British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   PR and returning resident's visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/pr-returning-residents-visa-517547/)

raedf Feb 27th 2008 10:59 am

PR and returning resident's visa

:D
Dear all;

if i got my PR and want to travel to New zealand for one month and then return back to my hometown to sale everything there and back again to new zealand to settle down there, do i need to get returning resident's visa, im confused because from what i read there that if you get your PR automatically you will be granted returning resident's visa for 2 years and after that you need to get new one?

is it right or i missunderstood it?
please your comment .

happynz Feb 27th 2008 11:21 am

Re: PR and returning resident's visa

You will get a returning resident visa good for two years. Upon arrival you will be given a resident permit allowing you to stay in New Zealand indefinitely. You are free to travel outside New Zealand during this time and when you arrive back into New Zealand you will have stamped into your passport a resident permit once again allowing indefinite stay. When your resident visa is due to expire you can apply for an Indefinite Resident Returning Visa (IRRV) which will allow you to leave the country for extended periods without losing your rights to return to New Zealand and take up residence again. That's the general play.

If you are thinking about citizenship you need to be in New Zealand 184 days each calendar year for five years after being granted residency to be eligible.

I think this is how it works. Yeah, due diligence and all. Check with NZIS to be sure.

newkiwi Feb 27th 2008 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by raedf (Post 5989420)
:D
Dear all;

if i got my PR and want to travel to New zealand for one month and then return back to my hometown to sale everything there and back again to new zealand to settle down there, do i need to get returning resident's visa, im confused because from what i read there that if you get your PR automatically you will be granted returning resident's visa for 2 years and after that you need to get new one?

is it right or i missunderstood it?
please your comment .

your ok as long as you retuirn to new zealand before your returning resident visa expires. you automatically get a returning resident visa valid for two years when you get your Residency.

to renew an expired RRV (ie after the two years have elapsed) you need to demonstrate the time you spent in nz etc.

raedf Feb 28th 2008 9:43 am

:D Dear newkiwi and happynz;

thanks for reply and i didn't join this ovely fourm for nothing , im always sure i will got answer here for all my query .

thanks for you and for all member here.