British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Points indicator and actual points - what's changed?! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/points-indicator-actual-points-whats-changed-515468/)

KAO Feb 19th 2008 8:41 am

Points indicator and actual points - what's changed?!

Hey all,
A bit confused, before the new year I did a points check to see if we would be eligible for a visa app on my husband's 10 year IT experience, and the indicator said somewhere around 140 points due to it being in demand and on shortage list etc...

I completed the EOI last night and am puzzled as to why we only have 70 points and can't apply. I'm gutted.
The only points we have are character and work experience. Language and all else doesn't seem to count.
Has anything changed?

scottishnomad Feb 20th 2008 12:55 am

Re: Points indicator and actual points - what's changed?!

Originally Posted by KAO (Post 5952785)
Hey all,
A bit confused, before the new year I did a points check to see if we would be eligible for a visa app on my husband's 10 year IT experience, and the indicator said somewhere around 140 points due to it being in demand and on shortage list etc...

I completed the EOI last night and am puzzled as to why we only have 70 points and can't apply. I'm gutted.
The only points we have are character and work experience. Language and all else doesn't seem to count.
Has anything changed?

Does he have any quals? A Job Offer?

I work in IT, with 6 years experince and I got 135 points, mainly down to the fact I was in employment, the experince and also outside Auckland gives you 10 extra bonus points.

If he does have quals, they will need be assesed by NZQA, so he can claim points.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Scottish N

himmeus Feb 20th 2008 4:03 pm

I sympathise with you as we have found we are in the same boat and dont know why.Its so frustrating

nena11 Feb 20th 2008 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by KAO (Post 5952785)
Hey all,

Has anything changed?

Did you fill the part for the qualifications? Bachelor degree gives you around 50 points, I have the same experience as your husband and was able to claim 135

KAO Feb 21st 2008 6:54 am

He doesn't have a job offer or qualifications on paper, but are you saying you can work out the qualifications equivalent from his work experience and include that?

Which section is that in? He's been with the same company, in different roles, since 97 or 98.

KAO Feb 21st 2008 2:30 pm

Oh man I've read so much I'm getting brain liquidization and I haven't even got to submitting the EOI yet!

Confused as to a couple of comments;

Originally Posted by scottishnomad (Post 5956920)
I work in IT, with 6 years experince and I got 135 points, mainly down to the fact I was in employment, the experince and also outside Auckland gives you 10 extra bonus points.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Scottish N

Thanks SN, Do you have qualifications included in your total? My hubby is in employment with experience as yeo've mentioned you are.... what do you mean by 10 bonus points for outside Auckland?

Originally Posted by nena11 (Post 5960166)
Did you fill the part for the qualifications? Bachelor degree gives you around 50 points, I have the same experience as your husband and was able to claim 135

Thank you too Nena, did you put 'yes' for section F1? If so what part did you complete following that?

Do we need to have his experience assessed before we can complete this section?

himmeus, hope things work out for you guys - if you're in the same boat re: work experience then hopefully this will help you too?

K

:blink::confused:

scottishnomad Feb 21st 2008 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by KAO (Post 5964636)
Oh man I've read so much I'm getting brain liquidization and I haven't even got to submitting the EOI yet!

Confused as to a couple of comments;

Thanks SN, Do you have qualifications included in your total? My hubby is in employment with experience as yeo've mentioned you are.... what do you mean by 10 bonus points for outside Auckland?

Thank you too Nena, did you put 'yes' for section F1? If so what part did you complete following that?

himmeus, hope things work out for you guys - if you're in the same boat re: work experience then hopefully this will help you too?

K

HI,

I dont have any quals. If you live and work outside Auckland they give you 10 bonus points.

Also worth checking the long/immediate skill shortage list, depedant what field of IT he is, he should fit into one of these catagories.

IF you are still unsure, I used a company in Wellington who gave me a free assesment, although there fees for the whole process were over the top, it gave me a good idea of how my process would work, would I be accepted and in my case, things I needed to do to be accepted. This stage of the process was also free. If you want the details send me a private mesage and I will e-mail you the contacts details of the company.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

Scottish N

KAO Feb 21st 2008 7:24 pm

pm sent. Thanku Scottish N ;)

nena11 Feb 21st 2008 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by KAO (Post 5964636)

K

Hi, yes I did but I do have a BSc in computer science which was pre-assessed by NZQA in that section I also claimed points for absolute shortage occupation which includes the majority of IT roles

But it may be better to go with Scottish suggestion as his situation is more similar to yours

Thanks for the good whishes, hope your application is also successful :thumbsup: