British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Points Help Please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/points-help-please-700951/)

Tom365 Jan 16th 2011 10:34 pm

Points Help Please

Hi,

My partner and I are now a couple of weeks into learning about NZ
immigration. We are learning fast but would appreciate help from anyone
on our best guesstimates for points!

I am a signwriter with 12 years experience (with a national cert in engineering) she is an admin clerk (with a diploma in business management & admin)

I apply as principal as her job is not listed as a skill! - so far so good :thumbup:So I get a job offer (after the job was advertised etc. and employer could not fill position with New Zealander) - also understood.

Now Our Points
---------------
Principal (Me)
Offer of skilled employment - 50
Area outside Auckland - 10
Years Relavent Work Experience - 30
Age 37 -25
I have a Partner (yes)
My Partner Speaks Fluent English (yes)
My Partner has a recognised basic qualification (yes-diploma)

I calculated my points to be 135 POINTS??? on INZ website
(can my engineering cert be counted as a basic qualifcation to give me
a little more points??? even though it is not in my line of present work?)

My Better Half
---------------
Years Relavent Work Experience -30
Age 34 - 25
Has a Partner - POINTS?
Partner Speaks Fluent English -POINTS?
Partner has offer of skilled employment -POINTS?

We calculate her POINTS 125 on INZ website anyway.

Are we right????????? :confused:

Scousebird Jan 17th 2011 5:18 pm

Re: Points Help Please

Originally Posted by Tom365 (Post 9106607)
Hi,

My partner and I are now a couple of weeks into learning about NZ
immigration. We are learning fast but would appreciate help from anyone
on our best guesstimates for points!

I am a signwriter with 12 years experience (with a national cert in engineering) she is an admin clerk (with a diploma in business management & admin)

I apply as principal as her job is not listed as a skill! - so far so good :thumbup:So I get a job offer (after the job was advertised etc. and employer could not fill position with New Zealander) - also understood.

Now Our Points
---------------
Principal (Me)
Offer of skilled employment - 50
Area outside Auckland - 10
Years Relavent Work Experience - 30
Age 37 -25
I have a Partner (yes)
My Partner Speaks Fluent English (yes)
My Partner has a recognised basic qualification (yes-diploma)

I calculated my points to be 135 POINTS??? on INZ website
(can my engineering cert be counted as a basic qualifcation to give me
a little more points??? even though it is not in my line of present work?)

My Better Half
---------------
Years Relavent Work Experience -30
Age 34 - 25
Has a Partner - POINTS?
Partner Speaks Fluent English -POINTS?
Partner has offer of skilled employment -POINTS?

We calculate her POINTS 125 on INZ website anyway.

Are we right????????? :confused:

It's hard to comment as they are so individual - the only thing I can state is that immigration may calculate different points if they don't think you meet the criteria given.

Shazmoo Jan 17th 2011 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Scousebird (Post 9108235)
It's hard to comment as they are so individual - the only thing I can state is that immigration may calculate different points if they don't think you meet the criteria given.

Scouse bird how are you getting align with your immigration? I'd love a fellow scouser on the new Zealand shores! We arrived 3 weeks ago!
X

Scousebird Jan 17th 2011 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Shazmoo (Post 9108539)
Scouse bird how are you getting align with your immigration? I'd love a fellow scouser on the new Zealand shores! We arrived 3 weeks ago!
X

Lucky you! Having problems with my qualifications due to recent immigration changes but think all should be resolved with a job offer - although I'm crossing my fingers that my IQA will help me so I can stick to my timescales and my roundabout plan. It's a very frustrating process and it's times like these that I'm glad I'm scouse so I can think I'll look back and laugh about how hard it all was - like we laugh about Christmas day now waking up to no electricity or water and not even being able to flush the toilet for 3 days! Oh how we laugh!!! Have you settled well?? Hope it's all going to plan.

BEVS Jan 17th 2011 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Tom365 (Post 9106607)
Hi,

Hi again Tom365.

Ref: Your partner and her occupation. As her occupation is not recognised as a skilled occupation she could not apply as the principle candidate under the NZIS skilled migrant policy.

However, your occupation as a signwriter is classified by NZIS as a skilled occupation , so, she would apply on the back of your application. You would be the main applicant.

Are you following ? I know it's all a bit confusing to start with.

I am assuming here that she is your long-time partner and that you have been together for at least a year if not more ?

For you - You have already indicated that you don't have trade qualifications for signwriting but that you learnt 'on the tools'. You've also said you have an Australia TRA. You are hoping that this will be enough to prove to NZIS that you have the experience and skill for a signwriters job .

As you know, Signwriters are not in shortage here in NZ so any employer would need to prove there is no NZ PR or citizen that could do that work .

