our Citizenship update

Old Mar 26th 2018, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

Celticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud of
Default our Citizenship update

Hi All,

Citizenship has been approved. Awaiting date for Ceremony now.

Ian.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: our Citizenship update

If you are a resident what benefit do you get by having citizenship? As far as I can tell if you hold a NZ passport you are restricted on how many days you can be out of NZ unless you go to Australia. If you are an approved resident you have to be there for a minimum of 44 days? per year and free to travel where you like for the rest of that time. Tier 1 investors seem to arrange this and enjoy freedom of movement.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah nah!
Old Mar 26th 2018, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really torn whether or not we should go for citizenship. We've had PR for the past 4 years so expect we are pretty safe to stay like this for the rest of our time here however long that may be. For us, citizenship will cost around $1500 when we've added the cost of passports etc.

Is it worth it ? - for the moment I'm not convinced.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 9:29 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

we got ours as the plan was always to get it as soon as we could, also means if any of the rules change for PR visas it won't affect us
Old Mar 26th 2018, 8:58 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemike
As far as I can tell if you hold a NZ passport you are restricted on how many days you can be out of NZ unless you go to Australia.
That sounds odd, do you have a link to that info?
Old Mar 27th 2018, 3:11 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemike
If you are a resident what benefit do you get by having citizenship? As far as I can tell if you hold a NZ passport you are restricted on how many days you can be out of NZ unless you go to Australia. If you are an approved resident you have to be there for a minimum of 44 days? per year and free to travel where you like for the rest of that time. Tier 1 investors seem to arrange this and enjoy freedom of movement.
Originally Posted by simonsi
That sounds odd, do you have a link to that info?

Yeh Nah, you are restricted on a RV visa which has travel conditions, if you are on this visa you will not have a NZ Passport. Travel conditions can be removed if you met the criteria after 2 years.
I cannot imagine any circumstance where having a NZ Passport - which you can only get if you are a Citizenship, would restrict your travel.

Last edited by MrsFychan; Mar 27th 2018 at 7:02 am.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Nope.

A person is restricted on travel when holding a Resident Visa (RV) once the 2 year travel condition expires.

To solve this issue the most favourable course of action is PR as this visa does not have any travel conditions or restrictions......much the same as citizenship.

So again I see no reason why I should pay $1500 for the privilege of holding an NZ passport. I see no benefit.
Since I have PR, it is highly unlikely Immigration will back track on the rules and regulations that were agreed at the time I was approved for PR. The visa conditions may change going forward but those changes wouldn't be back dated.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
I'm really torn whether or not we should go for citizenship. We've had PR for the past 4 years so expect we are pretty safe to stay like this for the rest of our time here however long that may be. For us, citizenship will cost around $1500 when we've added the cost of passports etc.

Is it worth it ? - for the moment I'm not convinced.
I have dual New Zealand and British citizenship now.

On a day-to-day basis there is no difference to my life having NZ Citizenship above NZ Permanent Residence.

I don't trust governments not to change the rules to my disadvantage when it suits them and immigration is one of those 'issues' that crop up in politics around the world regularly so I wanted to eliminate the risk (Mrs Clappy took the same approach when she lived in Britain - she was born in NZ so both us are now dual-citizens of both countries).
Old Mar 27th 2018, 10:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticknight
Hi All,

Citizenship has been approved. Awaiting date for Ceremony now.

Ian.
Excellent news. Start practicing your singing
Old Apr 5th 2018, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clappy

On a day-to-day basis there is no difference to my life having NZ Citizenship above NZ Permanent Residence.

I don't trust governments not to change the rules to my disadvantage when it suits them and immigration is one of those 'issues' that crop up in politics around the world regularly so I wanted to eliminate the risk (Mrs Clappy took the same approach when she lived in Britain - she was born in NZ so both us are now dual-citizens of both countries).
This ☝🏼

There are any number of situations that could mean that you’re left a bit stuck, most of them dont bear thinking about because they might relate to breakdowns in relationships and death. Or are out of ones control because the government decides.

I’ve applied for citizenship and am now waiting to hear the result of that application.

In my circumstance my wife and child are already dual nationals (UK + NZ) and I’m just here on PR.

If life decides to blindside me in unforeseeable ways one Tuesday afternoon, I figure that having citizenship and a passport safeguards me for the rest of my life from any additional complications. A bit like insurance!! 😁

It’s a bit cynical perhaps, but the goalposts might move at any time and it usually isn’t in your favour as an immigrant.
Old Apr 6th 2018, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
This ☝🏼

There are any number of situations that could mean that you’re left a bit stuck, most of them dont bear thinking about because they might relate to breakdowns in relationships and death. Or are out of ones control because the government decides.

I’ve applied for citizenship and am now waiting to hear the result of that application.

In my circumstance my wife and child are already dual nationals (UK + NZ) and I’m just here on PR.

If life decides to blindside me in unforeseeable ways one Tuesday afternoon, I figure that having citizenship and a passport safeguards me for the rest of my life from any additional complications. A bit like insurance!! 😁

It’s a bit cynical perhaps, but the goalposts might move at any time and it usually isn’t in your favour as an immigrant.
Neither of us are really taking on-board that 'she'll be right' approach are we?

Maybe we should both be trying harder to integrate
Old Apr 12th 2018, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

In the future there may be places which will welcome NZ citizens but be less keen on UK (or whatever it morphs into) citizens.

Or perhaps vice versa.

If you can afford it a second passport can be good insurance against the future.

As far as I know the main thing to avoid is to travel outbound on one passport then try to travel back on the other because this can leave various systems confused. If immigration are searching for you because they think you have over stayed your tourist visa they won't be happy if you try to come in again with no evidence of having left.

Also, if you are travelling on an NZ passport you may have to rely on NZ consulate support even though you are also a UK citizen. No biggie, just something to factor in.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Neither of us are really taking on-board that 'she'll be right' approach are we?

Maybe we should both be trying harder to integrate
Hahaha!!

To be fair, having a wife who has worked for both DIA and Immigration in recent years has meant I’ve heard a number of stories about people in the ‘she’ll be right’ camp who, well, dont end up ‘right’.

Nothing wrong with eliminating risk!!

To the OP (CelticKinight) are you still awaiting dates or are you in?