British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Points check help please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/points-check-help-please-814171/)

Hazelnut Nov 5th 2013 9:11 am

Points check help please

HI, I last checked this a while ago and we had 145 points but I've checked again and it seems higher so I think I'm doing something wrong. Can a very kind soul check for me please?

Going in husband as first applicant and me as spouse.

Do you have an offer of skilled employment in New Zealand? He will have as he's already been asked to visit companies during our fact finding trip and there seems to be a real shortage. We wouldn't come over unless he had an offer.

Is your work... areas of absolute skills shortage? Yes

Is your work or offer of employment for a location outside of Auckland in New Zealand? Yes, it has to be, we couldn't afford a house in Auckland! Assuming Waikato or Coromandel fall outside what's classed as Auckland area?

Do you have a recognised qualification? (level 7 or 8) Yes

Do you have a qualification in any one of New Zealand's areas of absolute skills shortage? Yes. Can we claim points for this question as well as for job offer being in the skills shortage category?

Number of years of relevant work experience (anywhere) 10+ (actually nearer 30!)

Number of years work experience in any one of New Zealand's areas of absolute skills shortage ? 6yrs (is this another we can't claim points for this if we're claiming for relevant work experience above?

Was the work experience gained in a comparable labour market?
Yes

What is your current age? 50-55

Do you have a partner? Yes

Would your partner have the required English proficiency to qualify as a principal applicant? Yes

Does your partner have a recognised qualification ? (level 7, 8, 9 or 10) Yes

I'm hoping I would also gain skilled employment but husband earns more than me and is in the skills shortage area and I'm in the 'might find work eventually but your career is littered with unemployed NZ residents' category so it makes sense to move to where he could obtain work and then I'll start looking.

If I do all that it gives me a score of 200 which I'm sure is wrong as it's different to a year ago. Where am I going wrong please? I'm vaguely hopeful I'm not wrong as it would make emigrating much more of a possibility if we knew for sure that we could stay long term but I don't want to get my hopes up too much as the housing costs in NZ have already pretty much killed off our dreams.

Persephone Nov 5th 2013 3:52 pm

Re: Points check help please

I worked it out as 200 as well so it looks like you've worked it out correctly.
Remember that you're claiming 70 points for the job offer [50+10+10]

Work outside Auckland definition:

Employment is outside the Auckland region if the principal applicant's entire or principal place of work (as defined in section 2 of the Health and Safety in Employment Act 1992) is not within the territories covered by the Auckland Council.
You can claim for as many categories as you can prove!
Work experience: you can claim points for both work experience plus work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage [AASS] so 30+15 pts
You can claim for the bonus pts for a job offer in an AASS and also a qualification in an AASS, 10 pts for each.

Good luck with the job hunting, Nutty [can I call you that?:D]
P:)

MrsFychan Nov 5th 2013 5:43 pm

even with 145 you would get automatic selection, so I would say go for it

Hazelnut Nov 5th 2013 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 10977733)
I worked it out as 200 as well so it looks like you've worked it out correctly.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Good luck with the job hunting, Nutty [can I call you that?:D]
P:)
That was part of the reason for choosing the name ;)

Husband seems less keen the closer we are to fact finding trip and the higher the house prices go but this is a light in a bit of a dark space.

Hazelnut Nov 5th 2013 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10977944)
even with 145 you would get automatic selection, so I would say go for it

I was wrong, it was 135 now I've looked back at paperwork. Tantalisingly close but not enough.