Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Points for experience in area on long term shortage list

Points for experience in area on long term shortage list

Old May 27th 2007, 7:39 am
patience...is a virtue!!!

reecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant future
Question Re: Points for experience in area on long term shortage list

Can you advise whether a confirmed job offer, gets you a visa.
I have no degree but been in retail since i left college 20 years ago?
Thanks
Martin
Old May 31st 2007, 5:37 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Points for experience in area on long term shortage list

It depends Reecefam.

If you are applying for a work visa under the skills shortages lists then your job must match the skill you are trained in. With the skills shortages, NZ employers don't have to prove that there is no Kiwi for the job, so are free to offer the job to an overseas person. NZIS know this, so provided the qualifications and skill plus work experience in the field match the job offer, then there will be no problem with the visa.

If the work isn't on the NZIS shortage lists then its a skill that NZIS don't see as being needed to be filled by an overseas person. In this case the NZ employer that wants to take you on has to prove that there is no Kiwi or Permanent Resident for the job. They do this by showing the adverts they placed , training they would do etc to NZIS. If NZIS are happy with this then the visa will be approved.

If yoou have ajob offer through what is called an acredited NZ employer [ there is a list of these on the NZIS site] then NZIS will approve your aplpication for a work visa provided your skills and experience match the job.
Old May 31st 2007, 6:02 am

reecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BEVS here
It depends Reecefam.

If you are applying for a work visa under the skills shortages lists then your job must match the skill you are trained in. With the skills shortages, NZ employers don't have to prove that there is no Kiwi for the job, so are free to offer the job to an overseas person. NZIS know this, so provided the qualifications and skill plus work experience in the field match the job offer, then there will be no problem with the visa.

If the work isn't on the NZIS shortage lists then its a skill that NZIS don't see as being needed to be filled by an overseas person. In this case the NZ employer that wants to take you on has to prove that there is no Kiwi or Permanent Resident for the job. They do this by showing the adverts they placed , training they would do etc to NZIS. If NZIS are happy with this then the visa will be approved.

If yoou have ajob offer through what is called an acredited NZ employer [ there is a list of these on the NZIS site] then NZIS will approve your aplpication for a work visa provided your skills and experience match the job.
That is brilliant...thanks.
I have been in retail since i left college 20 years ago and my job offer, is within retail, so by the sounds of it, the visa should be ok, as they are an accreditted firm, that you mentioned as well.
I take it my wife and 2 children would get a visa, on the back of mine being issued?
Martin
Old May 31st 2007, 11:44 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

If you are applying for a work visa then your wife must fill in her own work visa form. She will be applying under Partnership status so will be filling in A12 etc on the form. She will need to attach proof of long-term partnership. Marriage cert. Joint bills . That sort of thing. She will be grated an open work visa on the back of your application , so she can work for anyone at anything.

Your children of school age will need Student visa forms. Send them all off together or take 'em up to NZIS London and have a day out.

Oh ! and have some Karma coz why on earth not.

Last edited by BEVS; May 31st 2007 at 11:45 am. Reason: bung over some karma.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS here
If you are applying for a work visa then your wife must fill in her own work visa form. She will be applying under Partnership status so will be filling in A12 etc on the form. She will need to attach proof of long-term partnership. Marriage cert. Joint bills . That sort of thing. She will be grated an open work visa on the back of your application , so she can work for anyone at anything.

Your children of school age will need Student visa forms. Send them all off together or take 'em up to NZIS London and have a day out.

Oh ! and have some Karma coz why on earth not.
Sounds like a good idea!
Sounds like a lot of forms though!
How long do these Visa take to get authorised or rejected usually?