Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Previous employer no longer in business...

Previous employer no longer in business...

Old Jul 6th 2007, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

JaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the rough
Default Previous employer no longer in business...

Hello everyone.
I'm starting to compile the mountain of paperwork for ITA. Since I am an IT contractor, I have a lot of work experience to document over the past 10 years!

My problem is that one company I worked for (that I am claiming experience for) is no longer in business, and has not traded for around 8 years. I have no idea what happened to all the HR records, since I had already left by then.

I am still in touch with my ex-boss from that company (although she left them before I did!). Would it be enough to get a letter from her to substantiate my claim? Of course it couldn't be on headed paper, so would they still accept it as evidence?

I can't be the only person to come up against this. Any and all advice welcome!

Thanks,
JaneAS
Old Jul 6th 2007, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Leighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant future
Default Re: Previous employer no longer in business...

Originally Posted by JaneAS
Hello everyone.
I'm starting to compile the mountain of paperwork for ITA. Since I am an IT contractor, I have a lot of work experience to document over the past 10 years!

My problem is that one company I worked for (that I am claiming experience for) is no longer in business, and has not traded for around 8 years. I have no idea what happened to all the HR records, since I had already left by then.

I am still in touch with my ex-boss from that company (although she left them before I did!). Would it be enough to get a letter from her to substantiate my claim? Of course it couldn't be on headed paper, so would they still accept it as evidence?

Thanks,
JaneAS
Hi Jane, Not entirely sure, but I think that if you have the original letters of employment offer, contract, playslip maybe, and any other paperwork from the time of that employment, plus a letter from your ex-boss I am pretty sure that you would be covered. As you say, loads of other people must end up in this position too. Have you a case worker assigned to you yet that you can ask?
Best of luck
Old Jul 7th 2007, 11:21 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone.

Thanks,
JaneAS

Hiya Jane

We had the same problem with 2 companies. My DH just made a statement in the covering letter expalining why there was no evidence for these.

We thought they might deduct points for work evidence but they were obviously satisfied with the explanation, because we've been here 3 months.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

JaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the rough

Thanks folks. I don't think there is much chance of me still having any payslips or tax documents from then, so I'll ask my ex-boss to write me a letter and hope that is sufficient.

How will I know when I have a case worker assigned? I received the formal ITA in the post on Saturday. Will it be included in there?

Cheers!
Jane
Old Jul 8th 2007, 10:42 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks folks. I don't think there is much chance of me still having any payslips or tax documents from then, so I'll ask my ex-boss to write me a letter and hope that is sufficient.

How will I know when I have a case worker assigned? I received the formal ITA in the post on Saturday. Will it be included in there?

Cheers!
Jane

Read the covering letter with your ITA.

It should have your case officers name in there and contact details (phone & email).

Make sure that you still cover the issue of work proof in your covering letter. NZIS are very fond of letter headed paper. If you can, get a former client to write a letter confirming that they dealt with you whilst you were employed by said company, then they can write it on letter headed paper!

Best of Luck.

If you get stuck, SHOUT!