Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Prison officers Looking to make to the move over. - how and which visa - moved to Imm

Prison officers Looking to make to the move over. - how and which visa - moved to Imm

Old Feb 25th 2013, 9:50 am
Just Joined

Tamogen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Prison officers Looking to make to the move over. - how and which visa - moved to Imm

Hi there. My husband works for the HM Prison service as an officer and has done for the last 12 years. I was an OSG in the prison service for 10 years until I left after the birth of our second child back in 2010.
With the prison service heading for uncertain times, we have been really considering a move over to NZ in the hope that he may continue in his profession and for our little family to have a fresh start elsewhere.
I have emailed the dept of corrections and shed about any vacancies and the email has been batted around the offices to other staff members but we are awaiting an email back.
I've looked on the skills need websites in order to get a works visa but prison officer is not listed anywhere that I have found.
If we manage to get the ball rolling with this then I will be organising most of it bit it's so daunting! Do I apply for a Visa first? Will I get a visa seeing as I'm now a housewife? I plan to work in the healthcare profession when I do go back to work, either in a care home or working with the less abled bodied, but as of yet have only GCSE qualifications (and there're questionable due to poor marks)

Basically, does anyone know where I start? Do I use one of these Internet companies to sort our visas or can I do it myself and save the fees?

Any help what so ever would be very greatfully received.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 10:54 am
Just Joined

bdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to allbdglm3 is a name known to all
Default Re: Looking to make to the move over.

I can't really offer any advice about your job, however, with regards to the visa companies, I think its pretty staight forward to apply online yourself (from what I have heard) Take a look at the Nz immigration website, you can fill out an application there and it will tell you how many points you get. Have a good search on this forum too there is lots of advice in different threads. Sit own with a glass of wine and have a good nosey about. Good Luck.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

I think you can only apply for Prison Officer roles once you have a work Visa and I'm not sure you'll get one for this. If you check their site (Dept of Corrections), then click on a specific job it will say for something like this....

Proof of identify and right to work check
You will be required to provide proof of your identity in the form of a passport, New Zealand driver licence, or birth certificate.

You must be legally able to work in New Zealand. If you are not a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, you must have a valid work visa.

Hopefully someone in the know will be along...when they wake up x
Old Feb 25th 2013, 3:54 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome!

I'll try and answer some of your questions though I can't comment about prison officers specifically.
Start by looking at the NZIS website http://www.immigration.govt.nz/ All the answers are there but it can be a bit of a maze sometimes.
Most of us on here have applied ourselves so do not tend to recommend using an agency unless your situation is complicated. Agents are extremely expensive and applying really is not that difficult if you are logical and can fill in forms!. If you do decide to use an agent it is very important to make sure that they are licensed.

The relevant visa options are as follows: Very briefly!
Skilled Migrant Category-this is an application for residency. You acquire points for age, work experience, qualifications and various other factors. Generally the higher the score the better the chance though this is not always the case. Prison officers are not in shortage so you would need a job offer [and a total of over 100] or over 140 points to have a good chance of getting this visa. This is the only visa you could apply for which does not require a job offer in order for it to be issued BUT it all depends on points and often a job offer is necessary to gain enough points to even submit an Expression of Interest [EOI]. Someone mentioned the Points Indicator under the SMC section on the website-have a look at this first to work out your points. As you presumably have lived together for over 12months and you have no quals then your husband would be the principal applicant and you would go on the same application as the non principal applicant.
Work to Residence-You are issued a work visa which allows you to work for 30months, after you have worked for 24 months then you can apply for residency. You can only apply for this visa if you have a job offer and certain conditions apply. I have a feeling that the Dept of Corrections is an accredited employer but I could be wrong, I am unable to access the website to check. This would mean that this visa is a possibility.
Work Visa - Temporary visa only and no definite route to residency. It would be job offer first and then apply for a visa, you cannot get a work visa without the job offer in place. You would get an 'open' work visa on the back of your husbands. Prison officers are not on any of the Skills shortage lists so there are certain conditions that the employer must fulfil in order to employ someone from overseas.

Hope I haven't confused you too much! You and your children's visas would be dependant on your husbands, you would get a visa if he does!

You need to find out whether the Dept of Corrections is an accredited employer as this could get you a WTR visa, also do the points indicator here: Points Indicator Does your husband have any qualifications?

Also do a search on here for prison officers, there have been a few threads on the subject.
P

Last edited by Persephone; Feb 25th 2013 at 3:59 pm. Reason: added a bit
Old Feb 25th 2013, 9:01 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prison officers Looking to make to the move over. - how and which visa - moved to

Kia Ora from New Zealand Tamogen and welcome to our wee NZ forum.

First things first.

It is a job offer first and then one applies for a work visa . Not the other way around. Persephone has given a clear rundown of the visa types available.

Please CLICK THIS LINK to the Dept of Corrections Overseas Applications. Apologies if you've already done so.

I can't see Correction/Prison officer on any of the shortage lists. Neither the long term nor the immediate.
I've also scrolled through the public Accredited Employers list & can't see Dept of Corrections there. Bit odd as I thought the same as Persephone, that New Zealand was always in need of Corrections Officers, although they may have chosen to not make the accreditation public.

From what I can gather, you need to apply for specific vacancies. If the Dept. of Corrections gives you a job offer , then you would probably choose to apply for a temporary work visa to get you all here and working within the timeframe set by the employer. Their HR would help you with this.

Being able to gain residency is a requirement.
Two ways for you to do this.
1 - Work to Residence - you need a salary of $55K pa for this
2 - Skilled Migrant. - which is a points based system.

Most all of us have done our own form filling at one time or another. We're all happy to help the best we can . That's what this place is all about.

Notes:
Originally Posted by NZIS

Occupations treated as exceptions
An offer of employment or current employment in New Zealand that is in an occupation listed below is eligible for points for skilled employment (see SM7.10.3).
  • 442111 Prison officer
Old Feb 26th 2013, 11:09 am
Just Joined

Tamogen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Prison officers Looking to make to the move over. - how and which visa - moved to

Thank you so much for the guidance on this issue. Looking at all links now.