Essential Skills, LTSS, or SMC Visa!?!

Old Sep 6th 2017, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Flyddo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Essential Skills, LTSS, or SMC Visa!?!

Hello again

So we are a family of 4 in the process of organising our big move to NZ.

My husband has a job offer in Christchurch and his job is on the Long Term Skills Shortage list as Diesel Mechanic.

I have just taken my IELTS exams and passed and am a nurse but currently organising everything to register with NZ nursing council.

We have 3 visa options, the Essential Skills and Long Term Skills Shortage as we could use my husbands job offer, or the Skilled Migrant Residence Visa.

What are people's opinions on which one we should go for?

We are aiming to give live in NZ at least 2 years to settle etc.

Out children are 7 and 3 so what visa would they need?

Thanks!!
Old Sep 6th 2017, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Essential Skills, LTSS, or SMC Visa!?!

Personally I put in my SMC visa ( I'm a nurse too) and had that working in the background, I then applied for a talent ((accredited employer) as most of the DHB are and work visa for mrs inked and dependant child visitor visas for the inklings. To get over a bit quicker

Completely forgot as I'm writing this do you have a job offer? Or will you be going out on the strength of your fellas?

It's taken 3 months so far for my SMC invitation to apply to get put in front of a case officer so it is a long process hence the temp visas. However the ibklings can't go to school with the visitor visas (well they can for 3 months if I want to pay enormous fees) but as the 6 week holiday is approaching not a problem.

Timelines are always different but I started this one last year and found things were affected by the summer holiday and Christmas drawdown
Old Sep 6th 2017, 9:12 am
Just Joined

Flyddo is an unknown quantity at this point

We are going out on the back of my husbands job offer and I will look to just do some casual work whilst we settle in and I get some NZ nursing experience. We can go on any of those visas ES, LTSS or SMC, the first 2 are processed within 25 working days and are a lot cheaper.
Essential skills is a temporary and would be for upto 3 years based on my husband's skill level but we can apply for residency after 2 years. He wouldn't need his skills assessed for this visa so would save approx. £500, we wouldn't need medicals for this either.
LTSS would be for upto 30 months then would have to apply for residency, he would need his skills assess here by IQA and would cost $784 and we would need medicals etc.
SMC would take a lot longer and cost a lot with visa fees, medicals, skills assessment etc but would mean we could stay.

I was just thinking, the quickest would be Essential skills and would cover us for the 3 years but if immigration change the rules within the next 3 years and we decided we wanted to stay out there it may make it difficult on this visa. But this is the cheapest and quickest option but a gamble.

Just getting all confused on the best way to go and want to make sure the kids can go to school!
Old Sep 28th 2017, 6:24 am
Just Joined

BillyBhoy is an unknown quantity at this point

any idea how long an ESSENTIAL SKILLS visa takes to process, i put it in on the 15th of sept and was hoping it would be a quicker turn around than the stated 23 working days
Old Sep 28th 2017, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillyBhoy
any idea how long an ESSENTIAL SKILLS visa takes to process, i put it in on the 15th of sept and was hoping it would be a quicker turn around than the stated 23 working days
As far as I know from reading between the lines they're taking longer to process nowadays. There's a bit of a backlog due to recent visa rule changes which halted all temporary and resident visa processing for a month or so plus the CO's have to apply two sets of rules now depending on when applications were submitted so that in itself will slow things up as they'll be double checking and double checking again that they've got things right.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 10:34 am
Just Joined

Jhawks is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there
Just been reading through these messages and I'm also unsure on which visa to choose. I'm a midwife as originally was going to apply for an essential skills visa. However I recently went to a immigration seminar where an adviser mentioned applying for a work to resident visa instead of an essential skills visa. The only one that I can find is the talent (accredited employer) work visa! as midwifery is no longer on the skilled shortage list. Would this one be the best to use as our plans were to gain residency after 2 years if all still going well?
Old Oct 9th 2017, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

As long as your employer holds accreditation from INZ then it’s the best visa for you, personally I also had residency ticking away in the background as two years is a very long time with the ever changing immigration policies in New Zealand