British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Police Clearance Certificate (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/police-clearance-certificate-403458/)

nero Oct 21st 2006 6:33 pm

Police Clearance Certificate

We are looking at completing our ITA and we need to complete our Police Clearance Certificate. We live in London and when you go onto the Metropolitan Police site they have two forms that you can complete. One is the Police National Computer form and the other is the Metropolitan Police Systems Form.

Does anyone out there know if we need to complete the two or whether we could just complete the Police National Computer form :confused:

dreamfish Oct 21st 2006 6:57 pm

Re: Police Clearance Certificate

Originally Posted by nero
We are looking at completing our ITA and we need to complete our Police Clearance Certificate. We live in London and when you go onto the Metropolitan Police site they have two forms that you can complete. One is the Police National Computer form and the other is the Metropolitan Police Systems Form.

Does anyone out there know if we need to complete the two or whether we could just complete the Police National Computer form :confused:

eeek, erm, does one form relate to convictions, and the other where you have been a witness? i dont recall having a choice on the site i used for cambs area.... sorry, thats not much help is it. back in my box.:rolleyes:

ssnjeff Oct 21st 2006 9:45 pm

Dear Nero
When we wanted our police forms we had to ring this number 020 7230 2958 and it was an answering machine, it goes through a long intro then asks you to leave your details. We received the forms back from them about 5 days later and once we had sent them off it took 41days for mine to arrive, and 47 for the wife. :(
On the actual police cert it gives the address as:

National Identification Service
Subject Access Office
Room 350
New Scotland Yard
Broadway
London SW1H 0BG
Tel 020 7230 2958
Fax 020 7230 2688
Hope this helps,

mcuddy1 Oct 21st 2006 9:49 pm

:)

It is the Police National Computer form you need, with did this one, sent it off with all the other stuff and hey presto got our visa's. :)

lardyl Oct 21st 2006 9:52 pm

FYI our local Constabulary said complete one form which they sory out and they forward it to the Met for final checking - they only heve computers in London it seems!!
A tip if you don't want your ID to go off into the post (as we did when I found out my OH's DoB was incorrect on her NHS card!!), then go to a Police Station (if you can find one that is open), where the desk sgt. will check your passport or other ID and sign the form off - no need to lose that important passport.
Our sgt. also frightened my 4 yr old so that he behaved perfectly for the rest of the day!!! :)

Stevie1963 Oct 21st 2006 9:53 pm

HI there, I just received my completed form back from the Police. I only completed the National Computer form which is adequate for the visa application.
The details you receive back are just a list of any prosecution/convictions the Police may have on record (I am proud to say mine is clear) basically it is just a letter stating I have no criminal record but I have been assured by the New Zealand embassy that this is sufficient.
Hope this has helped you and good luck with your move. I will be going over in Nov 2006 so keep me informed of how you get on.
All the best
Steve

nero Oct 22nd 2006 8:25 am

Thanks for all of your help on this one. I will pop down to my local station and see if I can get the process started. :)

SarahB Oct 22nd 2006 8:55 am

Originally Posted by ssnjeff
We received the forms back from them about 5 days later and once we had sent them off it took 41days for mine to arrive, and 47 for the wife. :(

Wow... we were lucky, I'm sure ours only took 2-3 weeks to come back.

lardyl Oct 22nd 2006 9:20 am

Thanks for all of your help on this one. I will pop down to my local station and see if I can get the process started. :)

I'd suggest you call em fist to make sure they are open, and call the data protection dpt or log onto their website to get the forms downloaded and fill them in beforehand (if only to see what ID is required) - time is precious when you are emigrating..... good luck :D

lardyl Oct 22nd 2006 9:21 am

Originally Posted by SarahB
Wow... we were lucky, I'm sure ours only took 2-3 weeks to come back.

depends upon time of year - if students need em for placements then it can be the full 40 working days - glad we got ours off 6wks ago - one less thing to worry about! :D

SarahB Oct 22nd 2006 9:31 am

Originally Posted by lardyl
depends upon time of year - if students need em for placements then it can be the full 40 working days - glad we got ours off 6wks ago - one less thing to worry about! :D

We were lucky with the whole getting PR process anyway...went through so quickly!! Thats twice we've had the police ones done... we started the process a few years back but I got preggy and then the company OH works for got bought out... we forgot all about emigrating til we had an email saying the job offer was on again and did we want to come out here.

Am Loolah Oct 22nd 2006 9:50 pm

Don't forget they're only valid for 6 months, and medicals and chest x-rays for 3, but you send all to NZIS at the same time, so watch your timings!

Maz1 Oct 23rd 2006 7:22 pm

I just phoned our local police station (hartlepool)and they gave me the number to the Middlesbrough branch who sent the forms to me. I sent them back with a cheque for £10. It went off to Scotland Yard and 35 days later I received the papers back all clear. :)

lardyl Oct 24th 2006 6:36 pm

:) FYI, ours submitted to Police Stn on 29 Sept, received letters on 24 October - good service! not the 40 days promised!!
Now all we need is the job offer (should be tonight/Thursday) and then ITA expediciously :) :cool:

SirEglamore Oct 25th 2006 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl
:) FYI, ours submitted to Police Stn on 29 Sept, received letters on 24 October - good service! not the 40 days promised!!
Now all we need is the job offer (should be tonight/Thursday) and then ITA expediciously :) :cool:

Police checks back today after 12 days :D