British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   possible problem getting visitors visa????? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/possible-problem-getting-visitors-visa-820578/)

andrew 89 Jan 6th 2014 6:48 pm

possible problem getting visitors visa?????

I am UK citizen, i have just returned from australia, were i was on a holiday working visa. I got involved in a long relationship while i was over there and stupidly overstayed my visa. I was caught in brisbane airport and given a 3 year exclusion period ( witch is fair enough i broke the law) i was not removed or deported, they got me as was leaving to come home to the uk and saw my visa had expired and told me of the 3 year exclusion.

I am now intending on going to new zealand to visit my girlfriend for her sisters wedding. Now as a uk passport holder i understand that i am ok for 6 months and i get this on arrival in new zealand.

i have two potentional problems: will my exclusion period from australia affect this?? are they likely to refuse me because of this???

Also because we dont know exactly wat are plans are yet, eg, wether we will return to england or my girlfriends country ( moldova) or somewhere esle, i have no return ticket or ticket to another country. we will be with her family for maybe a month or so for a holiday then either go somewhere else or apply for longer visas in NZ ( I have no intention of overstaying again thats for sure). But wat im worried about is they will refuse me because i have no ticket to leave NZ. Will proof of funds be enough for them to let me in????

does anybody think i will have any problems???

any response or advice would be greatly appreciated as i travel in 3 weeks and this stuff just occurred to me now , so iv got abit of a panic on :unsure:
I

MrsFychan Jan 6th 2014 7:00 pm

Re: possible problem getting visitors visa?????

I think it depends on the immigration officer you get at the time, to be on the safe side I personally would buy an open ticket to leave NZ to make sure you are allowed entry. not sure if the exclusion from OZ will impact on you entering

JerseyMatt Jan 6th 2014 7:01 pm

You'll probably have an issue not holding an onward or return ticket, last time I was in NZ with my wife and son (both NZ citizens) they asked to see my return ticket. I'm sure other more knowledgable people will be along shortly to help.

andrew 89 Jan 6th 2014 7:14 pm

thanks for your response guys!! i should of put in my original post that i already have a one way ticket booked. i have plenty of money so im hoping that will be enough if i take a statement. Do think this is a big gamble?? Im realy getting worried now because it will be a very expensive round trip if they say no!!

Persephone Jan 6th 2014 7:59 pm

The airline flying you to NZ will check you have a ticket out of NZ before you even get onto the plane out of the UK. That ticket has to be somewhere you have the right to enter which excludes Aus. You won't even get on the plane to NZ without that return/ exit booked. I have seen people have to buy a ticket before they can be checked in.

The airlines get fined for transporting those without the correct documents so they're not going to take a risk.

I know the INZ website mentions having funds to buy a ticket out as acceptable but the booklet that the airlines get is also on that website and does not mention this. I wouldn't risk it unless you're prepared to buy a flight at the airport!

I don't know how much info Aus and NZ share, so can't answer your other question, sorry. However if they do share your exclusion info, then you should be prepared to show a clear plan for your stay in NZ, including when you'll leave:)

andrew 89 Jan 6th 2014 8:17 pm

do you think id have the time to apply and get a longer visa??? the working holiday one?? i think uk citizens can get a 24 month one. do u think this would solve the problem??????????

andrew 89 Jan 6th 2014 8:18 pm

i mean apply before i go and hopefully get it before i go, i travel on the 21st of this month

JerseyMatt Jan 6th 2014 8:37 pm

Maybe, but you only have 2 weeks to read up, apply, meet any requirements/ info they might have/want and have it granted. Best to check on the NZ immigration website for more details as there are 2 different working holiday visas you can apply for, given the time scale the 12 month one would be your best bet.

NZ Working Holiday Visa's

JerseyMatt

Persephone Jan 6th 2014 8:43 pm

Timewise Probably possibly doubtful:unsure: As a uk citizen you have the choice of a 12 or 23 mth WHV. You'd have to get medicals done for a 23 mth visa.
http://http://www.immigration.govt.n...idayscheme.htm

Why not get a refundable ticket or one where you change the return trip. It will cost more especially as you have already booked a oneway ticket... but would solve the flight out issue.

Please read the link above, the quote below is from the section on character under the WHV:

Summary of Terms
Good character
To grant you a New Zealand visa we need to be assured that you and any family included in your application are of good character. We make this requirement to protect the well being and security of New Zealanders.

Under sections 15 and 16 of the Immigration Act we will not grant you a visa if:

you have been convicted and sentenced to imprisonment for 5 years or more (this applies even if any of your offences have later been taken off the record)
in the past 10 years you were convicted and sentenced to imprisonment for 12 months or more
you are subject to a period of prohibition on entry to New Zealand under section 179 or 180 of the Immigration Act 2009
you have been deported or removed from New Zealand under any enactment (whether before or after the commencement of the Immigration Act 2009)
you are excluded from New Zealand under any enactment
you have, at any time, been removed, excluded, or deported from another country
you have been involved in terrorist activities, or belonged to or supported any organisation involved in terrorist activities
it is believed you are likely to commit – or to assist others to commit – criminal or drug offences, or an act of terrorism, in New Zealand
it is believed you are likely – due to any international circumstances – to be a danger to New Zealand’s security or public order
it is believed you are associated with an organisation or group that has criminal objectives or is engaged in criminal activities and for that – or any other reason – you’re considered to be a threat to the public interest or public order of New Zealand.

