British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Points system and chances (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/points-system-chances-701976/)

wali007 Jan 23rd 2011 3:05 pm

Points system and chances

hi,

I am claiming total 115 points via point calculator, whats my chances for NZ immigration ,i am claiming 10 points for short term skill list and 10 points for long term skill list.
I am telecom Engr and having 4 yrs Experience.

Can any one pls suggest.

Thanks & Regards

BEVS Jan 23rd 2011 7:57 pm

Re: Points system and chances

There are no points for the immediate shortage list.

One may claim bonus points for a skill in absolute shortage or future growth.

115 points with no job offer - I'd say pretty slim but that's just a guess on my part.

Please see the latest selection from This Thread and then click the links to read the selection history

wali007 Jan 24th 2011 1:17 pm

ok , got it thank you

robbyarg Jan 28th 2011 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by wali007 (Post 9122830)
hi,

I am claiming total 115 points via point calculator, whats my chances for NZ immigration ,i am claiming 10 points for short term skill list and 10 points for long term skill list.

Can any one pls suggest.

Thanks & Regards

A little strange in your points calculation for bonus points. Your points are good, but with 4 years, you should be able to get 15 points bonus work experience, and qualification may be 10. Since you get to 115 points and I can't recall too many selections for the last 12 months where 115 points with 15 points work experience have been rejected.

I fancy your chances if you have correctly calculated 115. With 4 years work experience, you chance looks quite superb esp if achieved post qualification.

I would suggest you fill a draft EOI to confirm your points in 115 on the NZ immigration site. If correctly 115, I suggest you lodge, and you may get it in 1-3 selections (one selection is a fortnight). I know someone with lesser points of 110 who got selected in 3 selections, 6 weeks from the EOI submission in 2010 November. Got the ITA about a month later in 4 weeks.

wali007 Feb 2nd 2011 11:05 am

Thank you for reply

still not sure what to do , you both have shown two different pictures of story :(

BEVS Feb 2nd 2011 9:21 pm

There you go. We all see things differently.

Let's start again then. No-one can make a decision for you but we can help and support.

Putting in an EOI costs money and can remain for a total of 6 months in the pool before being removed. So, you could think to yourself that you are happy to submit an EOI and are willing to chance the $$$ money.

Next: Let's double check those points of yours. You state 115 - no job offer.

So. What makes up those points please?

4 years work exp in a comparable labour market? 15 points
A degree ? Either NZIS recognised or NZQA assessed.
Age ?
Long term shortage list bonus points?

edit here.......

If you are wanting a sure bet to be selected from the EOI pool and you know you have the required qualifications and work exp for the occupation you are claiming points for. Plus that occupation is on the Long TermShortage list - then why not go for a job offer and gain over 140 points . That is an automatic selection.

BEVS Feb 2nd 2011 9:29 pm

Now:-
Let's look at the past few selections . As you don't have a job offer & the points are not over 140 I'll just quote the relevant part of the selection.

Selection 12 January 2011– Skilled Migrant Category

58 EOIs were selected that had a points total of 125 or more but less than 140, and included 15 bonus points for work experience in an area of absolute skill shortage.
Please note here that EOIs with 15 bonus points for work experience were selected in that draw BUT all of those selected were of 125 points and over.

Selection 26th Jan 2011 -SMC
58 EOIs were selected that had a points total of 100 or more but less than 140, and included 15 bonus points for work experience in an area of absolute skill shortage.

Selection 15th December 2011 -SMC
47 EOIs were selected that had a points total of 100 or more but less than 140, and included 15 bonus points for work experience in an area of absolute skill shortage.

BEVS Feb 2nd 2011 9:33 pm

Selection criteria

SM3.15 Selection of Expressions of Interest
  1. As Expressions of Interest (EOI) are entered into the Pool they will be ranked on the basis of total points claimed for employability and capacity building factors in accordance with the Skilled Migrant Category. The ranking of EOIs relative to each other will change as EOIs enter, or are withdrawn from, the Pool.
  2. EOIs in the Skilled Migrant Category Pool are selected from that Pool periodically on the Government's behalf by the Department of Labour.
  3. Selections from the Pool are made in the following manner:
    1. EOIs that have total points of 140 or more are selected automatically from the Pool;
    2. EOIs that have total points of 100 or more but less than 140, and include points for the principal applicant's offer of skilled employment or current skilled employment in New Zealand, are selected (according to their points ranking) in sufficient numbers to meet the requirements of the Skilled/Business Stream of the New Zealand Residence Programme (NZRP) at the time of that selection (subject to any adjustment to the number or distribution of places in the NZRP determined by the Government).
  4. If, following the selection process set out at (c) above, further places are available in the Skilled/Business Stream of the NZRP at the time of that selection (subject to any adjustment to the number or distribution of places in the NZRP determined by the Government), additional EOIs may be selected from the Pool on the basis of criteria set from time to time by the Minister of Immigration, having regard to the objectives of the Skilled Migrant Category. Those criteria are specified at SM3.15.1.
SM3.15.1 Additional selection criteria
  1. The following additional selection criteria apply for the purposes of SM3.15(d), for selections from the Pool occurring until 31 January 2011 inclusive.
  2. EOIs will be selected by applying the criteria in the order in which they appear in (i) – (iv), to the extent necessary to satisfy any exercise of the discretion under SM3.15 (d):
    1. EOIs that include 15 points for work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage (in descending order of their points total);
    2. EOIs that include 10 points for work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage (in descending order of their points total);
    3. EOIs that include 10 points for a qualification in an area of absolute skills shortage (in descending order of their points total);
    4. the points total of EOIs not meeting any of the criteria in (i) – (iii) (in descending order).

wali007 Feb 4th 2011 4:23 am

4 years work exp in a comparable labour market? 15 points
Telecom Experience(4 year)

A degree ? Either NZIS recognised or NZQA assessed.
Electrical Engineering(yet to be assess by NZQA)

Age ?

