Plumber dreaming of NZ move

Old May 4th 2018, 9:51 am
Just Joined

ChrisF82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Plumber dreaming of NZ move

Hi everyone, (i posted this on another part of this site so hoping its in the right place now)

I spent 6 months travelling NZ back in 2009 and absolutely fell in love with the country. At the time, the recession had hit in and every job that become available was rightly offered to NZ citizens first. (I'm sure this hasn't changed) But this did impact (at the time), how many jobs were available for travellers on a WHV.
I am actually a plumber by trade, with over 16 years working in the industry.
My dream would be to move permanently but I am a little unsure on the best ways to gain a visa.
I have heard/ been told a couple of things which i hoped somebody may be able to confirm for me-

1- the best way to get a visa is apply and secure a job offer , get a sponsorship with the company, then work towards becoming a NZ registered plumber once in the country and working.
2- You can't get offered plumber jobs unless you are already in NZ.

I know that if I want to work as a plumber, I will need to get NZ registration once I am there , which I am more than happy with. I understand this will come at a cost, etc. I guess what I am really looking for is some guidance on what the best route to go down is?

I guess the million dollar question is = Where do you look for plumbing jobs, in hope of gaining that golden ticket? (or visa should i say.... )

I have been looking on job websites, but it seems 90% of the jobs advertised are either completely out dated, or they are posted by recruitment consultants (not the actual companies direct). The one recruitment consultant who took time to email me, didn't really shed much light - All she said was what I mentioned above. Basically, I am no use to her unless i'm already shacked up in NZ with my tool bag, ready to set to work!!

I will end this post now, because I am waffling on. I understand this is probably a post which has popped up on this forum a few million times before, and for that I am sorry to repeat. But any information and advice would be so hugely appreciated.

Thanks for reading, and all the best.

Chris
Old May 4th 2018, 8:50 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plumber dreaming of NZ move

Hi Chris,

so plumber appears on two lists, the Skill Level and Canterbury Skills list. The Canterbury skills lists is a temp visa and as the name suggests you need to have a job offer from a company in the Canterbury region,
The Skill level visa is a visa that allows accredited companies to offer positions to overseas client without going through the rigmarole of proving to immigration that they have searched high and low within the two islands to fill the position. I believe quite a few tradies have been able to get jobs through a company called Canstaff so I think your first course of action would be to contact them and have a chat. They are very adapt in dealing with overseas applicants by all accounts.
Old May 4th 2018, 8:54 pm
BE Administrator

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisF82 View Post
Hi everyone, (i posted this on another part of this site so hoping its in the right place now)

Thanks for reading, and all the best.

Chris
Morning Chris.
Just wanted you to know I have seen this. I will be back later on.
We emigrated to NZ. Husband is a time served C&G advanced plumber/gasfotter and now fully NZ craftsman certifying plumber/gasfitter also.
Old May 5th 2018, 11:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrsFychan View Post
Hi Chris,

so plumber appears on two lists, the Skill Level and Canterbury Skills list. The Canterbury skills lists is a temp visa and as the name suggests you need to have a job offer from a company in the Canterbury region,
The Skill level visa is a visa that allows accredited companies to offer positions to overseas client without going through the rigmarole of proving to immigration that they have searched high and low within the two islands to fill the position. I believe quite a few tradies have been able to get jobs through a company called Canstaff so I think your first course of action would be to contact them and have a chat. They are very adapt in dealing with overseas applicants by all accounts.
Thank you so much for taking the time to message. I will get in touch with Canstaff now.
Old May 5th 2018, 11:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Morning Chris.
Just wanted you to know I have seen this. I will be back later on.
We emigrated to NZ. Husband is a time served C&G advanced plumber/gasfotter and now fully NZ craftsman certifying plumber/gasfitter also.
Hi Bevs
Thank you for messaging and I look forward to hearing back from you later.