It would be 50 points for an NZIS approved full time permanent job offer if you had one.
Yes - It would be bonus points if the work was outside of Auckland.

Years relevant work exp - 30 points

Age - 25 points

Trade quals - nil

Your partner's diploma needs to be a qualification that is recognised by NZIS. If it is - 20 points. If not , then nil points.

As it stands, from what you say, you could be looking at 115 points if you get a job offer , which is approved by NZIS and is outside of Auckland. There is a possibility of a further 20 points if the OH's diploma is one NZIS recognise.

Tom365 Jan 17th 2011 8:26 pm

Hi Bevs,

You are back again to our rescue! Thankyou very much.

Yes I know we are relying on the fact no employer will be able to fill the position with a NZer... and they will have to jump through a few hoops - however while working for a sign company in Auckland for a short period of time in 2003 on a Working Holiday Visa there was certainly one and perhaps two guys from the UK who were employed by the owner this way. So difficult - Yes Unlikely - Yes but there is a chance and we will try. I may even write to the same company even for advice - hopefully they will remember me!

My partners Diploma was given in Damelin Business School Pietermaritzburg, South Africa how will she get this recognised also....if we are lucky is 135 a
good score?

Also even though a certificate I have an NCEA in Electrical Engineering.
Any chance of this being recognised as a basic qualification? even though
it is not in my line of work.

Thank you again - we are both going out in May but we will not be taking
too big risks as we are somewhat realistic in our chances.

BEVS Jan 17th 2011 8:46 pm

I couldn't see your partner's college or diploma listed under the Recognised Qualifications listings.

Here is the LINK to it. You need to scroll down to South Africa and check it out.

If you see it , then you can claim the 20 points.

If not, you will need to try for an NZQA assessment and :fingerscrossed: Do the PAR first.

Link to NZQA overseas assessments link is HERE.

BEVS Jan 17th 2011 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Tom365 (Post 9108727)
Also even though a certificate I have an NCEA in Electrical Engineering.

What went into this Eire NCEA ?

Tom365 Jan 17th 2011 10:05 pm

Hi Bevs,

My other half name is Karen and she says thank you! we will follow that up.:)

I did two years full time study in a college and was awarded a higher cert
(NCEA approved )electrical engineering this basically qualifies me as an electrical technician. One more year would be a Beng - degree. I left after two years.

If I can get this recognised does it matter that it does not relate to what
I work as now? Can I still take the points and who do I ask?

Tom365 Jan 17th 2011 10:26 pm

$404 to get qualifications assessed by NZQA is this worth it ?
Must read into this more:(
Back to Go

BEVS Jan 18th 2011 1:28 am

Go for a PAR not a full assessment. $138 NZD I think

EWRB
are the people that assess overseas electrical qualifications. From what I have read from sparkies etc in the past, this can be a bit of a nightmare.

If I can get this recognised does it matter that it does not relate to what
I work as now?
One can't mix and match as such. If you managed to get this recognised for 50 points as a trade qualification, you would then not be able to claim points for relevant years of work experience simply because you haven't worked at that trade.

Tom365 Jan 18th 2011 8:30 pm

Hi Bevs,

Thank you for that it seems better that I do not claim points for my
basic qualification but rather better to claim the points for all my years
experience in work. I will have plenty of evidence to support this.
I was simply hoping to get over the 140 points which I know would have
been a big help. Better to be realistic.

Karen
has less than 100 points without her qualification being recognised
which I persume means we would not get in full stop. even though she will be secondary on the back of me. I persume this qualification does not have to be tied to any skill ??(As she has no recognised one).

So our main focus now is finding out is her diploma for buisness management
and administration is going to be recognised. Last night she emailed the business school in Pietermaritzburg. I think it is SAIM diploma.
We will learn more before spending the fees for her NZQA assessment.

BEVS Jan 18th 2011 8:36 pm

You keep writing as though there will be two separate applications . There is no need for 2 separate applications unless you do not meet the partnership requirements ?
Is Karen your long time permanent partner ?

Only one of you will submit the EOI application as the main applicant. That will be you as a signwriter.
Your partner will appear within that application under family to go with you. To that effect it is a joint application.
The max points she can contribute therefore would be 20 to your application if her quals are recognised etc.

Tom365 Jan 18th 2011 10:15 pm

Hi Bevs,

That makes sense and yes she is my long term partner we have
been in a relationship for almost two years and are living together.
We rent a flat together and pay bills together etc.
We will gather evidence to prove that as I know it will be asked for.

Obviously Karen's points for qualification will help both of us. So we need
to work on that. Even though I will be be the one submitting the application. Understood.:thumbup:

Thank you from both of us again.