Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Is it possible that agent wants to fool me?

Is it possible that agent wants to fool me?

Old Nov 22nd 2009, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

Ahmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really nice
Default Is it possible that agent wants to fool me?

Hello,

I am looking for your comments on my experience with a migration agency.

I want to lodge a skilled migration application to NEW ZEALAND, because my my Australian application is frozen currently. I am posting this here because this is more active than NZ immigration forum.

Lodging an Immigration Application to NZ is complicated (in my opinion) and not straight forward like in OZ. So, I needed to consult an agent to know whether I qualify or no. I paid a fee for an assessment report, and then the agent said " Yes, you have a strong case under the current regulations, we recommend that you proceed with you application". Well, this qualification is dependant on bonus points.

I must be registered as a professional engineer with the NZ engineering body in order to claim those bonus points. THIS IS MENTIONED CLEARLY IN NZ IMMIGRATION BOOKLETS. The engineering body of NZ requires 7 years of working experience in order to register me as a pro, and I do not have that as I am (almost) a recent graduate. They offered me registeration as a "graduate engineer" instead.

The agent refused to comment on that because my consultancy time has finished, and that I should proceed with my application and pay them the full visa management fee. The fee is 3 times higher than the skilled migration application fee !

I hope I did not confuse you, and that you are still following

The 3 questions I have are:
1 - Can I name the agency on here? is it allowed? I want to know if others have experiences with them
2 - In your opinion, should I close my eyes and follow the agent blindly? Simply because they are professionals and they know what they are doing?
3 - Do you think agents, usually, accept cases that are unlikely to qualify, just for the sake of money?

I want opinions guys, what do you suggest.

Thanks,
Ahmad
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 6:46 pm
Alone again, naturally

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it possible that agent wants to fool me?

The whole process for migrating to NZ is different from Australia and they have different rules about migration agents. You therefore need advice from people familiar with the New Zealand system and so I am moving your thread into the NZ Immigration forum.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 9:58 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Why not seek a 2nd or even a 3rd initial consultation with another NZ licensed Immigration Agent of you are unsure of the information you are receiving. some give initial consults for free I believe.

If you have concerns about the agent you are dealing with then contact IAA.

All NZ immigration consultants must be NZ licensed & follow the codes of conduct.

If you have over 100 points, then you can submit an EOI under the skilled migrant category.
Of course, you need to have your qualifications and work experience match the skilled occupation.

Per NZIS

Engineering Professionals (233111 to 233999) (Including Roading, Design, Structural, Mechanical, Geotechnical, Electronic, Project, Transport/Traffic, Fire, and Environmental), Telecommunications Engineering Professionals (263311, 263312)
A degree level (level 7) qualification and registered on the International Professional Engineers Register or Asia Pacific Economic Co-operation (APEC) Engineers Register OR a Washington Accord accredited engineering degree
However, I can't see Engineering being one of the occupations where NZ registration is a requirement by NZIS. Please see HERE

I can quite see that your overseas degree and work experience would have need to be assessed to see whether they match the NZIS register level 7 requirement for this occupation . For that for your overseas quals and work exp would have been assessed by IPENZ Engineering Body.

Most of the Immigration Consultants that I have heard about require payment for their services in stages.
I'm not sure that any Immigration Consultant can give you or anyone else a 100% guarantee on a successful outcome of an application.

Old Nov 23rd 2009, 3:22 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ahmad,

As Bevs said please make sure any agent you use is licensed!

We're in Egypt and we're using a Wellington based resident advisor. We've only reached the ITA stage but we didn't have to pay any assessment fees. She takes her fee in stages with each stage you reach and seems genuine. She responds to all our emails and is approachable, if you'd like to contact her to see what she can do for you and her fee structure let me know and I will PM you her contact details. Please bear in mind we're only at the ITA stage, we haven't received PR or anything so it still remains to be seen if we get there
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Ahmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really nice

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post

If you have concerns about the agent you are dealing with then contact IAA.

All NZ immigration consultants must be NZ licensed & follow the codes of conduct.
They are registered and lincensed, I knew that from the beggining. Can I name the agency on here? Or is it not allowed?

Originally Posted by Kija View Post
Hi Ahmad,

As Bevs said please make sure any agent you use is licensed!

We're in Egypt and we're using a Wellington based resident advisor. We've only reached the ITA stage but we didn't have to pay any assessment fees. She takes her fee in stages with each stage you reach and seems genuine. She responds to all our emails and is approachable, if you'd like to contact her to see what she can do for you and her fee structure let me know and I will PM you her contact details. Please bear in mind we're only at the ITA stage, we haven't received PR or anything so it still remains to be seen if we get there
Yes please, I would like to contact your agent. Kindly, PM her contacts to me

Ahmad
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 9:05 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

If you wish to name the agent you are using then that is fine.

When you write your post , please remember that this is an open forum and so your agent is free to read what you write.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 9:58 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

This is our agent:

http://www.iaa.govt.nz/adviser-register/200900465.htm

If and when we get those blue stickers, I will highly recommend her but TBH so far so good, plus we contacted many advisors at the beginning and most of them said we wouldn't even get through EOI! Good luck Ahmad, my advice to you is be very careful with everything and research and check and double check. This site is fantastic, full of info. Pity about your OZ application, my brother in law is going through the same thing.