PR Question

Old Aug 26th 2007, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

pooleyathome is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool PR Question

Hi
New to this board so my apologies if this question has been asked a few times.

I've just sent off my EOI and was wondering, if I was successful in obtaining PR, is there was a minimum amount of time I'd have to spend in NZ in order to keep my PR status? I'm in the Military and looking to move out in 2009 when I've completed my time.

I know in Canada if you have PR you have to be resident for at least 2 out of every 5 years.

Thanks in advance

Pooley
Old Aug 26th 2007, 5:33 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: PR Question

Hi ya Pooley,

Once you are granted PR outside of NZ you have one year to get here to activate your residency. Once you have done that you will be given a returning resident's visa which is good for two years. After that two year period, provided you can show a legitimate tie to the country, you can apply for an indefinite returning resident visa which means you an stay out as long as you like and still have the right of return. That's how I understand it.
For citizenship purposes you will need to spend at least 183 days per year inside New Zealand for a period of five years.
Check www.immigration.govt.nz for details...
Old Aug 26th 2007, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

pooleyathome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PR Question

Originally Posted by happynz
Hi ya Pooley,

Once you are granted PR outside of NZ you have one year to get here to activate your residency. Once you have done that you will be given a returning resident's visa which is good for two years. After that two year period, provided you can show a legitimate tie to the country, you can apply for an indefinite returning resident visa which means you an stay out as long as you like and still have the right of return. That's how I understand it.
For citizenship purposes you will need to spend at least 183 days per year inside New Zealand for a period of five years.
Check www.immigration.govt.nz for details...
Thanks very much for that info, greatly appreciated.