British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   PR or WTR (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/pr-wtr-543337/)

alchris Jun 16th 2008 6:07 pm

PR or WTR

Hi
hubby had phone interview on Friday, he's an electrician, no job offer. My question is we were told we wont get PR straightoff as he has not got the provisional licence:o Apparently this was explained within our ITA!! My question is ''who on here, without a job offer has been granted PR?'' Also what was their job or skill? Maybe only those who require registration?
I am still unsure as to what if any are the downsides to only getting WTR?:o
Not complaining will be glad to get anything but just very curious

Cheers Chris:confused:

beater Jun 16th 2008 6:17 pm

Re: PR or WTR

Originally Posted by alchris (Post 6472360)
Hi
hubby had phone interview on Friday, he's an electrician, no job offer. My question is we were told we wont get PR straightoff as he has not got the provisional licence:o Apparently this was explained within our ITA!! My question is ''who on here, without a job offer has been granted PR?'' Also what was their job or skill? Maybe only those who require registration?
I am still unsure as to what if any are the downsides to only getting WTR?:o
Not complaining will be glad to get anything but just very curious

Cheers Chris:confused:

I'm also curious to know if some people actually get PR without a job offer. It is my understanding is that they normally give you a WTR if you don't already have a job offer. This gives you a fair amount of time to look for a job in NZ and when you get a permanent job in your line, they will issue a PR. I expect the same will happen in my case as I also do not plan to try and get a job before I actually go to NZ. So I would not be to worried about it.

beater Jun 16th 2008 6:18 pm

I'm also curious to know if some people actually get PR without a job offer. It is my understanding is that they normally give you a WTR if you don't already have a job offer. This gives you a fair amount of time to look for a job in NZ and when you get a permanent job in your line, they will issue a PR. I expect the same will happen in my case as I also do not plan to try and get a job before I actually go to NZ. So I would not be to worried about it.

alchris Jun 16th 2008 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by beater (Post 6472386)

Hi beater
I do know that there are people on here that have been granted PR, but didn't ask in what profession there were in.! I think as we seem to have sailed through everything really quick I am just waiting for the big 'bump' to happen.
Thanks

Heal Jun 16th 2008 6:37 pm

We received PR without a job offer.(carpenter)
At the end of the telephone interview we were told we would get either PR or WTR, I was a bit shocked as it was the first time WTR had been mentioned,I rang our agent who told us not to worry and that there are two types of wtr,you just have to provide employment details when you find work unlike the other wtr where you have to work for 2 years.
A week and a half later we found out we'd been granted PR.
Hope this helps.

Kimi-Deacon Jun 16th 2008 8:19 pm

Hi we got PR Visa without a job offer, OH works in IT and Telecoms.

alchris Jun 16th 2008 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Kimi-Deacon (Post 6472649)
Hi we got PR Visa without a job offer, OH works in IT and Telecoms.

Thanks for your replies Heal and Kim-Deacon, very helpful
I now believe it must be to do with the electrical registration needed in order to gain employment.
I'm sure others on here will be pleased to hear of your successes with the whole immigration process. Well done

Kimi-Deacon Jun 17th 2008 8:20 am

We were also told we could get WTR or PR but luckily got the PR, as long as you get a visa thats the main thing, Good Luck:thumbsup:

EmandKen Jun 17th 2008 8:18 pm

Hi
We got PR without job offer. Hubby is an IT programmer and I'm a secondary teacher.

BEVS Jun 17th 2008 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by alchris (Post 6472695)
Thanks for your replies Heal and Kim-Deacon, very helpful
I now believe it must be to do with the electrical registration needed in order to gain employment.
I'm sure others on here will be pleased to hear of your successes with the whole immigration process. Well done

Yes. It will be to do with EWRB provisional registration.

Although sparkies don't need an NZQA assessment of their UK quals, they do need assessment etc from the EWRB & from there a licence to work. They also need to do a H&S test.

As the search function here is currently broken again, I am unable to find the latest threads about this, so I will post up some much older info. which may help.

BEVS Jun 17th 2008 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by from a sparky a couple of years ago

The NZ electrician registration process is:-
1. Submit your City & Guilds (and/or other as applicable) qualifications and a VERY COMPREHENSIVE resume' of your work experience to the Electrical Workers Registration Board (EWRB) The address is PO Box 10156 Wellington, New Zealand – attention Mr. Paul McGrail.

More details can be found at www.med.govt.nz/ewrb/ or at www.ewrb.govt.nz. References from employers (i.e. an electrical supervisor or manager) or electrical inspectors (if you are self employed) must be included, to verify your work experience.

