British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   police cert £35??? thought it was a tenner?! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/police-cert-%C2%A335-thought-tenner-559526/)

Stoof Sep 4th 2008 7:54 pm

police cert £35??? thought it was a tenner?!

erm.... i've read lots on here people talking about police certs for £10, yet i've just followed the link on NZIS website to ACPO and they say £35...

i'm confused (no change there then!)

my enhanced CRB check is just being completed at work (they don't know i'm leaving yet!) will this do?!

thanks all!

scrubbedexpat094 Sep 4th 2008 9:51 pm

Re: police cert £35??? thought it was a tenner?!

I went to our local cop shop & asked them for the appropriate form to fill in, sent it off & cost a tenner but that was 4 yrs ago now, maybe it's inflation or to aid the police party fund :lol:

teebrown Sep 5th 2008 6:52 am

We paid £35 each as well, but people who have gone to their local cop shop only paid £10 and i think if your CRB is current that is do. If you submit your CRB and immigration come back to you saying not good enough, then quickly go and get a £35 one done, ours came back within 10 days.

Good luck

P2L Sep 5th 2008 7:28 am

Check on your local police force site for prices.

I've just checked our old forces site, ( Northants) and it's still £10.

You are looking for Data Protection Subject Access

Pollyana Sep 5th 2008 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Stoof (Post 6749557)
erm.... i've read lots on here people talking about police certs for £10, yet i've just followed the link on NZIS website to ACPO and they say £35...

i'm confused (no change there then!)

my enhanced CRB check is just being completed at work (they don't know i'm leaving yet!) will this do?!

thanks all!

You will need the ACPO check. The old £10 checks done through the local Forces are not used for immigration to certain countries now, NZ included, though they still exist as the are used for thousands of other purposes.

A CRB check has never been acceptable for immigration purposes.

Stoof Sep 5th 2008 11:29 am

thanks all!

£35 it is then!

nic.gem.soph Sep 6th 2008 9:51 am

ACPO (Association of Chief Police Officers) are currently trialling a scheme for immigration purposes, a new and quicker(?!) way of getting police certificates and they cost £35.... the old way is no longer.....

nic

Beetrooper Sep 7th 2008 9:30 am

Hi,

we have just had our Police certs done and it was £35 each and we had them back in 10 days - mind you they squash the photo down on the certificate and I look like a munchkin - nice!!!

Just the medicals to go!

Scouse Dave Sep 7th 2008 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Beetrooper (Post 6758061)
Hi,

we have just had our Police certs done and it was £35 each and we had them back in 10 days - mind you they squash the photo down on the certificate and I look like a munchkin - nice!!!

Just the medicals to go!

Oh, is THAT all?? :(

(Best of luck btw!)

AndyRuth Sep 9th 2008 11:10 pm

Hi all ,

took out ITA down to NZ House yesterday ( 9th ) with the £10 police checks , they are still accepting them at the moment - may just save you a few quid !!

JasonSouthYorks Sep 10th 2008 4:01 pm

The £10 ones aren't done locally, they are sent to Scotland Yard for processing via your local force. This check will show up any cautions or convictions showing on PNC. I believe this is what NZIS are interested in.

CYGNET Sep 13th 2008 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 6751482)
You will need the ACPO check. The old £10 checks done through the local Forces are not used for immigration to certain countries now, NZ included, though they still exist as the are used for thousands of other purposes.

A CRB check has never been acceptable for immigration purposes.

Is it true that the Acpo £35 police checks are only valid for 6 months. Ours are dated the 30th May, so if we do get Visa shortly, we will need to validate before Nov 08, is that correct. We had our medicals last week, so they should be OK.

Kimi-Deacon Sep 14th 2008 8:57 am

We went online to our local police force, downloaded the form, filled it in and took to the police station in our town with our ID and it cost £10, and immigration accepted it no problems.

http://www.norfolk.police.uk/artPDF/A220Jan06.pdf

The above link is for the form issued by Norfolk Police, your local force should have a similar form.

Scouse Dave Sep 14th 2008 9:11 am

Whether a tenner or 35 quid - pay up and move on. When you get your "We'll let you live here" letter, they'll sting you for another $300 as a "migrants levy". And that's in addition to the $700 they lift off you for processing your paperwork....get used to it if you're coming here! ;-)

JasonSouthYorks Sep 14th 2008 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Scouse Dave (Post 6781863)
Whether a tenner or 35 quid - pay up and move on. When you get your "We'll let you live here" letter, they'll sting you for another $300 as a "migrants levy". And that's in addition to the $700 they lift off you for processing your paperwork....get used to it if you're coming here! ;-)

You've missed the point. Nobody is moaning about the cost, it is whether NZIS accept the £10 or not as some of us weren't even aware of the £35 one. And whether the visas would be held up if we had to re-apply for another police check.
Also, by the time our ITA has been submitted we are all aware of the costs involved.

