Possibly a stupid question..

Old May 29th 2008, 10:54 am
Just Joined

claire.cornell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possibly a stupid question..

If me and the other half apply for permanent residence now through the skilled migrant category (for him, I'd just be going with him ) and by some miraculous series of events we were accepted soon what would happen if:

he got accepted say in the next 6 months and was successful for permanent residence but we didnt want to move until August next year? Can that be done or do we only have a certain amount of time from him being successful to us actually moving over there?
Old May 29th 2008, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possibly a stupid question..

Hi Claire,

Not a stupid question if you don't know the answer!!!

Once you have your visa in your passport, you have 1 year to the day to arrive in NZ and therby activate your PR Visa.

Hope this helps!
Old May 29th 2008, 11:17 am
Just Joined

thanks! One more daft question lol If he got permanent residency by being a skilled migrant would that also mean that I would get PR as his dependant? Or would I have to find work and then apply in my own right?

Last edited by claire.cornell; May 29th 2008 at 11:31 am.
Old May 29th 2008, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

If your OH is the main applicant, you include yourself on his application as his partner. You don't need a job offer, although if you do get one that would be even better.
Our ITA was acknowledged 19th May and it's for my OH (carpenter), me and 3 teenagers.
I've lost count how many times I've logged onto the immigration website to fill one more section out of the EOI and then on here to ask my own 'stupid question'.
So, carry on asking away. They all seem friendly and helpful enough on here!
Old May 29th 2008, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by claire.cornell
thanks! One more daft question lol If he got permanent residency by being a skilled migrant would that also mean that I would get PR as his dependant? Or would I have to find work and then apply in my own right?
as his partner you basically get whatever he gets.
so if he gets PR you get PR, and if he gets a work permit you get a work permit (your workpermit being "open" in that you can work for anyone in any job)

If you split up it can become complicated.....make sure he keeps you happy
Old May 29th 2008, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by newkiwi
as his partner you basically get whatever he gets.
so if he gets PR you get PR, and if he gets a work permit you get a work permit (your workpermit being "open" in that you can work for anyone in any job)

If you split up it can become complicated.....make sure he keeps you happy
We should be OK - been together for 4 years, lived together for most of that and still going strong! It will be me that needs to keep him happy as the main applicant