If your qualifications are deemed appropriate you will be exempt the NZ (level 4) electrical theory exam. If not, you may complete the theory training in NZ, BUT this may affect your residency application from the UK.

Your work experience is needed to confirm you have sufficient experience to comply with the requirements for obtaining a NZ Electrician Practising Licence. NOTE - work experience is best documented covering similar information to that shown in Schedule 1 of the Electricity Regulations Compilation 2003 – (see attached document). Further information on the Regulations can be found at - www.ess.govt.nz (the Energy Safety Services) web site. The required information can be downloaded free of charge.

2. Complete a provisional licence application, which requires the following:-

- A prospective employer in NZ who can sign the Supervision guidelines section of the application

- "Safety tuition training": - a series of one-day courses will be available (in conjunction with NZIS - London) during the year.

- Obtain a copy of the Supervision Guidelines and sign a declaration stating you have read, understood and will comply with the requirements. (I provide this during the training courses)

3. Once 1 & 2 above are completed, and you are in NZ working under your provisional licence, you will need to complete the practical assessment (called stage 3 practical) and the NZ electrical regulations exam. The exams are run in June and November of each year. Course work, including the practical assessment can be done at night school (Polytech) or on block courses.

After all that, you can apply for Registration and a Practising Licence as an electrician. There a few "fish-hooks", such as the provisional licence is only valid for 12 months from the date of issue and it may take longer than that to arrange to move to NZ. The (very helpful) NZIS people and the EWRB can supply more information.

provisional license estimate $60
CPR $70
practical course $400
regs course $500 (optional)
regs exam $80

I would imagine the fees have risen and some of the process may have changed but it is all I have for now.

BEVS Jun 17th 2008 11:12 pm

Here is more info from them

Originally Posted by more from a sparky a couple of years ago.
Re: how to register as an electrician.

hi bevs, well here we go,

1. A 3 day course for the practical and this involves everything, motors starters, forming pvc conduit, wiring relays etc. somewhere in the region of $400
2. CPR course $70
3. The dreaded regs, he will need the reference books if he doesnt have them or know anyone with them he will have to sit the regs exam cost $80 this is if he is a resident.this is a 3 hour exam.
He can get a job with a years provisional license as long as he has a cpr cert and has passed the practical they will issue him with the temp license.
On top of all this they will need his qualifications which have to be up to city&guilds 1 and 2 and he has to provide certs and also provide proof of experience even down to the wiring.
If he is not up to the EWRB standard he will have to sit a theory exam also on top of all this.
www.ewrb.govt.nz has all the necessary. Exams for regs are twice a year next one being june tell him good luck.

-----

GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND

1. Electrician Registration

1.1 List of Common Certificates

City and Guilds of London Institute - Level 2 Certificate
*Ordinary or Higher National Certificate in Electrical Engineering
*City and Guilds Full Technological Certificate
*City and Guilds Electrician's Certificate
*City and Guilds Electrical Technician's Part 1 Certificate
*City and Guilds Electrical Technicians Part 2 Certificate in Electrical Power Equipment
*City and Guilds Electrical and Electronic Craft Studies Part 2
*City and Guilds Electrical Installation Course 2360 Part 2
*City and Guilds Certificate in Electrical Installation Competencies
*Northern Counties T.E.C Electrical Technicians 2nd Year Certificate
*Welsh Joint Education Committee Electrical Engineering Technicians Part 1 Certificate
*Welsh Joint Education Committee Electrical Technicians Certificate 2nd Year (Intermediate)
*Scottish Technical Educational Council Higher Certificate in Electrical and Electronic Engineering
*BTEC (or TEC) Certificates:
National Certificate in Electrical Engineering
Higher National Certificate in Electrical Engineering
Diploma in Electrical Engineering
Higher Diploma in Electrical Engineering
any of these must have a pass in the following subjects:
- Stage II - Electrical and Electronic Applications, or Electrical or Electronic Principles.
- Stage III - Heavy Current Electrical Applications
*BTEC National Certificate in Mining Engineering (Mining and Electrical)
*Scotvec (Scottish Vocational Education Council) Higher Certificate in Electrical and Electronic Engineering

The following certificates are not now issued but are still acceptable:

*City and Guilds Intermediate Grade Electrical Engineering Practice AC and DC
*City and Guilds Final Grade Electrical Engineering Practice Parts 1 and 2
*City and Guilds Electrical Installation Work Courses "B" or "C" Certificate
*City and Guilds Intermediate Electrical Technicians Certificate
*City and Guilds Colliery Electrician Craft Certificate.
*City and Guilds Certificate in Electrical Installation Work
*City and Guilds Installation Work Certificate B and C (scheme 236)
*City and Guilds Certificate Part 2, Certificate in Electrical Installation Work

* Listed in Schedule 6 to the Electricity Regulations 1997

1.1.1 Equivalence to New Zealand Requirements

Any certificate exempts the holder from the 3rd stage theory examination requirements.