Just so you know (your husband may understand my lingo lol) I am C&G NVQ Level 2, with tickets in unvented HWS, abrasive wheels, Part P basic electrical, water regs. Not sure if any of those are even worth the paper they are written on once entering NZ. I understand I would need to retrain to become NZ registered - which is no problem to me.
As for destinations - I would think Christchurch is my best hope for getting work.
I tell you what ... I will shut up and await your response later today/ tonight haha

All the best

Chris
Old May 22nd 2018, 6:52 am
Just Joined

Hi I posted here a couple of weeks back and just to give a little update. I have been in touch with Canstaff, but if I am being honest they are very slow to get back/ give me any advice. It's a bit annoying because I spent a few hours composing and introduction/ cover letter and an up to date CV. Feels like I have sent it to them for nothing.
I did confirm that I will need a job offer in writing before I am granted a visa of any kind.

Can anyone else please advise on the best ways to find jobs in NZ apart from them?

Went from having a glimmer of hope a couple of weeks ago, to now being faced with an uphill task.

I welcome any response.

Regards

Chris F
Old May 22nd 2018, 8:23 am
BE Administrator

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry. Other real life and BE things took over my end.

I suggest you contact Hays Canterbury and have a conversation with them.

As plumbers are not in shortage in New Zealand you really need the job offer to be in the Canterbury region. Also make sure it is good for a good 2/3 years if you are looking to remain in NZ.

Hays are an NZ Immigration accredited employer. They are recruitment but it does mean they are able to offer an overseas tradie a job.

If an employer is NOT NZ immigration accredited then it means they do have a hoop or two themselves to go through to be able to offer you a job. They have a form to fill in. They have to show they have advertised and that they offer training etc.

Did you do the NZQA assessment for the PGDB please?

Best to get that under your belt so you can uplift a limited licence once here.

I will send you a PM for one vacancy I know of. It is a bit of a shot in the dark AND you will have to convince them that you will come out at a drop of a hat and that it is a job offer first and then a visa.

Last edited by BEVS; May 22nd 2018 at 8:28 am. Reason: bluddy faded font is crap
Old May 23rd 2018, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

I'm sorry. Other real life and BE things took over my end.

I suggest you contact Hays Canterbury and have a conversation with them.

As plumbers are not in shortage in New Zealand you really need the job offer to be in the Canterbury region. Also make sure it is good for a good 2/3 years if you are looking to remain in NZ.

Hays are an NZ Immigration accredited employer. They are recruitment but it does mean they are able to offer an overseas tradie a job.

If an employer is NOT NZ immigration accredited then it means they do have a hoop or two themselves to go through to be able to offer you a job. They have a form to fill in. They have to show they have advertised and that they offer training etc.

Did you do the NZQA assessment for the PGDB please?

Best to get that under your belt so you can uplift a limited licence once here.

I will send you a PM for one vacancy I know of. It is a bit of a shot in the dark AND you will have to convince them that you will come out at a drop of a hat and that it is a job offer first and then a visa.
PM received thanks. May I ask where you found the company advertised? (just so i know for my opening letter)

I have contacted Hays this morning also. Watch this space I guess...

Regards

Chris

Last edited by BEVS; May 23rd 2018 at 8:02 pm. Reason: remove detail
Old May 23rd 2018, 8:03 pm
BE Administrator

PM received thanks. May I ask where you found the company advertised? (just so i know for my opening letter)

I have contacted Hays this morning also. Watch this space I guess...

Regards

Chris
I will PM
Old May 24th 2018, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

I will PM
Hi Bevs will wait to hear from you. Thanks as always. Chris
Old May 29th 2018, 2:34 am
BE Administrator

Hi Bevs will wait to hear from you. Thanks as always. Chris
I sent you a PM several days ago now but am not sure you picked that up at all.

I know of another vacancy that has just come up.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

I sent you a PM several days ago now but am not sure you picked that up at all.

I know of another vacancy that has just come up.
Hi Bevs I have acknowledged your PM and written to said companies. Thanks again for taking time to give advice. The dream move is still alive ( I hope).

Regards

CF