As a general rule, we carry out character checks on everyone 17 years or over included in residence applications or applying for temporary entry for 24 months or longer. We may also undertake a character check on anyone else that we consider may not meet our character requirements.

Another option could be to speak to an immigration advisor about what the best option is for you. As I said we do not know how much info the two countries share so you need to show as much proof that you will leave NZ as you can
P:)

andrew 89 Jan 6th 2014 9:04 pm

thanks mate!!! yeh think il give them a ring, its too much of a risk to just chance it i think

Persephone Jan 7th 2014 3:33 pm

Thinking about it again, I would get some professional advice on this. It's not something we can advise you on really. The information above is fine if you're a typical visitor. However, the exclusion could mean you're not going to be admitted and there's no use spending more money if that's the case. The problem is that we just don't know.

From what you've said, looking at it from INZ's side- you have just overstayed and been excluded from Aus, you now want to enter NZ with no definite plans on what you're going to do or when you plan to leave, possibly without a ticket out of the country... We don't know how much info they share so NZ may or may not know about the exclusion... I can't remember if you have to declare it on the entry card or not...

Under section 15, the following people are not eligible for a visa or entry permission to enter or be in New Zealand:
Any person who -

at any time (whether before or after the commencement of the Immigration Act 2009), has been convicted of any offence for which that person has been sentenced to imprisonment for a term of five years or more, or for an indeterminate period capable of running for five years or more; or
at any time within the preceding 10 years (whether before or after the commencement of the Immigration Act 2009), has been convicted of any offence for which that person has been sentenced to imprisonment for a term of 12 months or more, or for an indeterminate period capable of running for 12 months or more; or
is subject to a period of prohibition on entry to New Zealand under section 179 or 180 of the Immigration Act 2009; or
at any time (whether before or after the commencement of the Immigration Act 2009) has been removed or deported from New Zealand under any enactment; or
Note: This provision does not apply to persons: deported from New Zealand under section 158 of the Shipping and Seaman Act 1952; or, who were subject to a removal order under section 54 of Under section 15, the following people are not eligible for a visa or entry permission to enter or be in New Zealand:
Any person who -
at any time (whether before or after the commencement of the Immigration Act 2009), has been convicted of any offence for which that person has been sentenced to imprisonment for a term of five years or more, or for an indeterminate period capable of running for five years or more; or
at any time within the preceding 10 years (whether before or after the commencement of the Immigration Act 2009), has been convicted of any offence for which that person has been sentenced to imprisonment for a term of 12 months or more, or for an indeterminate period capable of running for 12 months or more; or
is subject a period of prohibition on entry to New Zealand under section 179 or 180 of the Immigration Act 2009; or
at any time (whether before or after the commencement of the Immigration Act 2009) has been removed or deported from New Zealand under any enactment; or
is excluded from New Zealand under any enactment; or
has, at any time, been removed, excluded, or deported from another country.

andrew 89 Jan 13th 2014 7:27 pm

exclusion period problems!! maybe???

hello!!!

i am a uk passport holder, i am going to NZ on the 21st of this month for a holiday for my girlfriends sisters wedding, i intend to arrive in Auckland an get a 6 month visitors visa. i have a return ticket and i will also have proof of ample funds. and have a clean criminal record

but last year i stupidly overstayed my Australian working holiday visa, and got a 3 year exclusion period. I was taking my flight home to England wen the person behind the desk in customs noticed my visa had expired, and informed me of the 3 year exclusion. I was not removed or deported, i was leaving of my own accord as i had realized i was in the wrong. Anyway I was wondering if my exclusion period for Australia will impact on me getting a NZ visitors visa, even if i have a return ticket and proof of funds???? how likely are they to refuse me entry????

is it a cut and dry thing??? or will it be down to the person behind the desk at the time???? any response to this would be greatly appreciated :)

JerseyMatt Jan 13th 2014 7:50 pm

Re: exclusion period problems!! maybe???

I'm fairly sure the answers will be the same as you got on your last thread about this, that said, the relevant part on the immigration card doesn't ask about exclusion....

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...F6D8/0/Arrival..

andrew 89 Jan 13th 2014 8:15 pm

ahhhhhh ok i just thought i would post again as i have now got a return ticket and got my bank statements sorted. out of interest mate, if it was u would u risk it???

Persephone Jan 13th 2014 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by JerseyMatt (Post 11076761)
I'm fairly sure the answers will be the same as you got on your last thread about this, that said, the relevant part on the immigration card doesn't ask about exclusion....

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...F6D8/0/Arrival..

I have requested that the threads be merged.
If the arrival card does not ask then you will just have to see what happens. Worst case scenario is that you get sent back. If NZ know about the exclusion then lying about it if asked could make things worse.
I don't know what's going to happen, at least you have a flight now. I don't recall ever seeing a similar thread on here that might give you more of an idea. But even then, it won't help much; just because someone possibly gained entry does not mean you automatically will.
I wish you lots of luck. Let us know how it goes:)