British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Police Certificate from Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/police-certificate-spain-539730/)

jacquelrose May 29th 2008 11:39 am

Police Certificate from Spain

has anyone applied for a police certificate in spain as a uk citizen living here for 5 years, to apply to move to New Zealand, and what was the process, timescale as we all know the spanish are not quick at processing things. I believe I need one from UK and SPanish police

BEVS May 29th 2008 11:12 pm

Re: Police Certificate from Spain

It would seem not Jaquelrose.

Here is what NZIS say about obtaining a Spanish Police Certificate.

Specific procedure for Spain

Certificates can be obtained:

In Madrid – from the:

Ministry of Justice
Central Registry of Convictions
San Bernardo
21 28015 Madrid

Outside Madrid – from your local police.

Outside Spain – through a Spanish Consulate.

Non-Spanish nationals who are not currently in Spain may be able to obtain a police certificate through their country's embassy in Spain. Some countries have a reciprocal agreement with Spain allowing embassies to obtain a police certificate on the applicant's behalf. Applicants are advised to contact their embassy in Spain to enquire. People who were living illegally in Spain are not able to access this service.
I found the information on the NZIS website HERE (click the blue type)

also , it states this

Providing evidence of good character

The person applying for a visa or permit needs to provide police certificates as evidence of their good character. We need to see certificates for everyone 17 years of age and over included in their application. We need certificates from:

* the applicant’s country of citizenship (unless they can prove they never lived there) and
* any country the applicant has been in for 12 months or more in the last five years, whether in one or more visits.
on the NZIS website HERE

Hope this helps you a bit.

Water Lily May 31st 2008 7:41 pm

Hi there, I got one recently, not as a UK national living in Spain, but the other way round, as a Spanish citizen living in the UK :)

However, I believe the procedure is the same in both cases, and it's very straightforward. And, may I add, much cheaper than in the UK! :p (about €3.50, not £30+ like here)

First you need to print and fill out a form. I was going to give you a link but the site is down for maintenance work. You need to go to www.mjusticia.es, then go to "tramites personales" and somewhere in there should be "certificado policial".

Once you've filled out the form, take it to any bank, pay the fee, then send the paperwork to the address BEVS gave you.

My sister in law did this for me as I couldn't pay the fee from here, but they then sent the certificate directly to me and it took about a week to ten days to receive it, so pretty quick really! If you happen to be in Madrid however, you can go in person and they'll give it to you there and then, so quicker still.

Hope this helps

cappuccino Jun 1st 2008 1:46 am

My work colleague here in NZ is having problems obtaining his police report from Spain. He was just working there for 3 years and is not a Spanish or UK national. Stumbling blocks he has encountered so far include being told he has to apply IN PERSON within Spain to organise this. He tried sending a representative but that didn't work as his rep wasn't a Spanish national. He also involved a Spanish solicitor but that didn't work. He is now stuck trying to work out a way other than spending thousands of dollars to fly over to Spain and personally apply for the report.

Water Lily Jun 2nd 2008 10:57 am

Hi capuccino

I am not sure who told your colleague he had to apply for his police certificate in person but this is certainly not true. I know from experience that Spanish authorities can be a bit... how can I put this politely??? I don't think I can... anally retentive (pardon my French) about everything, but they won't go as far as expecting someone to travel from the other side of the world to get a piece of paper.

One problem I did encounter was that they want a certified copy of your passport. Here in the UK you can get your GP, a teacher, a police officer, etc, to certify a copy, but they won't accept this. They will only accept a copy certified by a Spanish authority, so in this case your friend should be able to get help from the Spanish embassy in Wellington. In fact the embassy should be able to arrange the certificate for him, that's what embassies/consulates are there for, to help with any transaction so that you don't have to travel to the country itself.

Embassy
Ambassador: D. Marcos Gómez Martínez
56 Victoria Street, P.O. 24-150, Wellington 6142

Tel: 9131167
Fax: 9131166
[email protected]

Consulate
Postal Address PO Box 10048, Wellington
Telephone 472 5804
Fax 471 0672
[email protected]

Not sure how up to date these details are as I know they were in temporary offices whilst their more permanent location was being prepared, but worth a try.

Personally, I chose not to involve the Spanish consulate in London after several bad experiences of total inefficiency, so it meant a little bit more work for me, and some help from my sister in law, but I got there in the end.

If your friend knows someone in Spain who could help him pay the fee for example (which was my biggest problem as I didn't want to spend a small fortune on an international transfer), the rest should be pretty straightforward. But like I said the embassy should be his first port of call.

Good luck!

cappuccino Jun 3rd 2008 7:56 am

Thanks WaterLilly, I will pass on your advice.