1.1.2 Registration Requirements

The holder of a certificate must:

(a) Pass the 3rd stage practical assessment or examination.

(b) Pass the regulations examination.

(c) Have documents that show 4 years work experience on (the equivalent of) prescribed electrical work that incorporates the skills in paragraph 1(2) of Clause 1 of Schedule 1 of the Electricity Regulations 1997. The experience can include the period of apprenticeship or training.

(d) Complete the safety instruction requirements of Clause 3 of Schedule 1 of the Electricity Regulations 1997.

1.2 Craftsman Certificate

1.2.1 Description

This certificate is evidence of completion of a training programme prescribed by any approved Industry Training Board. This includes the training for the City and Guilds of London Institute - Level 2 Certificate or equivalent.

1.2.2 Equivalence to New Zealand Requirements

This certificate:

(a) Exempts the holder from the 3rd stage theory examination requirements.

(b) Is evidence of the completion of 4 years work experience that has incorporated the skills in paragraph 1(2) of Clause 1 of Schedule 1 of the Electricity Regulations 1997 where the period of the training programme was 4 or more years.

1.2.3 Registration Requirements

The holder of this certificate must:

(a) Pass the 3rd stage practical assessment or examination.

(b) Pass the regulations examination.

(c) Where the period of the training programme was less than 4 years, have documents that together with the Craftsman Certificate show, at least, 4 years work experience on (the equivalent of) prescribed electrical work.

(d) Complete the safety instruction requirements of Clause 3 of Schedule 1 of the Electricity Regulations 1997.

------------------------------------

BEVS Jun 17th 2008 11:18 pm

Nick Chandler holds the H&S testing up at NZIS house in London I believe.

Perhaps contact him to see what is required for provisional registration.

There is now the same problem with plumbers. NZIS have stated that plumbers must have PGDB NZ registration but they cannot obtain that from the UK. They have to be in NZ and attend a 4 day course and assessment. All they can get is a letter from the PGDB stating their overseas quals make them eligible to take the PGDB registration assessments. It seems much depends on which NZIS case officer you get as to how this is interpreted.

2poor4this Jun 20th 2008 3:25 pm

Were in the same boat I'm afraid, I'm an electrician and I was reading our ITA paperwork last night and it says you cannot get PR without a job offer or full regitration with the EWRB, you can't get full registration without going to New Zealand and doing, as a minimum, the practical, first aid/Safety and regulations exam. I've already got a letter from the EWRB stating I'm elligible for a provisional licence if I get a job and someone to supervise my work.
I rang NZ immigration last night and they said that the probable outcome would be the issue of a work visa for up to 6 months, then I need to get a job within that time and contact immigration who would issue PR, I assume I'd need to be in the job for a few months before they're really happy.

One thing I forgot to ask them, do you need an exit ticket if you enter the country on a work Visa, or can we just fly one way?

keep us posted how you're getting on :thumbup:

alchris Jun 20th 2008 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by 2poor4this (Post 6486498)
Were in the same boat I'm afraid, I'm an electrician and I was reading our ITA paperwork last night and it says you cannot get PR without a job offer or full regitration with the EWRB, you can't get full registration without going to New Zealand and doing, as a minimum, the practical, first aid/Safety and regulations exam. I've already got a letter from the EWRB stating I'm elligible for a provisional licence if I get a job and someone to supervise my work.
I rang NZ immigration last night and they said that the probable outcome would be the issue of a work visa for up to 6 months, then I need to get a job within that time and contact immigration who would issue PR, I assume I'd need to be in the job for a few months before they're really happy.

One thing I forgot to ask them, do you need an exit ticket if you enter the country on a work Visa, or can we just fly one way?

keep us posted how you're getting on :thumbup:

Hi 2poor4this
We are still awaiting the outcome although we do expect the WTR visa, I believe when you get the job you have to work for them for 3 months. I also think that as it's work to residency you do not need to book an outward flight. Again it's more than likely I could be wrong, especially as I totally forgot they said we could not get PR! Wishful thinking and I'd read so many threads regarding people who got this without a job, I just think I was too excited about the whole thing and nothing sank in:o
We are hoping to get a letter from immigration next week which will hopefully outline the provisions of the visa. We did mention to the case officier we still had a house to sell,as she'd said about having 3 months, but when we send form back wait until 3 months is up and then she could extend it for another 3:ohmy: Wont really know until we hear, but will keep you posted when we do
Good luck with your ITA
Chris:confused: