British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Police checks from other than the UK. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/police-checks-other-than-uk-614175/)

Jazzy_Singh Jun 10th 2009 4:43 am

Police checks from other than the UK.

Hey people,

Me and my wife are applying under the skilled migrant category with no job offer. selected IN EOI on 6th of may. we have indian passports but living in the US since last 6 years. where in the US and INDIA do we have to get the police certificates from as a part of the ITA?

Please guide us

BEVS Jun 11th 2009 1:20 am

Re: Police checks from other than the UK.

For the Indian police check , you should contact the Indian Embassy in the States.

For the US police check it seems you contact the FBI

as per the NZIS website about USA police checks.

From the NZIS website

Residence
  • All applicants aged 17 years or over must provide police certificates at the time a residence application is lodged unless there is a different instruction in the country-specific information (see below).
  • If you have lived for periods of 12 months or more in any other countries during the last ten years, you must also provide police certificates from these countries, and also your country (or countries) of citizenship unless you can provide satisfactory evidence that you have never lived there.

marie22 Jun 11th 2009 2:05 pm

Re: Police checks from other than the UK.

Originally Posted by Jazzy_Singh (Post 7650716)
Hey people,

Me and my wife are applying under the skilled migrant category with no job offer. selected IN EOI on 6th of may. we have indian passports but living in the US since last 6 years. where in the US and INDIA do we have to get the police certificates from as a part of the ITA?

Please guide us

Hi Folks,

We are Brits in the USA (Virginia) and just done the Police check here. Not sure which State you are in but we contacted the State Police and they arranged an appointment for finger printing which is then sent to the FBI. You can access the info via the FBI website. It was quite a quick turnaround. On the funny side of things - We had to enter the Police Dept to have the finger printing via the sex offenders entrance. So don't be too freaked out if it is the same for.
Any problems come back to me. I aslo had to get one from Italy...now that was interesting. :)

Good luck
Marie

Jazzy_Singh Jun 11th 2009 4:36 pm

Re: Police checks from other than INDIA/UK(people outside their home country).

Marie,

Really appreciate ur reply. I'm in fullerton, california. We shared the same experince :) I picked my wife from work and took her to the police station. We passed this one couple whose daughter did domestic violence. wow and then the officer brought us in for the printing where i say the plan of the jail. I mena it was quite an experience, never been to a jail in my entire life .. hhaha.

On the question follow up the link we are following is www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm.

I'm confused about the cover letter that they have in this link coz it has a clause in between somewhere that says 'I am requesting a criminal history backgroundcheck for personal review pursuant to 28CFR§16.30-16.34' is that correct. i mean arent we doing it for immigration and not our personal use. please guide me.

Also you mentioned you contacted the state police station. how different is to my case, since i contacted just a local police station yesterday and got my fingure printing from there.

Do i need two cover letters for me and my wife?

i think this post is getting longer than i expected. Please feel free to shoot me an email at <snipped>. we can keep in touch there too since we are in a similar situation.

regards

marie22 Jun 12th 2009 11:26 am

Re: Police checks from other than INDIA/UK(people outside their home country).

Originally Posted by Jazzy_Singh (Post 7656572)
Marie,

Really appreciate ur reply. I'm in fullerton, california. We shared the same experince :) I picked my wife from work and took her to the police station. We passed this one couple whose daughter did domestic violence. wow and then the officer brought us in for the printing where i say the plan of the jail. I mena it was quite an experience, never been to a jail in my entire life .. hhaha.

On the question follow up the link we are following is www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm.

I'm confused about the cover letter that they have in this link coz it has a clause in between somewhere that says 'I am requesting a criminal history backgroundcheck for personal review pursuant to 28CFR§16.30-16.34' is that correct. i mean arent we doing it for immigration and not our personal use. please guide me.

Also you mentioned you contacted the state police station. how different is to my case, since i contacted just a local police station yesterday and got my fingure printing from there.

Do i need two cover letters for me and my wife?

i think this post is getting longer than i expected. Please feel free to shoot me an email at <snip>. we can keep in touch there too since we are in a similar situation.

regards

Hi folks,
I have e mailed you the stuff we used. Hope it helps. Any problems come back to us.
Kind regards,
Marie