British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   PR to PRV query - 184 day mandatory residence period (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/pr-prv-query-184-day-mandatory-residence-period-767851/)

citybanklondon Aug 10th 2012 7:37 am

PR to PRV query - 184 day mandatory residence period

Need help about some points about obtaining PRV

In late Sept 2012 we are expecting to get our PR 'bleweys' endorsed in the passports. I expect we will then have 12 mths to fly into NZ which I am planning to do in August 2013. I want to be sure how the PR to PRV time period is calculated, because when we leave NZ 18 mths later (as planned) we would want to have PRV which allows unrestricted access into NZ and out regardless of how long one has been away from NZ. We cant come before 01/09/2013 as I need to work and save up and OH is finishing her Masters in Graphic Design which might give her more scope to get employment once she arrives in NZ.

So assuming we arrive in NZ on 01/09/2013 our first stint of 6 mths will be up by 28/02/2014 but our first year will not end until 01/09/2014. Then the second year will kick in on 02/09/2014 and if we were to stay a further six months on from that date i.e. until say 15/03/2015 and then leave NZ as we must leave by that date since my OH has the Indefinite Leave which allows her to be outside the UK for no longer than 2 years so she must be back in England by April 2015. So my question is we have done the 184+184 days in NZ in our 18 mth stay in that country. Will NZIS consider this as having met the condition for PRV?

Last point....The policy dictates that the 184 days condition in the first 2 years has to be met by the 'Principle Candidate'. Does this imply that once we enter NZ as a family, the OH and kids can leave anytime and only I as the Principle applicant need to fulfil the 184 x2 days condition? Has anyone experienced such a situation?

My time limits are tight so I need to know in advance and I am sure if I out these queries to any NZIS office they will probably either ignore this technical query or just refer me to their website which is unable to answer such specific queries.

All help and advice received with thanks.
Cheers
Citybank
ps- if anyone should like to email me their comments then pls do so on:

4785966 at gmail dot com

MOSO Aug 11th 2012 6:53 am

Re: PR to PRV query - 184 day mandatory residence period

I don't know exactly as I said in your other post. I suspect you may get questioned on entering/leaving NZ as your passport will be stamped with exact dates of leaving/entering. I only ever left on holiday, but a longer absence and then applying for PRV without travel restrictions may be questioned as your passports are definitely checked when you apply

My other query that you may want to follow up is that you're talking about applying after 18 months. Through mistakingly being told the wrong info at Heathrow I tried to apply before the 2 years was up and was refunded the money and my application returned. The 2 years is calculated from the date you enter NZ for the first time and therefore validate your visa, not from the date you get the first sticker in your passport in the UK (which was the mistake they made at Heathrow). That made my application at about 18 months in fact, but I was told to reapply at or after the 2 year period which I understand you'll be back in the UK by then?

You need to get confirmation about the principle candidate bit too as every member of your family will have their own visas in their passports and therefore stamped.

It's all very confusing but I have a feeling NZ will want to see commitment to the country as well as coming and going on a very tight time frame. Do you plan to buy property here and the kids attend school etc. - I could be wrong though. Is there a helpline you could phone or a visit to NZ house if you're near London?

BEVS is the immigration expert extraordinaire:rofl: so may have an idea?

citybanklondon Aug 11th 2012 7:50 am

Thanks Moso- Yes we would be coming with kids and they will need to go to school, my initial idea was to come to AKL but that seems too expensive a place to live in, so then I turned my attention towards Palmerston North or as a second option to live in Lower/Upper Hutt and get a job in Welly...I think daily commute is do-able, right? But have no solid idea on the cost of living and how to secure accommodation before arriving...any hints about this?

Now about the PRV issue...as you know we are getting PR next month and I and the kids are British but the OH isnt. So she has already got indefinite leave for the UK and she has already traveled to the UK on that visa in June this year. I will send her again in 2013 before coming to NZ as she can be away from the UK for up to 2 years but no longer otherwise the IL gets revoked and that is too heavy a price to pay as we still have to test the waters in NZ (having no links to NZ, never visited NZ so a raw experience).

If we have to be living in NZ for 2 years then it may mean we have to come in Feb 2013 rather than August 2013 which would have allowed me to save up more money for 6 mths which would come in handy once we are in NZ. For the first year, I am budgeting $30k in savings and hope to pick up a job in say Welly within a month of arriving so we can get by for the 1st year, then my OH can also work as a graphic designer so things should get better after the first 12 mths.

If getting PRV means risking the British IL then we wont risk it as atleast I know all about the UK having been born there and lived for 25 years, and its not economically prudent to keep coming back and forth between NZ and Britain as the cost is exhorbitant for a family of five! Hence I was interested in finding out that if the principle applicant is only required to do the 184 days period in NZ then the family members could leave after staying just one year in NZ and I could carry on singely and do that stint.... I am planning to get the PR stickers in person at NZIS so should perhaps take all my queries to them and use the opportunity.. Thanks for sharing your experiences though. cheers citybank

citybanklondon Aug 11th 2012 7:56 am

Oh sorry MOSO, on another note although I am from the UK we have been in the Middle East since 2008 and although I have current registration with the NZ teaching Board that allows me to teach at secondary level in New Zealand, I understand there is little demand for teachers as there is an over-supply these days and so I will have to find work in another related field (like teaching ESL) or in the role of a student support co-ordinator which is what I am currently doing. In short we will give it our best shot for a year and that much time is enough to test the waters......so long

MOSO Aug 11th 2012 8:54 am

Looking back through your previous posts it seems that you should already have PR?

Teachers at any level here are not in shortage, in fact there is very very little work around so I'm unsure how you're going to get PR on the back of that?

of course, I don't know your details, but I suggest that you should contact an immigration lawyer as your situation seems very complicated.

citybanklondon Aug 11th 2012 10:00 am

MOSO, I was approved for PR at a time when a secondary teacher was on the LTSL and now I believe it is not, my case was delayed due to obtaining NZTC registration via track 2 which is more complex, appealing against refusal which took 15 months and then the case being refered to the minister for a decision which took 8 mths so all in all I have had a 3 year wait.

simonsi Aug 14th 2012 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by MOSO (Post 10221352)
...but I have a feeling NZ will want to see commitment to the country...

Hmmm funny that, the concept of bouncing in and applying for PR while having a definite date to bounce out again so close seems...odd - bet NZIS will think that too if it becomes clear to them, they aren't numpties.

citybanklondon Aug 15th 2012 4:59 am

Nothing funny about that- all within the boundaries of current NZIS policies and regulations. If it can be done then why not as long as no conditions are being violated? Didnt know NZIS was handing out browny points for sucking up to them ! and them not being 'numpties' ha - having a laugh are you? By far the most inept, untrustworthy, slow, poorly communicative entity one can ever come across...!

GoingIn2011 Aug 17th 2012 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by citybanklondon (Post 10227985)
Nothing funny about that- all within the boundaries of current NZIS policies and regulations. If it can be done then why not as long as no conditions are being violated? Didnt know NZIS was handing out browny points for sucking up to them ! and them not being 'numpties' ha - having a laugh are you? By far the most inept, untrustworthy, slow, poorly communicative entity one can ever come across...!

That's not my experience. NZIS have always been awesome as far as I have experienced. Plus, these criteria are subject to change at any time and I would not bank on it being the same in 2 years... Getting residency upgraded is just a formality usually but if they don't think you are being sincere in your intentions they reserve the right to not lift the travel restriction - meaning that you will still have a visa but one where you cannot leave and get back in...