Re: Problem wth LFT's

Originally Posted by nukiwi View Post
I'm keeping everything crossed for you

We are currently in Eastern Beach but moving to Pukekohe next week. We love NZ and can't wait to buy our own home. Still have a house in the UK which is being rented. As soon as it reaches an affordable price, we will put it on the market...

Where are you hoping to head for?
My partner's family live around Auckland, mostly in Mangere East. Had a look around last year but the areas I like are the most expensive. Will probably stay in short term rental before we decide. Managed to get booked in for a scan on Monday, made easier because I work at the hospital and also know somebody in the radiology dept. At least I wont have to wait very long. Are you working in Pukekohe?
BevK is offline  
Old Jun 26th 2010, 10:40 am
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
 
nukiwi's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: in a perfect location.
Posts: 366
nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problem wth LFT's

Originally Posted by BevK View Post
My partner's family live around Auckland, mostly in Mangere East. Had a look around last year but the areas I like are the most expensive. Will probably stay in short term rental before we decide. Managed to get booked in for a scan on Monday, made easier because I work at the hospital and also know somebody in the radiology dept. At least I wont have to wait very long. Are you working in Pukekohe?
This is our third move in 22 months....we are still trying to decide where we want to settle

Glad to hear your scan is so soon. and let me know how you get on. I'm sure everything will be fine.

I've not worked since I've been in NZ but I do want to do a little part-time job, mainly to get out and meet more people.
nukiwi is offline  
Old Jul 6th 2010, 8:59 pm
  #9  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
BevK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Auckland NZ
Posts: 146
BevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to all
Default Re: Problem wth LFT's

Originally Posted by BevK View Post
Thanks again Nukiwi . I will check it out. I'm going back to my GP in 3 weeks to get my bloods checked again. I hope if its showing a downward trend it will help to convince immigration its caused by the alcohol. I will keep you informed. By the way, can I ask where abouts in Auckland you are living?
Gutted-found out the results of my scan from my GP this morning and he said I've got gallstones. Got an appointment on Friday to see about being referred to have my gallbladder removed. Can my application be refused for having gallstones?
BevK is offline  
Old Jul 8th 2010, 9:53 am
  #10  
BE Enthusiast
 
nukiwi's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: in a perfect location.
Posts: 366
nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problem wth LFT's

Originally Posted by BevK View Post
Gutted-found out the results of my scan from my GP this morning and he said I've got gallstones. Got an appointment on Friday to see about being referred to have my gallbladder removed. Can my application be refused for having gallstones?
I don't think gallstones would be an issue with immigration. They are only worried about ongoing costs and being a burden on the State but this would be a one-off, so in my opinion, you should be fine.

It may be worth a phone call to Immigration just to have it clarified. Let me know how you get on.
nukiwi is offline  
Old Jul 12th 2010, 10:49 am
  #11  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
BevK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Auckland NZ
Posts: 146
BevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to all
Post Re: Problem wth LFT's

Originally Posted by nukiwi View Post
I don't think gallstones would be an issue with immigration. They are only worried about ongoing costs and being a burden on the State but this would be a one-off, so in my opinion, you should be fine.

It may be worth a phone call to Immigration just to have it clarified. Let me know how you get on.
Posted an online question to Immigration, but they could only say that it might be referred to the MA as they were not qualified to answer. Also directed me to the health section which states that conditions that would cost more than $25,000 NZD would be a problem. Probably better just having my gallbladder removed - got an appointment with a consultant surgeon on the 24th of this month. Might just send my application in with this information and see what happens.
BevK is offline  
Old Jul 19th 2010, 6:28 pm
  #12  
Just Joined
 
timoshenko's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 9
timoshenko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Problem wth LFT's

Originally Posted by nukiwi View Post
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I'm sure Immigration will want further tests... When I had my blood tests done for PR my white blood cells we slightly lower than normal. My doctor assured me that this was quite normal and she was not worried about it. The reason for this was due to me having the Flu a week before having my bloods done. However Immigration sent my medical to the MA who then requested a re-test and this took 10 wks for them to finally come back and tell me that everything was okay :curse:

Although I knew my second tests were clear....it was a very anxious wait just to get the all clear from Immigration.

Good luck and for a speedy good result.
Hi, by slightly lower, can you remember the figures, I was 3 points below normal and it was listed as slightly low, nothing to be worried about and not noted as such on my medical form, Doc put it down to a course of antibiotics for an abscess which ended two days before the tests?
timoshenko is offline  
Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:12 pm
  #13  
BE Enthusiast
 
nukiwi's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: in a perfect location.
Posts: 366
nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problem wth LFT's

Originally Posted by timoshenko View Post
Hi, by slightly lower, can you remember the figures, I was 3 points below normal and it was listed as slightly low, nothing to be worried about and not noted as such on my medical form, Doc put it down to a course of antibiotics for an abscess which ended two days before the tests?
Mine was just under 3 points lower, which the doctor said was fine. Didn't think Immigration would make such a fuss but a re-test was ordered and just this alone took 16 weeks from when the MA received my first bloods to when they finally said "all clear".....you'll be fine but I'm sure Immigration will question it
nukiwi is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2010, 3:49 pm
  #14  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
BevK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Auckland NZ
Posts: 146
BevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to all
Question Re: Problem wth LFT's

Originally Posted by BevK View Post
Posted an online question to Immigration, but they could only say that it might be referred to the MA as they were not qualified to answer. Also directed me to the health section which states that conditions that would cost more than $25,000 NZD would be a problem. Probably better just having my gallbladder removed - got an appointment with a consultant surgeon on the 24th of this month. Might just send my application in with this information and see what happens.
Hi Nukiwi, hope you are okay. Well, went to see a consultant yesterday-very nice man. He's happy to list me for surgery to have my gallbladder removed-should be in about 5-6 weeks time. In the meantime I'll send my application in and provide then with results of my scan as well as informing them that my gallbladder is being removed. Hopefully this will okay. Need to get my application in anyway before the end of August otherwise I'll have to pay for another medical ... and I don't really want to do that. Anybody any idea how much solicitors/lawyers charge to witness a declaration?
BevK is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2010, 4:18 am
  #15  
BE Enthusiast
 
nukiwi's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: in a perfect location.
Posts: 366
nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problem wth LFT's

Originally Posted by BevK View Post
Hi Nukiwi, hope you are okay. Well, went to see a consultant yesterday-very nice man. He's happy to list me for surgery to have my gallbladder removed-should be in about 5-6 weeks time. In the meantime I'll send my application in and provide then with results of my scan as well as informing them that my gallbladder is being removed. Hopefully this will okay. Need to get my application in anyway before the end of August otherwise I'll have to pay for another medical ... and I don't really want to do that. Anybody any idea how much solicitors/lawyers charge to witness a declaration?
Hi BevK,

that it all goes well for you. I'm sure it will Its a very emotional roller-coaster journey but it will all be worth it in the end

Sorry I can't help you with the cost of solicitors/lawyers charges as we did ours here and it was free

Keep us informed of how things are going....
nukiwi is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.