BEVS Sep 14th 2008 10:34 pm

The ten quid one should be perfectly acceptable as far as I know. That is what we used. The £35 quid jobby used to be for fast tracking I thought.
I quite see what you mean though Stoof. The NZIS website leads you to the pilot scheme put in place by the UK Constabulary.

As far as I can see the ten quid jobs from your local police station shuld do the job.

for instance here is the form from the Dorset Police. It seems to still be ten quid.

Go along to your local main police station and ask them for the police clearance forms or look up your county headquarters and hopefully download from there. Always good to save £50 quid where you can .

Originally Posted by stoof

No Stoof. Get the normal police check . NZIS like their paperwork to be reasonable uniform ;)

sundry note for those looking in :-

A police check
must be no more than six months old to be acceptable.

JasonSouthYorks Sep 15th 2008 3:08 pm

My ITA has just been received at NZ House ad I have just spoken to my case officer.

The £10 one is fine so no need to worry!:D

Stoof Sep 15th 2008 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by JasonSouthYorks (Post 6785530)
My ITA has just been received at NZ House ad I have just spoken to my case officer.

The £10 one is fine so no need to worry!:D

ace! cheers jasonsouthyorks .... am just looking on the local constab site for what i need!

Stoof Sep 15th 2008 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 6783525)
The ten quid one should be perfectly acceptable as far as I know. That is what we used. The £35 quid jobby used to be for fast tracking I thought.
I quite see what you mean though Stoof. The NZIS website leads you to the pilot scheme put in place by the UK Constabulary.

As far as I can see the ten quid jobs from your local police station shuld do the job.

for instance here is the form from the Dorset Police. It seems to still be ten quid.

Go along to your local main police station and ask them for the police clearance forms or look up your county headquarters and hopefully download from there. Always good to save £50 quid where you can .

No Stoof. Get the normal police check . NZIS like their paperwork to be reasonable uniform ;)

sundry note for those looking in :-

A police check
must be no more than six months old to be acceptable.

thanks Bev!

Stoof Sep 15th 2008 3:45 pm

just had a very frustrating conversation with the local police HQ....

me 'i can't find the form on your website that i need to download'
them 'do this this and this - there it is'
me 'yep, that's what i've done, but it's not there'
them 'do this this and this - there it is'
me 'yeah, STILL not there'
them 'erm'
me - blinding flash of 'oh i bet your website only likes internet explorer and not safari'..
them 'erm'
me 'can you email one to me?'
them 'erm'
me 'please? or send it in the post'
them 'hang on, i'll check'
them 'you should be able to get it off the website'
me.......

etc etc etc

ho hum

malcoltom Sep 15th 2008 6:10 pm

I rang the ACPO number today and this is what they told me.
quote 'The ACPO address for applying for certificates was being run on a pilot scheme with certain Police forces. It was deemed a success and is now being rolled out across the country. It will be in force nationwide within the next few weeks. The price will be increased from the normal £10 to £35. Local Police forces will cease to supply customers with application forms.' unquote.

If you have recently applied and only paid a tenner then you were lucky and got in before your force ceased trading.
:thumbup:

CarolineSwan Sep 15th 2008 7:23 pm

ok i just been on my local site, strathclyde then south lanarkshire and i cant see where i would down load a police check form, i have one but was looking to see if i could find the 10 quid one!!!! pfftttt

CarolineSwan Sep 15th 2008 7:27 pm

found it lol, i just wasnt looking in right place

BEVS Sep 18th 2008 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by carolineshewan (Post 6786379)
found it lol, i just wasnt looking in right place

Have some karma just because all this is a nightmare innit. :)

weejie Sep 18th 2008 9:31 pm

I just went in to the station and asked for the form,took 2 bits Id and filled it out there and then. No probs. £10 only.

Phyllis

malcoltom Sep 19th 2008 7:32 am

Dont forget that Scottish law is different from the rest of the UK, so you may be able to keep getting them done locally.
I have just had to apply for Criminal Records checks for my job in the UK but cant get them done as a sole trader so have to get a registered company to obtain them for me in England.
I contacted the Scotland records office and they are processing them for £20 no questions asked.
All move to Scotland prior to applying for NZ!!!!!:thumbup: