British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Points for experience in area on long term shortage list (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/points-experience-area-long-term-shortage-list-440921/)

stu_allen Apr 9th 2007 4:26 pm

Points for experience in area on long term shortage list

Hi,
I'm hopefully claiming 15 points for experience in an area of long term skills shortage (i'm an IT consultant). However, my degree is not in IT, its in Management & Philosophy...

All IT skills on the list bar one have "Degree-level (Level 7) qualification majoring in computer science, information science or information technology AND three years of relevant work experience". The work experience is not a problem -ive got 9 years of that. The one skill that hasnt got that listed just says "IT Professionals".

Any ideas whats going to happen? If i lost those 15 pts then i'm down to 100 with no job offer (with a job offer i'm in no problems), which scuppers that plan really!

simonmarkellis Apr 9th 2007 7:43 pm

Re: Points for experience in area on long term shortage list

Originally Posted by stu_allen (Post 4618209)
Hi,
I'm hopefully claiming 15 points for experience in an area of long term skills shortage (i'm an IT consultant). However, my degree is not in IT, its in Management & Philosophy...

All IT skills on the list bar one have "Degree-level (Level 7) qualification majoring in computer science, information science or information technology AND three years of relevant work experience". The work experience is not a problem -ive got 9 years of that. The one skill that hasnt got that listed just says "IT Professionals".

Any ideas whats going to happen? If i lost those 15 pts then i'm down to 100 with no job offer (with a job offer i'm in no problems), which scuppers that plan really!

I've done something similar, but i have an IT qualification which has been accessed as being at Level 6, and they initially said it would have to be at level 7 to substantiate itself, however they haven't thrown me out yet, having had my EOI selected from the pool in November. Without it i'm down to 105 pts with no job offer. You can but try and see and in the interim like myself try and get a job.

Twig Apr 10th 2007 11:29 am

Hi,

If you don't have the specified qualifications that are listed along side the job on the LTSSL - then you won't be allowed to claim points under the Absolute Skills Shortage List (either qualfications or work experience).

See:

http://www.emigratenz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10867

and:

http://www.emigratenz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9791

We considered going down the route of trying to claim points (as DH is a Design Engineer with 18 years exp but no degree - which is specified on the list) but we spoke to someone at London Expo (NZIS stand) and they confirmed this would not be wise. We have currently got 105 points but hope to get a job offer by Feb/March next year. I would recommend this route for you as you would have no problems in finding a job in your field.

I hope this helps alittle - good luck.

stu_allen Apr 10th 2007 2:30 pm

Thanks Twig. Not what i wanted to hear though!
Oh well, better get on with trying to follow up a few contacts then and secure a job!

stu_allen Apr 11th 2007 10:13 am

Well:

"Congratulations.

We are very pleased to confirm that your Expression of Interest has been selected from the Pool for further consideration.

We will conduct some preliminary checks of the information you have provided to determine whether your claim is accurate. Following this checking, you may be invited to apply for residence in New Zealand.

We wish you all the best with your Expression of Interest.
"

I wonder how long it will take for them to throw me back??!

simonmarkellis Apr 11th 2007 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by stu_allen (Post 4625596)
Well:

"Congratulations.

We are very pleased to confirm that your Expression of Interest has been selected from the Pool for further consideration.

We will conduct some preliminary checks of the information you have provided to determine whether your claim is accurate. Following this checking, you may be invited to apply for residence in New Zealand.

We wish you all the best with your Expression of Interest.
"

I wonder how long it will take for them to throw me back??!

Just got dumped back into the pool for the exact reasons Twig stated, they don't recognise work experience unless you have the relevant degree. So with 105 pts i'm back in the pool, so it's down to hard job hunting now....

Mind you it's taken them 5 months to come to this conclusion...

preetsangha Apr 16th 2007 10:45 am

Hi,

Stu, I would really recommend getting a job offer. Experience will count with the employer. I was consultant/contractor in the Uk from 12 years. I am now in a permie job in Auckland. I got the offer before I left and it really really speeded things up. :thumbsup:

happynz Apr 16th 2007 2:53 pm

My apparently useless Liberal Studies degree and a job as an English language teacher was okay with NZQA and NZIS and I got PR, god knows why. Must have been the combination of my sunny personality and after-shave...or sumpin li' dat.

;)

stu_allen May 23rd 2007 12:46 pm

Well....my ITA arrived this morning:confused:

So they cant have checked that hard. I'm now not sure whether to carry on, and find out they reject me after ive spent £££ on medicals, police checks etc, or on the other hand carry on and hope they are similarly cursory with my application, or on yet another hand (foot?!) delay my ITA whilst trying to find a job, as ive got four months from today to hand it in.

Or the last foot which is hmm, i'm not quite so sure about all this after reading about a lot of the negatives, perhaps i should look at canada again in more detail.

happynz May 23rd 2007 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by stu_allen (Post 4819663)

So they cant have checked that hard. I'm now not sure whether to carry on, and find out they reject me after ive spent £££ on medicals, police checks etc, or on the other hand carry on and hope they are similarly cursory with my application, or on yet another hand (foot?!) delay my ITA whilst trying to find a job, as ive got four months from today to hand it in.

Or the last foot which is hmm, i'm not quite so sure about all this after reading about a lot of the negatives, perhaps i should look at canada again in more detail.

Go for it. Something like 97% of all ITAs are approved. Go for it! Don't worry about the money. Money is a renewable resource. It ain't that much in the big scheme of things.

P2L May 24th 2007 5:29 am

I agree, go for it :thumbup:

Just make sure you go overboard on the work evidence. It all needs to be official stuff, on headed paper, pay slips, job descritpions references etc. You honestly can't put too much in!!

In the meantime, get yourself a job offer!! It'll make your application more secure.

Good Luck ;)

Maz May 24th 2007 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by stu_allen (Post 4819663)

Congrats to you! My EOI got chucked back in the pool. It's currently languishing there with 115 points so we're just going for it, selling up and moving there. Once I have a job offer (we've already done a recce and I had a 2nd interview with the largest consulting company for my area of expertise) we're in like flint. :thumbup:

Best of luck with your ITA!

simonmarkellis May 25th 2007 4:27 pm

My EOI has expired now, but having previously submitted it claiming points for qualification in and area of absolute skills shortage as well as work experience in and area of ......., they deducted the points as i didn't have a degree. Should i re submit it claiming just the points for the work experience. Which would give me 115 in total and see what happens. I already have a letter from my employer at the time stating that i was employed as a systems analyst for those two years.

Advice/opinions sought...

Simon

Maz May 25th 2007 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis (Post 4831087)
My EOI has expired now, but having previously submitted it claiming points for qualification in and area of absolute skills shortage as well as work experience in and area of ......., they deducted the points as i didn't have a degree. Should i re submit it claiming just the points for the work experience. Which would give me 115 in total and see what happens. I already have a letter from my employer at the time stating that i was employed as a systems analyst for those two years.

Advice/opinions sought...

Simon

PM coming your way. :)

simonmarkellis May 25th 2007 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 4832218)
PM coming your way. :)

One returned to you:thumbup: