British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Points for partners nursing experience (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/points-partners-nursing-experience-636657/)

DavenHelen Oct 20th 2009 12:22 pm

Points for partners nursing experience

My wife Helen has 11 years experience as a qualified nurse but her registration has lapsed whilst raising our two children. I fear we are unable to claim points for her skilled employment as she is not currently employed and her registration has lapsed?
When we were in Auckland in 1998 she was able to work on our working holiday visa as we went through the process of getting registered with the New Zealand Nursing council but as this is over 10 year ago I also think this is now lapsed.

If we can not claim for her work experience could we possibly claim for her Diploma in Adult nursing qualification?

Numptyhead Oct 21st 2009 9:15 am

Re: Points for partners nursing experience

When you become registered with the New Zealand Nursing Council it is actually for life. It is the practice certificate which must be renewed yearly in order to practice.

I would suspect that in order to practice (if that is what she wants to do), she will have to do a 'return to practice' course, either here or in NZ. Contact both the NMC and the NZNC with regard to their return to practice requirements. Depends on when you are hoping to be out there but I would have thought it would be better to do it in NZ

You will be able to claim points for the Diploma and the work experience both here and in NZ.
Good Luck

DavenHelen Oct 21st 2009 10:36 pm

Thanks Numptyhead, we thought that would be the case re 'return to practice' course
We are still unsure if we able to claim points for the nursing qualification because nursing is an occupation that needs to be registered with the Nursing Council of New Zealand and despite Helen having a life long registration it is now no-longer current to enable Helen to practice without the back to nursing course.
Should we claim the 20 points which would be very useful or are we unable to use this registration to practice. We don't want to put something factually incorrect on the form.

What do people think?

Numptyhead Oct 22nd 2009 7:14 am

Originally Posted by DavenHelen (Post 8034868)
Thanks Numptyhead, we thought that would be the case re 'return to practice' course
We are still unsure if we able to claim points for the nursing qualification because nursing is an occupation that needs to be registered with the Nursing Council of New Zealand and despite Helen having a life long registration it is now no-longer current to enable Helen to practice without the back to nursing course.
Should we claim the 20 points which would be very useful or are we unable to use this registration to practice. We don't want to put something factually incorrect on the form.

What do people think?

Hi DavenHelen,

When I completed my ITA I had to prove my NZ RN registration by producing the certificate. I did not have to produce my current practice certificate. In fact I did not have it when I submitted my EOI.
When the ITA arrived there was a pink A4 sheet of paper stating that I must include proof of my NZ registration and include the pink A4 sheet in with the ITA submission of documents.

Claim it!:thumbsup:

PS. The 11 years of work experience you mentioned......if you claim for the whole 11 years, you do have to back it up with references from all the varying work placements, which is something you will need to think about re the NZ work experience