Long term shortage list bonus points?

shooterspalace Feb 8th 2011 9:58 am

Dear Senior Members/ Experts,

I am reading the posts silently this NZ section for few days. I gathered some idea through the www.immigration.govt.nz and BE forum. Here is my details below.

1) Current Age: 30 years 2 months - ( 25 points)

2) Educational Qualification: B.Sc. Computer Science from Bangalore
University (India) - ( 50 Points as in level 7 in NZQF)

3) Bonus Points for recognized Qualifications in an absolute area of skill
shortage - (10 Points)

4) More than 6 years IT work Experience - (20 Points)

5) Bonus Points for recognized work Experience in an area of absolute skill
shortage - (15 Points)

Now Total Point is 120

Additional Information:
-My IELTS (General) Score: Overall 6.0
-Spouse IELTS Score (General) : Overall 4.5
-Spouse Educational Qualification: B.Com (Bengali language Medium)
-Have one baby boy, 3 years age.

Can you tell me is there any scope to gather more points with the help of additional information?

Is my current total point sufficient to get PR Visa without having a NZ Job offer/Employment?

If I want to apply, then what are the step-by-step procedures?

Please share your opinion.

Regards
Shooterspalace

shooterspalace Feb 8th 2011 5:06 pm

Sorry, not to mention one thing. My education B.Sc. Computer Science was 3 Years Degree.

Persephone Feb 8th 2011 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by shooterspalace (Post 9161279)
Dear Senior Members/ Experts,

I am reading the posts silently this NZ section for few days. I gathered some idea through the www.immigration.govt.nz and BE forum. Here is my details below.

1) Current Age: 30 years 2 months - ( 25 points)

2) Educational Qualification: B.Sc. Computer Science from Bangalore
University (India) - ( 50 Points as in level 7 in NZQF)

3) Bonus Points for recognized Qualifications in an absolute area of skill
shortage - (10 Points)

4) More than 6 years IT work Experience - (20 Points)

5) Bonus Points for recognized work Experience in an area of absolute skill
shortage - (15 Points)

Now Total Point is 120

Additional Information:
-My IELTS (General) Score: Overall 6.0
-Spouse IELTS Score (General) : Overall 4.5
-Spouse Educational Qualification: B.Com (Bengali language Medium)
-Have one baby boy, 3 years age.

Can you tell me is there any scope to gather more points with the help of additional information?

Is my current total point sufficient to get PR Visa without having a NZ Job offer/Employment?

If I want to apply, then what are the step-by-step procedures?

Please share your opinion.

Regards
Shooterspalace

A very short step by step summary: Submit EOI, get selected from the pool, wait for NZIS to assess your points total and send out ITA if acceptable, complete ITA and return to NZIS, wait for NZIS to assess your ITA and issue you with a visa [which may not be PR] if they are happy with your documents.
Obviously there are no guarantees that anyone will be selected or receive an ITA or visa however far along the process you get.
Expression of Interest Guide
Take note of the sections on Comparable Labour market and work experience points. Also have a look at the section on English language requirements as both your IELTS scores are lower than the required levels.

List of Recognised Qualifications Check your qualification is on here. It does look like Bangalore University is on the list which would mean you do not need to get your degree assessed by NZQA.
You can gain extra points for a spouse's qualification, to gain these points the qual would have to be on the above list or you would have to get it assessed.

Your current points total [being over 100] would mean you could submit your EOI but no one can guarantee that you would be selected. Having points in an area of skills shortage makes this more likely however.

jmcnelson Feb 14th 2011 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by wali007 (Post 9122830)
hi,

Can any one pls suggest.

Thanks & Regards

If you are in the long term skilled shortage list and are uncertain of your points, why dont you try a different route and go for a Work to Residence Visa? We found it to be a more fast tracked system got us here quicker but the downside is you have to do the residency application all over again after the two years is up to be able to stay.

Persephone Feb 15th 2011 12:06 am

Originally Posted by jmcnelson (Post 9176720)
If you are in the long term skilled shortage list and are uncertain of your points, why dont you try a different route and go for a Work to Residence Visa? We found it to be a more fast tracked system got us here quicker but the downside is you have to do the residency application all over again after the two years is up to be able to stay.

However you can only apply for a WTR visa if you have a job offer in place. If you have enough points under the SMC then you can gain PR without needing an offer.

BEVS Feb 15th 2011 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by jmcnelson (Post 9176720)

UUmm. :unsure: That's not really what the users are asking about. They are pondering their chances of an EOI selection with the points they can muster. Of course a job offer helps any application enormously but I think that if these users had job offers they would go straight for PR from their home turf, if you see what I mean.

For them it is all about certainty. Also, in my experience, these are also unsure of the process or cannot quite understand the process from the NZIS website.